Oklahoma St. 2/21 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bearcatrunner View Post
    In my mind it is simply on the coaching staff right now. Stop trying to be their best friend and be their coach. Skilling's should have been benched after the first lazy turnover an you throw in Anythony or Jizzle. Bandaogo taking an ill advised three pointer at a critical point in the game. Why that is not his job! Bench him and remind him what his job is again and put Reynolds in.

Press the other team to tire them out! We have the numbers and it gets more of our skilled players on the floor. Our team never looks tired at the end of the game. Which is a credit to them and the coaching staff for having them in shape, so use it to your advantage! We are wasting so many good players on the bench and such a good rebounding team all because the coaching staff can't teach other defenses or how to maximize the roster.

I don't miss Huggins because I was never a fan of some of his stuff. However, he knew how to get his players under control, fired up and he knew how to coach defense. This team has everything we need to be successful which is what is driving me crazy. For so many years that has not been true. We were out coached once again last night and I'm up in the air on Wes because he put this good team together but he is also the one who is killing it.
    were you a fan of his winning?

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
      We didn't lose that game last night for lack of scoring. It wasn't really bad defense for the most part. Ok St is not usuallyu a great shooting team, but they were hot from beyond the arc last night. Tough pill to swallow losing to a much lower ranked Net team who was winless on the road in conference play, but sometimes the other team just hits the shots you expect them to miss.
      why do you think they were hot last night when they were not hot most of the year. They were traveling, strange rims and at the beginning a hostile home crowd. Why were they hot is what makes me wonder. Did our lack of defense help them. I know they threw up shots at the last of the clock and they went in, but did we think the clock was buzzing and so we slackened our defense? I am sorry for posting so much guys, but that game was very winnable and I hate to lose.

Comment

• This team goes as Skillings goes. He is the driving force, the one who can create his own shots and not afraid to do so. With that said if he's bad we don't win, if he's good we do win. With the way he was making lazy passes and turning it over last night you almost have to keep him on the bench alternating with CJ and Reed. Let Newman become more freer to create on offense. Skillings is going to be a star one day but as of now when he tries to do everything on his own he's too much of a liability.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

why do you think they were hot last night when they were not hot most of the year. They were traveling, strange rims and at the beginning a hostile home crowd. Why were they hot is what makes me wonder. Did our lack of defense help them. I know they threw up shots at the last of the clock and they went in, but did we think the clock was buzzing and so we slackened our defense? I am sorry for posting so much guys, but that game was very winnable and I hate to lose.
          That game was frustrating in many ways. We had some defensive lapses that led to open shots at the rim and inside the arc, but most of the threes were well contested and they got hot down the stretch. They were only 7/17 from 3, but made 13 of 14 free throws. I don't think a player getting hot has much to do with defense, some nights a guy just cannot miss. Last night was like that for both numbers 14 and number 12. We missed some rebounds, but we only had 2 fouls for the half until last two minutes of the second half. We should've held that team to scoe in the 60's not 80. We would've held them to the upper 60's if they missed two threes, and hit their typical 60% from free throws, plus we wouldn't have given them extra free throws at the end. The defense didn't account for the Fts or the extra three-pointers made.
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Too many silly turnovers when the defense can't see the floor, play as one and fall for freshman dribble fakes. That back door was wretched. Therefore, since the defense can't adjust to the opponent, those tos were the difference to me. No defense was acknowledged in that game, so to win your offense had to be better. It wasn't. CWM was besides himself and was reduced to mumbling about the defensive mistakes and his continual mantra - We will get better ---- I wish Terry would have asked "when".. Let's give CWM another year. Sure he will basically have 3 frosh, but he knows what is needed in the portal. Heck we all know. -- A floor leader who directs both sides of the court and a mean spirited defender.-- You know, an old fashioned Bearcat.

I heard this is how you win. Know your weakness. Adapt and overcome. You should be able to rebound and play defense every night. Shooting is often muscle memory and taking the right shot, but your head has to be in the game to play defense and rebound. Yes, a good pass, screens and spacing is important to the offense, but a scorer can score usually especially with that slow confused defense OSU has.. When you know your weakness is on seeing the court and reacting defensively, then you must adapt and overcome by scoring more points. The Cats just couldn't do that with crazy out of control drives in the first half and even worse senseless TOs in the second. Many talked about not adjusting. What pieces does CWM have to throw in there defensively? I would have liked to see ODY, but it wasn't to be. I am not talking stats here guys, but what was needed to win the game at hand considering your roster.

