More Big Ten movement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cincycpaw View Post
    But again, it's not really about getting people that watch GTech to watch the Big Ten network. It's about getting into the houses and the people tuning in to watch Ohio State, Michigan, etc. Looking for the Big Ten alums that live in the area. Sure, you also get the Gtech fans and hope that grows, but it;s not the reason.
    Exactly. If you read the article I linked, one of the points Delaney made was about the huge number of B10 alums in sun belt states. The B10 wants to tap into that market and expand their revenue from the B10 Network.

I also recognize that the AAU may not be a requirement, but it gives the university presidents a cloak of plausibility. They're doing it for academics and not just for nasty old money.

Comment

I think the BIG takes Virginia and GT.

Then I think the SEC will ante up and take VT and one of (Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TX). I doubt if they will take FLST, Miami or Clemson since they already have teams in those states who may block them Also, I just don't know how desirable the NC schools are.

Then, it really starts getting interesting. Will the PAC raid the B12 again or go with teams like SDSU or Boise? Will the B12 try to bring in a team(s) from the ACC? If it comes down to a battle between the B12 and ACC for adding teams, UC's value goes way up.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatgary View Post

Then I think the SEC will ante up and take VT and one of (Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TX). I doubt if they will take FLST, Miami or Clemson since they already have teams in those states who may block them Also, I just don't know how desirable the NC schools are.

Then, it really starts getting interesting. Will the PAC raid the B12 again or go with teams like SDSU or Boise? Will the B12 try to bring in a team(s) from the ACC? If it comes down to a battle between the B12 and ACC for adding teams, UC's value goes way up.
        I think you're right. There's more to come and then it's game on.

The bigger question may be, does UC want to go to the ACC or the Big 12? I think UC may be in a strong position here once the next round starts (which I think it will soon).

Comment

Originally posted by cincycpaw View Post
          But again, it's not really about getting people that watch GTech to watch the Big Ten network. It's about getting into the houses and the people tuning in to watch Ohio State, Michigan, etc. Looking for the Big Ten alums that live in the area. Sure, you also get the Gtech fans and hope that grows, but it;s not the reason.
          The way I read it from an article on the matter is it's not even about getting people to watch Ohio State or Michigan, it's simply about getting added to the cable package. If you assume the Big Ten network adds a buck or two to your cable package, now multiply that by millions of households in a metropolitan area and pretty soon you're talking real money. It's not really about fans or patronage or Nielson ratings, it's about getting added to the cable offering plain and simple. The home team in the area (in this case Georgia Tech) would be the driver for adding the channel to the local lineup.
          "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post
            The way I read it from an article on the matter is it's not even about getting people to watch Ohio State or Michigan, it's simply about getting added to the cable package. If you assume the Big Ten network adds a buck or two to your cable package, now multiply that by millions of households in a metropolitan area and pretty soon you're talking real money. It's not really about fans or patronage or Nielson ratings, it's about getting added to the cable offering plain and simple. The home team in the area (in this case Georgia Tech) would be the driver for adding the channel to the local lineup.
            You are right, but it is the desire of alums to watch that get cable companies to add it to their packages and get subscribers to up to the next package that comes with the BIg 10 network.

Comment

Doubt anyone leaves the B12 anytime soon due to the GOR. No financial incentive for either side.

Comment

Bingo.....It aint' over 'till its over. And this isn't close to being. Tuberville didn't come here to end his coaching career in the Big Mess. I'm sure that he's very confident that we will land on our feet elsewhere...sooner, rather than later.

Comment

I think in the end the BEast gets rid of the catholic schools, and merges with C-USA.
                  Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
                    I think in the end the BEast gets rid of the catholic schools, and merges with C-USA.
                    Your signature is appropriate. Not to be.....but here I go!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
                      Let's just hope we're gone to the ACC or B12.
                      RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
                      CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

The last move was driven by the media markets of NYC and DC. If we use AAU and market size as the criteria, Virginia (DC) and GT (3rd largest football market) are obvious choices.
                        As a Northern VA/DC guy, I can tell you that Virginia Tech has far more alumni here, and they are more rabid than UVA's. UVA is the better academic institution, but VaTech pretty much staffs all of the IT infrastructure of DC.

Tech's athletics program surpassed UVA's some time ago, and they've been trying to get into the SEC for some time now. SEC has been resistant to that, but you'd better believe that they are actively trying to get to the B12/10 as well. They thought they were too good for the old ACC. I should mention they are also delusional.

I could see the ACC sinking in some scenarios, and for that reason I'd prefer the B12.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriusChristedes View Post
                          I should mention they are also delusional.

I could see the ACC sinking in some scenarios, and for that reason I'd prefer the B12.
                          First of all... hilarious about them being delusional. I was in D.C. for the Munchie "don't call it a comeback" miracle. Spoke at length with an intoxicated Hokie fan at half (They were up 1pt) who continued to run his mouth about how awful we were (mind you we had just blown out the same Pitt team they lost to). And yes I was sure to point that out. I quickly learned you can't rationalize with irrational people. It was fun though to walk that long walk back to the trains with thousands of Hokie fans who just had their victory joy stolen.

Secondly... I totally agree. Leaving the Big East for the ACC is like swimming from a sunken ship to one taking on water. I'm HOPING they focus attention on going all out to impress the Big 12 onlookers. Even if the Pac steals a couple away from the Big 12, it is a far more stable conference and will be one of the 4 "Mega" conferences when all the dust settles.... ACC will be dismembered in the same way the Big East has been. Just a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                            Let's just hope we're gone to the ACC or B12.
                            WIth youor hope we can only wish that the ACC is in it's present form...Not looking good for that though!

Comment

Originally posted by ucjay99 View Post
                              Secondly... I totally agree. Leaving the Big East for the ACC is like swimming from a sunken ship to one taking on water. I'm HOPING they focus attention on going all out to impress the Big 12 onlookers. Even if the Pac steals a couple away from the Big 12, it is a far more stable conference and will be one of the 4 "Mega" conferences when all the dust settles.... ACC will be dismembered in the same way the Big East has been. Just a matter of time.
                              I think it is safe to say that there are 3 leagues, for a variety of factors, that are "secure": B1G, PAC-whatever, and SEC.

I also think it is safe to say the BE is a sinking ship.

I also believe only one of these two survive long-term: BIG12 or ACC

I could make a good argument as to why either of those leagues will crumble or survive. If Texas loses interest and the PAC-whatever decides to expand again, I think the BIG12 is done. If the BIG12 gets aggressive, then I agree that the ACC is the likely target.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
                                I think it is safe to say that there are 3 leagues, for a variety of factors, that are "secure": B1G, PAC-whatever, and SEC.

I also think it is safe to say the BE is a sinking ship.

I also believe only one of these two survive long-term: BIG12 or ACC

I could make a good argument as to why either of those leagues will crumble or survive. If Texas loses interest and the PAC-whatever decides to expand again, I think the BIG12 is done. If the BIG12 gets aggressive, then I agree that the ACC is the likely target.
                                valid points.. I mostly agree. I am basing most of my own opinion on the rumors that 2 more ACC teams are on the verge of leaving the ACC along with the idea that there are still yet others FSU and Clemson who also are in the rumor mill of schools wanting out of the ACC. ACC just seems far more unstable than the Big 12... at the time being.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X