No announcement yet.

Kansas State 3/2 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor point, but thanks to the refs and the PA announcer (if these are the people involved) who quickly told us why a play was being reviewed. Why hasn't this happened before?

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertFog View Post
      Minor point, but thanks to the refs and the PA announcer (if these are the people involved) who quickly told us why a play was being reviewed. Why hasn't this happened before?
      The NCAA just allowed this procedure this season.

Comment

• How should UC proceed with its offense after the Kansas State game? Skillings normally takes the most shots, where he is shooting at 40% in the conference. However, Newman is shooting 51% in the conference and had a heck-of-a-game Saturday night; hitting for 18. From my personal observations, I would say that Newman has a pretty good shooting eye. Why does Newman not take more shots? He really could make the difference going down the stretch. What do you think about Newman taking the majority of the shots instead of Skillings?

Comment

• I think Newman disappears offensively unintentionally due to his defensive assignments plus with DS trying to create some offense. As a result this scenario leads to chaos more often than not. I think DS could be a good ball player eventually but that's where developing players comes in. I think CWM needs to structure DS playing time to utilize his rebounding and scoring without him having to create his own offense. SL and Newman showed they can play well together and so DS needs to play with the other five without looking to shoulder the bulk of the offense.

Comment

• In my opinion, Newman should increase his usage so the PGs are taking fewer shots. Skillings isn't super efficient, but he's way better than Day Day and Jizzle chucking up midrange shots.

I've also expressed that since Dan and Jizzle are both head down drivers at this point in their careers, might as well play them with three defenders in a second unit. Put the guys who are good passers with good court vision out there together for the best fluid offense. It's hard to string together a series of good passes if you've got a guy who interrupts the offensive flow because he doesn't see the right pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by sedz View Post
              In my opinion, Newman should increase his usage so the PGs are taking fewer shots. Skillings isn't super efficient, but he's way better than Day Day and Jizzle chucking up midrange shots.

I've also expressed that since Dan and Jizzle are both head down drivers at this point in their careers, might as well play them with three defenders in a second unit. Put the guys who are good passers with good court vision out there together for the best fluid offense. It's hard to string together a series of good passes if you've got a guy who interrupts the offensive flow because he doesn't see the right pass.
              agree -- I have noticed their head down playing early on and I hoped they would get better. They have not. Do any remember the old dribble glasses. They were glasses with the bottom part obstructed that you couldn't see down, but always had to look up. There are other ways of correcting that, but that way you can work on it by yourself. Sadly, we need to teach young players how to dribble as a fundamental. A few in here don't like quotes. I see them as wonderful advice from winners. I keep going back to Oscar. Why? Because he is the best BB player of all time. he is also a Bearcat.

Basketball is basketball.

I think that everyone should be able to dribble. Everyone should be able to pass. Otherwise, why are you out there?

Now, I guess, people want stars. People are trying to invent stars.

It's like all guys want to do is make a dunk, grab their shirt and yell out and scream - they could be down 30 points but that's what they do. Okay, so you made a dunk. Get back down the floor on defense!

When you play against different people from all walks of life you can't do the same thing against every player defensively or offensively. You have to change up the way you go at a player.

Some players are more physical than others, some play with more finesse. Some are just really great all-around players. So you have to change your game.

But after that you don't see a lot of real good fundamental play. You see a showboat-type basketball which is almost parallel to street basketball. (My hero ball)

You don't cut anywhere, don't pick down anywhere, don't double screen, no weak side picking. All these things that should happen in a game of basketball don't happen anymore.

You need a teaching coach who understands the game of basketball, not just some guy coming on the court talking about Xs and Os.

You've got to learn the footwork, the positioning, how to box out, how to pass, how to shoot your free throws. All these things are necessary, not to be the No. 1 player in the world, but maybe you can play against him.

We want UC tradition -- It starts with the BIG O.
              Last edited by leo from jersey; 03-04-2024, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• o teach how to dribble with your on-side(weak) hand.
                Last edited by leo from jersey; 03-04-2024, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• I agree at the start of the game we should try to get Newman some early shots. If they are falling then keep feeding him. With that said I have seen some bad shooting games from him and some great ones from others. What I would love to see is for the cold shooters to not keep chucking up shots when they are cold for the coach to stop taking the hot shooters out of the game but instead to keep feeding them while they are hot.

Many keep talking about the shot SL made to win the game but he also missed the 4 shots before that which allowed the game to get close and turned the ball over. He was 5-13 but there have been nights where he has been really good. I thought Day Day was the star of the show and I am usually harsher on him then others. He was actually making layups and his line of 5 assists to 2 TO's was solid. He did have a costly TO at the end. Others have been hard on JJ but he shot 5 for 11 and had 4 assists to 2 TOs. I noticed
                  KSU changed defenses a few times and I really wish our coaching staff did that. It allowed them to get back into the game.

