Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
    Houston 17 offensive rebounds -- thar she blows
    Big Vik 3 rebounds 0 pts. Bandaogo 1 rebound 8 pts. that there is the story.

Comment

• I don't want to hear anymore excuses about Lakhin being sick! His play has regressed for close to 3wks now...

Comment

• I know losing so many games is difficult, but I've felt all season that we're close. I hope we don't see a return of the "fire the coach" commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carin's Dad View Post
          I know losing so many games is difficult, but I've felt all season that we're close. I hope we don't see a return of the "fire the coach" commentary.
          IMO the Coach is not the issue. I only question who he's playing at times, and why. And yes, we're real close! Lots of help incoming! Add Rayvon, and we're a better team going into next year!

Comment

• "I don't want to hear anymore excuses about Lakhin being sick! His play has regressed for close to 3wks now..."

BearKatz, it's been longer than that. It's been ever since the conference schedule began. Lahkin is Kalu Ezikpe all over again. Deja Vue 2.0. Could compete adequately in the AAC but yet not excel. A proverbial wallflower when up against basketball players or those who are physically equal to him. He's obtained the mentality of a guard but in a forwards body and wishes to avoid contact. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement but I would do to him what Miller did to Ezikpe last year, sit him on the bench, give the minutes to Reynolds and Oguama. At least they try to get into position for rebs. Any chemistry that exists on this team is deteriorating because everyone sees VL's lack of commitment, preparedness, and lack of energy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
              "I don't want to hear anymore excuses about Lakhin being sick! His play has regressed for close to 3wks now..."

BearKatz, it's been longer than that. It's been ever since the conference schedule began. Lahkin is Kalu Ezikpe all over again. Deja Vue 2.0. Could compete adequately in the AAC but yet not excel. A proverbial wallflower when up against basketball players or those who are physically equal to him. He's obtained the mentality of a guard but in a forwards body and wishes to avoid contact. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement but I would do to him what Miller did to Ezikpe last year, sit him on the bench, give the minutes to Reynolds and Oguama. At least they try to get into position for rebs. Any chemistry that exists on this team is deteriorating because everyone sees VL's lack of commitment, preparedness, and lack of energy.
              I couldn't agree with you more Brother....

Comment

• Here's the Box score.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401603465

Interesting stats of note: We only got out rebounded by 7 total but Houston had 8 more offensive rebounds which led them to take 14 more shots from the field than UC did. The teams shot similar percentages across the board so this was the difference in the game.

J'Wan Roberts absolutely killed us and he did it fairly quietly. He was the one guy who shot a decent percentage in this game. We did a decent job on Shead, who went a total of 8-31 from the floor in 38 minutes.

Viktor Lakhin had a bad day to say the least. Bad shot selection and a lack of block outs, not that anyone can really block out Houston very well. He had a similar time against Houston last season in the AAC tourney. He is just not made to play against athletic jump out of the gym guys like Houston has. Regardless, can we not boo our own guys please? What was that?

Wes did the right thing by getting Reynolds on the floor in this game. He's better equipped to handle the physicality of the Cougars.

Aziz gets a pass from me even though his stat line is underwhelming. He's never played Houston before and I'm not sure watching them on film is anything like being on the floor with them.

Newman, Jizzle and Dan came to play in this one. Everyone else was little off it seemed.

Credit to Simas for getting as many rebounds as he managed in a game where they're at a premium.

I'm glad CJ got in but I'm also glad he didn't stay out there. Houston present all kinds of defensive problems with that on the ball double team and CJ doesn't rebound much. Not the right game for him to pick up minutes in.

Officiating was borderline comically bad. The missed calls were frequent and obvious on TV. The no call on the foul attempt at the end of the game was the icing on the cake with them. I really don't understand how this conference has the best teams and seemingly has the worst officials.

I'll be interested to see how some of the new guys do on the road against UH now that they know what's up.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Houston has been at the top of Kenpom all year for a reason, they are a legit elite 8 team this year. So I can't be disappointed that their defense, skill, speed prevailed. They crash the boards as a team. The bottom line is Cinci still got enough stops and rebounds to be in the game at the end. The problem is really on the offensive end. Lahkin was useful in the sense that he gave the offense a shape and you know that the ball could go down into the post and get kicked back out to a shooter now and then. But against this level of talent, he is a little slow and a Houston is good enough to collapse down on him, and without him we don't really see anybody getting clean looks. We wind up passing the ball around the perimeter and not getting good looks.

Comment

• Tough loss. We were decent but not great on both sides of the ball. We came up just short of scoring a point per possession, which is no small feat against Houston. The gameplan was good - we got to the rim and free throw line a lot and only committed 8 turnovers. We just couldn't convert and only rebounded 27% of our misses. Still, I'm happy with the offensive philosophy we showed today.

I liked the defense too. We forced them into a ton of midrange shots. Shead went 2 of 13 from midrange. And we did a tremendous job defending the three point line, holding them to just 3 of 16. We just couldn't clean up the glass. That's expected against Houston, but we had to do better to win. They rebounded over 40% of their misses.

Player of the game for us was Newman, sporting a 9.3 box plus minus and 2.4 net points. He and Simas were the only players with more than 3 defensive rebounds. The bigs have to do a better job of looking for bodies when the shot goes up, rather then just getting in front of the rim and jumping. None of our bigs did a good job of that. Vik, Day Day, and Simas all had negative net points.

On to Iowa St.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                      "I don't want to hear anymore excuses about Lakhin being sick! His play has regressed for close to 3wks now..."

