Women's Basketball Megathread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Basketball Megathread

The time has come to pay more attention here. Interst in the Women's program has been trending up for a while.

In the last two two recruiting cycles Katrina Merriweather and her staff have recruited a 2024 4 star scoring PG in Chloe Mann out of of Duncanville TX and a 2025 5 star guard in Dee Alexander out of Purcell Marian. Pair this with multiple visits from highly rated transfer players and I think this program should be headed back to the NCAA tournament pretty shortly.

I'd even be bold enough to say as of the date my posting this that Katrina Merriweather is out recruiting Wes Miller.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Another addition to this thread is that Bev Obringer was just announced as an inductee into the Ohio Basketball HOF. Bev was the center on the women's team under Laurie Pirtle when I was a student. She's also in the UC HOF. The team Bev was on made the NCAA tourney at least once if memory serves. More details below.

https://gobearcats.com/news/2024/4/1...l-of-fame.aspx
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Wasn't Cheryl Cook on that team as well?
      Celebrating Cheryl "Cookie Monster" Cook - University of Cincinnati Athletics (gobearcats.com)

Comment

Is NIL money part of this recent recruiting success? It's amazing how much Caitlin Clark has changed exposure to the sport.

Comment

I think part of the problem with the AAC is it was hard to get excited for wins or the too many losses to unknown competitors. With UC rising up to and above the higher bar set in the Big 12, let's hope the increased interest translates to more attendance
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

There is an article up on Cincinnati.com about top UC WBB players through the years
            https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...e/73358964007/

Also, per Wikipedia, UC has made the NCAA Tournament four times -- 1989, 1999, 2002 and 2003 -- with the lone win coming in a 6/11 OT win in 2002. The women have played in the WNIT in 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2012, 2019, and 2024. Michelle Clark-Heard's 2019-2020 squad was also 22-9 and in 2nd place in the AAC before the 2020 postseason was called off.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              Another addition to this thread is that Bev Obringer was just announced as an inductee into the Ohio Basketball HOF. Bev was the center on the women's team under Laurie Pirtle when I was a student. She's also in the UC HOF. The team Bev was on made the NCAA tourney at least once if memory serves. More details below.

https://gobearcats.com/news/2024/4/1...l-of-fame.aspx
              Wow Brent, you're a lot older than you look. According to the GoBearcats.com article she played in the 1800's "Obringer (1884-89) holds the program...."

Comment

Is it possible to add WBB as a forum topic on the forum page? We can see if that add helps drive traffic, at least here.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  The time has come to pay more attention here. Interst in the Women's program has been trending up for a while.

In the last two two recruiting cycles Katrina Merriweather and her staff have recruited a 2024 4 star scoring PG in Chloe Mann out of of Duncanville TX and a 2025 5 star guard in Dee Alexander out of Purcell Marian. Pair this with multiple visits from highly rated transfer players and I think this program should be headed back to the NCAA tournament pretty shortly.

I'd even be bold enough to say as of the date my posting this that Katrina Merriweather is out recruiting Wes Miller.

I guess you can never have too many good guards, but does Wes still have eligibility?

Thanks for opening this thread. It’s great to learn the Women’s program is on the up-tick

Comment

Originally posted by Barklee View Post

Wow Brent, you're a lot older than you look. According to the GoBearcats.com article she played in the 1800's "Obringer (1884-89) holds the program...."
                    It's been 84 years
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                      Is it possible to add WBB as a forum topic on the forum page? We can see if that add helps drive traffic, at least here.
                      It's been a while since we added another forum channel. I'm open to the idea of this and Baseball being separate channels if people want it. I'd contact the server admin before attempting this because...

My hesitation here is that I don't want want to blow up the whole site accidentally while adding features. This thing is kinda held together with duct tape and chicken wire and I don't own the place.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

^^^ I think many/most on here will root for any team that dons the C Paw. But few are consistently watching WBB and baseball/actually closely monitoring games. Until there is a consistent interest/demand to follow on a game-by-game basis, I think how things are structured now make the most sense.

Comment

I believe a separate thread for WBB and baseball are warranted. I would be in favor of it but as Lobot wrote, it's up to the owners of the site. Stay tuned, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                            ^^^ I think many/most on here will root for any team that dons the C Paw. But few are consistently watching WBB and baseball/actually closely monitoring games. Until there is a consistent interest/demand to follow on a game-by-game basis, I think how things are structured now make the most sense.
                            I think more people would follow women's bball and men's baseball if there were channels on this forum in order to do so. If expanding this site needs to come to a vote count me as a yea.

Comment

The hand signal is out.. Incoming commit
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X