6:22 ---Simas Lukosius missed Three Point Jumper. 57 67
                  6:17 ---Simas Lukosius missed Three Point Jumper. 57 67
                  4:47 ---Simas Lukosius missed Three Point Jumper. 61 67
                  0:54 ---Simas Lukosius missed Layup. 72 71
                  0:10 ---Simas Lukosius made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Jizzle James. 72 74
                  Last edited by bearcatrunner; 03-04-2024, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatrunner View Post
                    I agree at the start of the game we should try to get Newman some early shots. If they are falling then keep feeding him. With that said I have seen some bad shooting games from him and some great ones from others. What I would love to see is for the cold shooters to not keep chucking up shots when they are cold for the coach to stop taking the hot shooters out of the game but instead to keep feeding them while they are hot. Many keep talking about the shot SL made to win the game but he also missed the 4 shots before that which allowed the game to get close and turned the ball over. He was 5-13 but there have been nights where he has been really good. I thought Day Day was the star of the show and I am usually harsher on him then others. He was actually making layups and his line of 5 assists to 2 TO's was solid. He did have a costly TO at the end. Others have been hard on JJ but he shot 5 for 11 and had 4 assists to 2 TOs. I noticed KSU changed defenses a few times and I really wish our coaching staff did that. It allowed them to get back into the game.
                    6:22 Simas Lukosius missed Three Point Jumper. 57 67
                    6:17 Simas Lukosius missed Three Point Jumper. 57 67
                    4:47 Simas Lukosius missed Three Point Jumper. 61 67
                    0:54 Simas Lukosius missed Layup. 72 71
                    0:10 Simas Lukosius made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Jizzle James. 72 74
                    but when others were afraid to take the shot SL did. He made it. Who was reedy to take it? Someone had to.Many won't take the last shot for fear of failure. What will others say.
                    Assist or aa desperate getting rid of the ball.

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. Michael Jordan

SL knew it had to be him and while he missed several shots, on the last shot, he succeeded. Folks we have a winner on this team who has earned the tittle of Bearcat.
                    Last edited by leo from jersey; 03-04-2024, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Please don't compare MJ and SL. If a guy hits the winning shot should we give him all the credit for winning the game even though he was costing us while playing? Versus a guy missing the winning shot but was single handily keeping us in the game? I'm pretty sure someone else would have taken the shot at the end of the game. Very few players at UC should ever be given the green light to shoot their way out of a funk. LaZelle Durden was one such player. My point here is that maybe when a player is cold they should work to get teammates baskets or need to sit on the bench to see who else might be hot. I also think that the quality of basketball has really gone down hill and my expectations are out of whack. I'm used to the Steve Logans, LaZelle Durden, Deonte Vaughn, Hicks, Burton, Stokes Levette, Herb Jones, Kilpaterick and Cumberlands. This was the best game we have had shooting the ball and it is crazy it came down to one shot. We should have blown this team out of the water the way we were scoring.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatrunner View Post
                        I agree at the start of the game we should try to get Newman some early shots. If they are falling then keep feeding him. With that said I have seen some bad shooting games from him and some great ones from others. What I would love to see is for the cold shooters to not keep chucking up shots when they are cold for the coach to stop taking the hot shooters out of the game but instead to keep feeding them while they are hot.

Many keep talking about the shot SL made to win the game but he also missed the 4 shots before that which allowed the game to get close and turned the ball over. He was 5-13 but there have been nights where he has been really good. I thought Day Day was the star of the show and I am usually harsher on him then others. He was actually making layups and his line of 5 assists to 2 TO's was solid. He did have a costly TO at the end. Others have been hard on JJ but he shot 5 for 11 and had 4 assists to 2 TOs. I noticed
                        KSU changed defenses a few times and I really wish our coaching staff did that. It allowed them to get back into the game.

6:22 ---Simas Lukosius missed Three Point Jumper. 57 67
                        6:17 ---Simas Lukosius missed Three Point Jumper. 57 67
                        4:47 ---Simas Lukosius missed Three Point Jumper. 61 67
                        0:54 ---Simas Lukosius missed Layup. 72 71
                        0:10 ---Simas Lukosius made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Jizzle James. 72 74
                        Newman has only had 5 bad shooting games the entire season (Dayton 1-7; Texas 1-6; Baylor 1-4; Iowa State 0-3; and the second Houston game 1-6). Other than these five games, Newman has been a pretty consistent scorer. He has the best scoring average (51%) of any of the other guards by a mile. Maybe it is time for Miller to feature the old men (Newman and Simas) as the primary shooters. They may make a nice one-two punch. UC SHOULD BE in desperation mode. They have scored poorly this first season in the BIG 12. Maybe they have found something in Newman and Simas as the primary shooters. The one thing that I like about Newman is that he does NOT take a lot of bad shots. Simas' shot selection is not bad either. Good shot selection helps with the winning process.

Newman does NOT shoot enough. The coaching staff has got to get Newman to be more aggressive on the offensive end of the floor WITHOUT FORCING IT. Newman may just be the spark that gets this team going down the stretch. Hopefully, Miller can see it too.
                        Last edited by leeraymond; 03-04-2024, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X