Do not let what you can't do interfere with what you can do.
            John Wooten
            It's not Wooten. It's Wooden.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wooden
            Last edited by Oldtimer_UC_fan; 02-22-2024, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatrunner View Post
              Bandaogo taking an ill advised three pointer at a critical point in the game. Why that is not his job! Bench him and remind him what his job is again and put Reynolds in.
              Bandaogo did not take a three last night. Reynolds took one with 5 on the shot clock if I remember right.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

That game was frustrating in many ways. We had some defensive lapses that led to open shots at the rim and inside the arc, but most of the threes were well contested and they got hot down the stretch. They were only 7/17 from 3, but made 13 of 14 free throws. I don't think a player getting hot has much to do with defense, some nights a guy just cannot miss. Last night was like that for both numbers 14 and number 12. We missed some rebounds, but we only had 2 fouls for the half until last two minutes of the second half. We should've held that team to scoe in the 60's not 80. We would've held them to the upper 60's if they missed two threes, and hit their typical 60% from free throws, plus we wouldn't have given them extra free throws at the end. The defense didn't account for the Fts or the extra three-pointers made.
                They were 23 of 37 inside the arc. That's over 60%. And it wasn't luck - they ran a 5 out offense and iso'd our 7 footers with quick forwards who can score in midrange. We let their pure shooter get off 6 threes and he made half of them. Letting an opponent play to their strengths is absolutely about the defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

It's not Wooten. It's Wooden.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wooden
                  you are so right. No excuses

Comment

you are so right. No excuses
                    C'mon Leo, you could have invoked spellcheck or autocorrect here and been off the hook. LOL.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by sedz View Post
                      They were 23 of 37 inside the arc. That's over 60%. And it wasn't luck - they ran a 5 out offense and iso'd our 7 footers with quick forwards who can score in midrange. We let their pure shooter get off 6 threes and he made half of them. Letting an opponent play to their strengths is absolutely about the defense.
                      so what is our counter when it is our turn with the ball and we throw it away. We know how we lost. How do we win when things are not working in the actual game. We need a couple more impact players. Maybe more than a shooter as most can shoot. That is why last night it wasn't luck but shooters practice for hours and when given an opening, they usually score. Oh for a floor leader on both sides of the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by sedz View Post
                        I'm going to disgree somewhat. The defense was subpar last night for sure but this is on the staff for lack of preparation and lack of adjustments. We (on this board?) knew coming in what these guys were and it's like the staff didn't scout or players didn't execute that scouting report. I don't know what causes that unless the team has hit a wall.

I'm wondering if the travel schedule in this conference is having an effect on the team. Mike Rehfeldt has all kinds of recovery equipment and methods at his disposal to get these guys ready so I don't think it's on him or his staff for sure.
                        Last edited by Lobot; 02-22-2024, 01:40 PM.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

C'mon Leo, you could have invoked spellcheck or autocorrect here and been off the hook. LOL.
                          I know --- so from now on here they are put them in where they belong/.,<>?":}{{}++ abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz. -- Thanks for the coaching and you are 100% right. I will be more cautious in the future. I get carried away and to think I copied and pasted the quote, but changed the name to make it look better - regardless , I learned (I hope) and will forget as Coach W. said. LOL
                          Last edited by leo from jersey; 02-22-2024, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                            Wes's rotations continue to be an issue. I do not get his substitution patterns, like at all. It's almost like this team has too many guys that can really play on the roster to keep everyone happy.

The loss of a home court advantage under Wes is really puzzling.
                            My brother listened to the game on the radio last night. Apparently Terry said coach has to stop worrying about guy's feelings and get his best lineup on the court, or something like that.

Comment

• On NIT Bubble with couple more losses
                              mihht be a crosstown rematch….X destined for same

Comment

so what is our counter when it is our turn with the ball and we throw it away. We know how we lost. How do we win when things are not working in the actual game. We need a couple more impact players. Maybe more than a shooter as most can shoot. That is why last night it wasn't luck but shooters practice for hours and when given an opening, they usually score. Oh for a floor leader on both sides of the court.
                                We only had 5 second half turnovers (and 14 for the game, which isn't that bad and only half of them were live ball). How did the consensus here become that we threw the ball away on offense? We had 13 turnovers at Texas Tech, 15 against TCU, and 19 at BYU.

The solution to defensive issues is to fix the defensive issues. Not to try and play perfect offense and score 90 points.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X