UVA and GT headed to B1G?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bearcat Otto View Post
    Santa Ono...Please do not send us to the ACC.

We will be right back to the same situation that developed in the Big east. The big money schools will not want to share their bounty with teams from a league that they find lacking in many area, eith real or perceived.

Get us into a league that will be one of the last four, 16 teams conferences standing.
    The ACC is where we belong, awesome basketball and decent football. I don't want to go to the Big 12 and watch our football team struggle to get bowl eligible 7 out of 10 years. I want to continue to watch football play Lvl,Syracuse, Pitt and whatever is left in the ACC. I want to watch hoops play in the toughest conference ever thought of. Duke, NC, Syracuse, Pitt, LVL, UC, Wake Forest, NC ST., Uconn...........

Comment

Originally posted by Brian H. View Post
      The ACC is where we belong, awesome basketball and decent football. I don't want to go to the Big 12 and watch our football team struggle to get bowl eligible 7 out of 10 years. I want to continue to watch football play Lvl,Syracuse, Pitt and whatever is left in the ACC. I want to watch hoops play in the toughest conference ever thought of. Duke, NC, Syracuse, Pitt, LVL, UC, Wake Forest, NC ST., Uconn...........
      Couldn't disagree more. We would be competitive in the Big 12 in Football. We would beat KU, Baylor, Iowa State on a regular basis. We would be competitive against OSU, WVU and K-State as soon as Klein is gone (this year.). And once Snyder is gone probably will beat them on a regular basis. If you know their history he is the only coach who really is able to win there. Simply put players don't want to live on the middle of Kansas. Recent UC teams have played competitively against OU when they were good and would be competitive against this years Texas team though this is a down year for them.

We are a good regional rivalry for WVU with Louisville out if the way right now.
      And basketball is fantastic in the big 12. KU, WVU and Texas are all big time programs. Baylor has reached a very competitive state as has Iowa State with Hoiberg.

Plus big 12 will be stable now that they have all committed to one network for 10 years!
      Bleed red and black and everything else will take care of itself!

Comment

Santa Ono...Please do not send us to the ACC.

We will be right back to the same situation that developed in the Big east. The big money schools will not want to share their bounty with teams from a league that they find lacking in many area, eith real or perceived.

Get us into a league that will be one of the last four, 16 teams conferences standing.
        I think at this point we take what we can get and if that's an ACC invite then we accept it with a huge sigh of relief.

Comment

The Big East Ship Is Sinking Fast! The Acc Offers More Security And Quite Frankly Is Where We Belong.

Comment

Just curious.... What is the payout for ACC and big12? Are they close?

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcat95 View Post
              Couldn't disagree more. We would be competitive in the Big 12 in Football. We would beat KU, Baylor, Iowa State on a regular basis. We would be competitive against OSU, WVU and K-State as soon as Klein is gone (this year.).
              So we could beat 3 teams and stay in games with 3 teams, if they go to 16 that means 10 teams we can't compete with?

We are a good regional rivalry for WVU with Louisville out if the way right now.
              I would much rather play Louisville rather than WVU.

And basketball is fantastic in the big 12. KU, WVU and Texas are all big time programs.
              I would say KU is the only really good program. Texas under achieves every year with a bunch of good athletes and questionable coaching. WVU is solid. I wouldn't call 3 teams compared to what the ACC has to be a be impressive. You could argue the B1G and SEC have just as good hoops if not better.

Comment

The UVA AD vehemently denied the possiblity of switching conferences - albeit Saturday night.

Just wondering IF a move occurs...UNC and UVA have lacrosse teams - where would they play - I don't think the SEC has lacrosse.

I guess this is like Boston College in the ACC and their ice hockey team which plays in a different league.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
                  The UVA AD vehemently denied the possiblity of switching conferences - albeit Saturday night.

Just wondering IF a move occurs...UNC and UVA have lacrosse teams - where would they play - I don't think the SEC has lacrosse.

I guess this is like Boston College in the ACC and their ice hockey team which plays in a different league.
                  The Big Ten only needs 1 more lacrosse school to be eligible for a NCAA tournament automatic bid. Penn State, Ohio State, Rutgers, and Michigan have lacrosse.

Thus, a North Carolina or Virginia addresses that or simply have an existing school promote their club team.

And, they have 2 years to figure it out.
                  Last edited by bearcattom; 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

So we could beat 3 teams and stay in games with 3 teams, if they go to 16 that means 10 teams we can't compete with?

I would much rather play Louisville rather than WVU.

I would say KU is the only really good program. Texas under achieves every year with a bunch of good athletes and questionable coaching. WVU is solid. I wouldn't call 3 teams compared to what the ACC has to be a be impressive. You could argue the B1G and SEC have just as good hoops if not better.
                    Then recruit and get better!

Only here is where I hear that we should go where we can win at this level. If that is the case, let's join the MAC. Hopefully we can compete there.

How about this novel idea.... Get into a conference that provides us with an opportunity at the big prize and is locked into the big bowls.

Let's not think small.

Comment

Then recruit and get better!

Only here is where I hear that we should go where we can win at this level. If that is the case, let's join the MAC. Hopefully we can compete there.

How about this novel idea.... Get into a conference that provides us with an opportunity at the big prize and is locked into the big bowls.

Let's not think small.
                      Agreed! Lets aim for mediocrity because we have a good chance of winning!

My point was that we can compete in the big 12 and the additional money means better facilities which equals better recruiting and better teams. We would be middle of the pack at worst just starting. We would get better as we have done in the big east. Plus he is assuming that they would add 5 other teams that were better than us to get to 16. Unless he had an inside source telling him they are going to 16 and they are targeting teams better than us his logic is flawed.

