Maryland and Rutgers to the Big10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antonio View Post
    Can UC even afford the Big East exit fee?
    If we stick around for 27 months it's only $10MM
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

If they're offered into the ACC or B12 they has to pay the fee -- the money made in media rights alone would cover any fee within the first year or two.

Hopefully UC is ready to make a pitch to the ACC, because this is probably the last chance they'll have to be relevant in football ever again.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        My confusion stems from the fact that within the last few years we needed public campaigns and coaches playing out hostage situations to raise this kind of money for facilities and assistant coach salaries. However it makes sense that this is revenue that would instantly appear with a leap to a different conference.
        U.C. Law '09

Comment

My confusion stems from the fact that within the last few years we needed public campaigns and coaches playing out hostage situations to raise this kind of money for facilities and assistant coach salaries. However it makes sense that this is revenue that would instantly appear with a leap to a different conference.
          I'm also weary of the hostage situations and threats.

To my horror, some here are discussing UC in the MAC.

To my further horror, I find myself nodding in agreement with them. There's no money for all this, especially here at UC. I'm conflicted, because I want the Cats to play at the highest level, but do not want to bankrupt the University and affect the experience of future students to do so.

The haves and have nots... We have been wedded to UL at the hip for nearly 60 years. The difference now is that they have a sugar daddy, Papa John, who can make it all happen for them, stem them over during the bad times until they can make money on their own. Plus, UL is the only game in town.

UC gets the leftovers in the corporate world, after the Reds, Bengals and even XU.

It's a whole new future out there, and it doesn't look good for UC. I tend to think of myself as a realist, but this sounds downright debbie downer. I wish i could feel better. Maybe Santa Ono has a wild card up his sleeve?

Comment

The difference is TV revenue alone would make up for the buy out. If not all one payment, at least you could budget for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              And who knows if the BE will survive this raid. The new teams may decide to stay put since C-USA would ascend to the top of the Fewer 5 if the BE ceases to exist. I would think that nullifies the buyout provision.

I could see UL, UConn, UC to the ACC and RU to B1G with USF possibly in play also depending on what happens with FSU and Miami amongst the others in the ACC. Temple will likely be the odd man out and go to C-USA.

Just my 2 pennies.
              RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
              CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

why do schools want out of the ACC so badly?

Is the money really that much better that it will offset the increased travel expenses for all sports?
                Alabama, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia Tech are the only schools with atleast 10 wins in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbearcat12 View Post
                  why do schools want out of the ACC so badly?

Is the money really that much better that it will offset the increased travel expenses for all sports?
                  TV $$$. I saw in an article last night that the conference distributed $288M to the schools last year. Most schools got $24.6M. I assume Nebraska got a little less since they are newcomers.

Sounds like FSU, GT, VT and NC are in play for them now. That bodes well for us. I like the fit in the ACC better than the B12.

Red Rocker
                  CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                    TV $$$. I saw in an article last night that the conference distributed $288M to the schools last year. Most schools got $24.6M. I assume Nebraska got a little less since they are newcomers.

Sounds like FSU, GT, VT and NC are in play for them now. That bodes well for us. I like the fit in the ACC better than the B12.
                    I love the fit! If we can get an invite I will be ecstatic! Just wish we were AAU already.

Can you imagine football trips though?! Way better than the Big 12. And we could actually compete for football conference titles.
                    Alabama, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia Tech are the only schools with atleast 10 wins in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Comment

I love the fit! If we can get an invite I will be ecstatic! Just wish we were AAU already.

Can you imagine football trips though?! Way better than the Big 12. And we could actually compete for football conference titles.
                      My thoughts exactly. I think the ACC is going to get raided. I could see the B1G and SEC going to 16 teams. Then the ACC would absorb most of the BE remainders.

Red Rocker
                      CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

who knows wtf is going to happen...i could list about 3-4 scenarios of what might happen but i feel like it's a waste of time...Somebody just tried to explain to me how temple would be more valuable to the acc than cincinnati would be. At this point nothing will suprise me...all i know is i don't know how the UC administration can allow all the progress that's been made in the last 5 years go to waste.

Comment

who knows wtf is going to happen...i could list about 3-4 scenarios of what might happen but i feel like it's a waste of time...Somebody just tried to explain to me how temple would be more valuable to the acc than cincinnati would be. At this point nothing will suprise me...all i know is i don't know how the UC administration can allow all the progress that's been made in the last 5 years go to waste.
                          I'd almost rather hit my head against a brick wall than go through all this crap again.

Red Rocker
                          CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                            I'd almost rather hit my head against a brick wall than go through all this crap again.
                            I second that notion...

Comment

A lot can happen and who knows where UC will end up BUT I hope that 1.) UC was one the the schools that contacted the ACC for admission and 2) the ACC will want to be the first Super Conference and try and poach the trio of UC, Louisville and UConn befor the the others .... For selfish reasons, How awesome would it be to be in the ACC? Travel, weather, basketball would be top conference in country, football would be at least a step up from what we have now after the defections, rivalries ,etc ...... The only thing that might put a wrench in our spokes , ND is in for all sports except football, so taking the trio might not happen because that puts bball at 17.

Comment

Originally posted by cspeed View Post
                                A lot can happen and who knows where UC will end up BUT I hope that 1.) UC was one the the schools that contacted the ACC for admission and 2) the ACC will want to be the first Super Conference and try and poach the trio of UC, Louisville and UConn befor the the others .... For selfish reasons, How awesome would it be to be in the ACC? Travel, weather, basketball would be top conference in country, football would be at least a step up from what we have now after the defections, rivalries ,etc ...... The only thing that might put a wrench in our spokes , ND is in for all sports except football, so taking the trio might not happen because that puts bball at 17.
                                As a resident of Charlotte, NC.........I WOULD LOVE IT!!!!!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X