Vik averaged 13ppg, 6 REB, 2.5 Assist, 1 Block and almost 2 Steals per game in the first 4 games of the BiG 12..:alll against ranked teams. And you’re gonna comment that he is a wallflower? The chemistry is deteriorating because of his lack of energy? He can only play in the AAC??? GTFO!

not to mention he is the only one who came to play against X the past 2 years.

Maybe coach should go back to playing him where is best suited…in the paint.

if you’re going to comment on a lack of boxing out or hustle, point that finger at Reynolds. And for sure count the number of rebounds wrestled away from Aziz. He’s lucky he made his free throws tonight…otherwise he useless on offense except if it’s an alley oop.

Stop being such a hater.

Comment

• Tough loss, we had our chances. Vik is definitely struggling but hopefully he can turn it around because he can definitely contribute. The glaring weakness that I noticed was the failure to BOX OUT. This is a fundamental issue that needs to be a focal point for the coaching staff. This Houston team plays with the toughness of some our old Bearcat teams. I do enjoy watching this team. Go Bearcats

Comment

• Let's face it. Houston's game plan was to exploit UC's inside defense. It worked. Houston's big men as a group hit for 30 points and had 17 rebounds (9 were offensive). UC's big men went for 16 and only had 8 (eight) rebounds (2 were offensive by Reynolds). I am NOT sure what has happened to Lakhin. He now always appears to be confused and has clearly lost some confidence. Aziz does NOT know how to play basketball. Aziz is very very limited with what he can do. Once again, Aziz was clearly embarrassed by weak defensive play. Aziz does not know how to use his size. All he has to do under the rim is raise his arms and force smaller players to shoot over him. It appears that he is being taught to shot block everything around the rim. He needs to learn to stay on the floor and play strong positional defense as opposed to just jumping to block the shot. Yancey Gates was very good at playing defense without being a shot blocker.

Clearly some changes should now be made if UC is going to salvage the rest of the season. The team is NOT getting enough from its big men. We have seen enough of Lakhin and Aziz as the starting front line. Although they have size, they are slow and are not good positional defenders. Smaller athletic big men give them problems. Big men that can step outside and shoot the three give them problems. A glaring lack of toughness is one of the main issues with Lakhin and Aziz. Houston had the tougher front line yesterday. It is embarrassing when a SMALLER front line comes into the home gym and pushes the home team around. Maybe it is time for Miller to try Reynolds and Oguama has a starting front line. Even though they have some defensive problems as well, with their athleticism, toughness, and being more familiar with how North American style basketball is played, they may actually be a more productive front line than Aziz and Lakhin. By the way, Newman had ten (10) rebounds yesterday. Lakhin had 3, Aziz had 1, and Reynolds had 4. In other words, Newman had more rebounds than all of UC's big men combined. That should tell Miller all that he needs to hear or see.
                          Last edited by leeraymond; 02-11-2024, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

Vik averaged 13ppg, 6 REB, 2.5 Assist, 1 Block and almost 2 Steals per game in the first 4 games of the BiG 12..:alll against ranked teams. And you’re gonna comment that he is a wallflower? The chemistry is deteriorating because of his lack of energy? He can only play in the AAC??? GTFO!

not to mention he is the only one who came to play against X the past 2 years.

Maybe coach should go back to playing him where is best suited…in the paint.

if you’re going to comment on a lack of boxing out or hustle, point that finger at Reynolds. And for sure count the number of rebounds wrestled away from Aziz. He’s lucky he made his free throws tonight…otherwise he useless on offense except if it’s an alley oop.

Stop being such a hater.
                            nobody is a hater/ I do hate that cliche though. It seems in today's world that if anybody has a different opinion than another, then it isn't a logical discussion and so they must be haters. Learn how to talk about the game and not the posters. This generation has lost the ability to discuss issues in a mature manner. Now I will say that none of the bigs puts a body on any, but VIK keeps slightly moves away from the action under th rim instead of forcing his weight in there. I firmly believe his ever dwindling stats attest to that and not an opinion. You try hard at whatever position the coach puts you and not whine by your playing. Effort is independent of position- Skill perhaps, but at least put up an effort. You can't be quick to the rim when you are off balanced leaning back from the rim. Watch the replay and I think you will see that.I know of some former coaches who would give you the select position of the bench - wait CWM is starting to do that. Rufus backed up his comments with stats and not whining.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post
                              Tough loss, we had our chances. Vik is definitely struggling but hopefully he can turn it around because he can definitely contribute. The glaring weakness that I noticed was the failure to BOX OUT. This is a fundamental issue that needs to be a focal point for the coaching staff. This Houston team plays with the toughness of some our old Bearcat teams. I do enjoy watching this team. Go Bearcats
                              You can't box out when you are leaning backwards. You must get in there and throw a body on some. Houston, though smaller, put two bodies on Reynolds at the line. They knew nobody else would make an effort and a third player came up and got the rebound while the rest of the Cats were watching. I hate to say it , but well coached players playing as they practiced. You have to appreciate the teamwork from a smaller squad.

Comment

• We were teaching my 6 year old granddaughter to rebound. She understands weak side percentages, eyes on the ball while also on the opponent BUTTTTTTTTTTTT. She said put an elbow on the other player. NO - As you put your elbow slightly hunch and with your shoulder and upper body put it on your opponent. As you do, turn your body so you a fence between your opponent and the coming down ball. It is quite the advantage even without superior height and it often not only gets the rebound, but an over the back call on your opponent. Their motion just can't stop. It also begins as CWM says to "piss them off". The refs usually are watching the feet so you can be brutal. Under the rim they usually miss the box and only see the opponents motion coming down on your back. The opponent is moving forward so their motion when they go up is only stopped by your back. At least, that is how it was 60 years ago. It is being all in and not starting to lean back. (She also doe ballet and cheer leading), but likes BB.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X