Brian you obviously do not know much about the big 12. They are strong in football and basketball.

Further, those who are controlling the landscape if sports are already taking about the big 4 conferences of which the ACC is not one of them. I'd rather join a conference that is not already being raided like the one we are currently in.

And rather playing Louisville over WVU is a personal choice which makes no difference. In the end the big 12 is the safer, more valuable money wise and better long term answer for UC.
                      Last edited by CincyBearcat95; 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Agreed! Lets aim for mediocrity because we have a good chance of winning!

My point was that we can compete in the big 12 and the additional money means better facilities which equals better recruiting and better teams. We would be middle of the pack at worst just starting. We would get better as we have done in the big east. Plus he is assuming that they would add 5 other teams that were better than us to get to 16. Unless he had an inside source telling him they are going to 16 and they are targeting teams better than us his logic is flawed.

Brian you obviously do not know much about the big 12. They are strong in football and basketball.

Further, those who are controlling the landscape if sports are already taking about the big 4 conferences of which the ACC is not one of them. I'd rather join a conference that is not already being raided like the one we are currently in.

And rather playing Louisville over WVU is a personal choice which makes no difference. In the end the big 12 is the safer, more valuable money wise and better long term answer for UC.
                        You are contradicting yourself. At one point you say that I don't know anything since no one knows if the Big 12 is going to 16 teams, then you say that the ACC is dead already and there will only be 4 conferences which would mean they all went to 16.

As to you point on Basketball, Other than Kansas only 1 team in the Big 12 has a National Championship, OKSt. in the 1940's. The new ACC not counting UC has 17, Big 12 has 5. I want to compete in the best conference in the sport we are known for and excel at. If you ask the average person what UC is known for they would say basketball. Embrace it, that has worked out well for Duke, NC, and other schools, Every large school in the nation is trying to get into the top tier of football. We have a much better chance of packing a basketball arena with 15k than packing a rebuilt Nippert with 40k+.

Comment

You are contradicting yourself. At one point you say that I don't know anything since no one knows if the Big 12 is going to 16 teams, then you say that the ACC is dead already and there will only be 4 conferences which would mean they all went to 16.

As to you point on Basketball, Other than Kansas only 1 team in the Big 12 has a National Championship, OKSt. in the 1940's. The new ACC not counting UC has 17, Big 12 has 5. I want to compete in the best conference in the sport we are known for and excel at. If you ask the average person what UC is known for they would say basketball. Embrace it, that has worked out well for Duke, NC, and other schools, Every large school in the nation is trying to get into the top tier of football. We have a much better chance of packing a basketball arena with 15k than packing a rebuilt Nippert with 40k+.
                          Brian,

Please read what I actually wrote. I didn't say that you don't know anything. I said you do not know the big twelve because they are good at both football and basketball.

I did say that they are already talking about the big 4 conferences which does not include the ACC. I did not say 16 games, but merely refuted your assumption that the big twelve would add 5 more schools that were better at football than Cincy. I also never said the ACC was dead, only that it was already being raided for schools and that the big 12 is more stable. The big 4 conferences is actually in reference to the fact that the big 10 and PAC 12 have locked in a major bowl between only them and the SEC and Big12 have done the same. ACC has no major conference partner. This has lead to the speculation that they will be the next to drop.

Not sure national championships is a good stat for determining which conferences are best in basketball. How about RPI

2012 big 12 was third, ACC was 6
                          2011 big 12 was first, ACC was 2
                          2010 ACC was first, Big 12 was third.

I'm not saying big 12 is better, I'm saying they are good. Top 3 over the past 5 years.

Yes we have always been known as a basketball school but we have been known as a football and basketball school for the past 5 years. I'd like to see that continue. Additionally, we make a lot more money from football and that is absolutely needed for updated football and basketball stadiums!

Comment

Brian,

Please read what I actually wrote. I didn't say that you don't know anything. I said you do not know the big twelve because they are good at both football and basketball.

I did say that they are already talking about the big 4 conferences which does not include the ACC. I did not say 16 games, but merely refuted your assumption that the big twelve would add 5 more schools that were better at football than Cincy. I also never said the ACC was dead, only that it was already being raided for schools and that the big 12 is more stable. The big 4 conferences is actually in reference to the fact that the big 10 and PAC 12 have locked in a major bowl between only them and the SEC and Big12 have done the same. ACC has no major conference partner. This has lead to the speculation that they will be the next to drop.

Not sure national championships is a good stat for determining which conferences are best in basketball. How about RPI

2012 big 12 was third, ACC was 6
                            2011 big 12 was first, ACC was 2
                            2010 ACC was first, Big 12 was third.

I'm not saying big 12 is better, I'm saying they are good. Top 3 over the past 5 years.

Yes we have always been known as a basketball school but we have been known as a football and basketball school for the past 5 years. I'd like to see that continue. Additionally, we make a lot more money from football and that is absolutely needed for updated football and basketball stadiums!
                            I guess my thoughts are that the ACC is much or likely than the Big 12. There have been no rumors of Big 12 expansion other than talk of the top tier ACC football schools. We are not even close to the football level of Florida St and unless there is a Powerball winner donating to UC soon we can't get there financially without bankrupting everything else. If the ACC comes calling I am not turning that down for the off chance that I can get into the Big 12 in a few years.

Comment

Wherever we land, just get the heck out of the 'not so big', 'not so east' conference

Comment

It is Monday and no press conferences have been called.
                                I'm getting worried nothing will happen in time to keep Butch Jones around.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X