Is Reallignment On The Horizon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbernie41 View Post
    I don't know where exactly the source came from but I saw a rumor elsewhere of The B1G announcing it is inviting Virginia and Georgia Tech on Monday. Again, I have very very very little faith in this and give it about a 2% chance... but this is a rumor thread.
    Virginia and Georgia Tech are both solid academic institutions and located in geographic areas coveted by the Big Ten. So that would not surprise me at all. Then the ball would roll with UC and UConn to the ACC.

Comment

New Year's resolution.....get to the ACC. I am one that remembers that the speculators thought that the Big12 would fall and the Big East was fine. It just happened the other way around. Although there is big history in the Big12 and what they were, they are falling apart with their best teams (except TX) leaving. The ACC has never been a great football conference even after raiding all of the original and newest Big East teams, they can become one. They are a great basketball conference and with expansion and the falling of the Big12, they can become great in both. In my opinion, the SEC is the only football powerhouse conference and things turn on a dime. I want UC to have a chance.

Comment

How is the Big12 falling apart? They've got the best bball conference and a top 4 football conference.
        Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
          How is the Big12 falling apart? They've got the best bball conference and a top 4 football conference.
          The ACC and, arguably, the B1G are better basketball conferences than the Big12.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
            The ACC and, arguably, the B1G are better basketball conferences than the Big12.
            On paper- before this season- I would have agreed with you. But this season alone I would have to say right now the Big12 is as talented as any conference and deeper than both the B10 and ACC.

Now I realize that this is just one season, and in the long it looks like the ACC might be a more solid BBall conference. But if this season has taught us anything its that looks can be deceiving and putting a bunch of previously good teams in one conference does not necessarily make the best current or future conference.

Comment

So here is a question - money, rivalries, and geography aside: Which conference would you rather be affiliated with based on potential success? I would say UC football has a better chance at rising to the upper echelon of ACC football. However, UC basketball is likely to face similar ridiculously tough competition like they faced in the BEast if they move to the ACC. If UC joins the Big XII I feel relatively confident that UC basketball has a fighting chance of rising to the upper quartile. But when I look at Texas, Oklahoma, OSU and now even Baylor I question if the Bearcats can hang.

Just wondering if anyone has thought about which conference would be a better fit from a competition standpoint.
              "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post
                If UC joins the Big XII I feel relatively confident that UC basketball has a fighting chance of rising to the upper quartile. But when I look at Texas, Oklahoma, OSU and now even Baylor I question if the Bearcats can hang.

Just wondering if anyone has thought about which conference would be a better fit from a competition standpoint.
                Funny I was thinking about the plight that West Virginia is in. 6-12 in B12 BB last season, 2-2 so far this year, but looking equally stinky. Football, not much better with 2-7 this year, 4-5 last year. Not sure I would want to follow that. For me the ACC provides the best avenue for continued success and reasonable competition in both sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamacat View Post
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Binturong05
                  If UC joins the Big XII I feel relatively confident that UC basketball has a fighting chance of rising to the upper quartile. But when I look at Texas, Oklahoma, OSU and now even Baylor I question if the Bearcats can hang.

Funny I was thinking about the plight that West Virginia is in. 6-12 in B12 BB last season, 2-2 so far this year, but looking equally stinky. Football, not much better with 2-7 this year, 4-5 last year. Not sure I would want to follow that. For me the ACC provides the best avenue for continued success and reasonable competition in both sports.

I am curious if the Nip is holding us back from Big12. Oklahoma would not play us unless the game was at PBS. Even the last WV game was moved down there. I understand that we are improving the facilities, but the bottom line is we have an incredible homefield advantage when that stadium is rocking! It is not Seahawks loud, but is definitely a huge advantage. I recall going to Norman and being awed by the sheer number of people, but we were much farther away from the field than at Nippert.

I want out of AAC badly. My preference is Big 12 for the following reasons:

1. I'll take our chances against Texas, OU, OSU, Baylor, and the rest. It'd be fun!
                  2. Great traditional powers in Bball and Football! Home and home with Kansas, 'Nuff said! We wouldn't get that gaurantee in ACC, even with NC, Duke.
                  3. Geographically, it's about the same for travel. Flights would be required for most teams in both conferences.
                  4. BIG12 wants us more than ACC. a). WV wants someone close and b) those teams want a tie-in to this recruiting area (as does ACC), but c). Texas has a thing about trying to stick it to O$U

Both have pros and few if any cons vs AAC or even each other. I'd be ecstatic for either. I hope news comes sooner rather than later. When will it be decided if a conference needs a championship game to get into the 4 team playoff?
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                    I am curious if the Nip is holding us back from Big12. Oklahoma would not play us unless the game was at PBS. Even the last WV game was moved down there.
                    I have to believe that they could work something out with PBS for every-other year when Texas, OU or WVU comes to town. Nippert would be sufficient for the other schools...at least initially.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
                      I have to believe that they could work something out with PBS for every-other year when Texas, OU or WVU comes to town. Nippert would be sufficient for the other schools...at least initially.
                      I'm sure we probably could, but Nippert is our home. I don't think we want to go to PBS for a game or two a season. I know I don't want that. To be clear, my question should read: I'm curious if our insistence on playing all home games at nippert is a sticking point with Big 12? Not the sticking point, but one of them.

Comment

They are not going to move any games down to PBS after sinking $80M into Nippert.

Comment

If, by moving 1 game/year to PBS, they could receive ~$20M/annually (entry into a new conference) - they would be foolish not to consider it

Comment

That would never be a provision for entry into a conference. It might be an option, but never a requirement.

Comment

I think I would go with ACC no doubt. FSU, ND, Clemson, Louisville, Canes, Va Tech, Pitt, etc. I would be all about that. I think the ACC is better top to bottom than the B12. The basketball with the additions of Cuse and Pitt on top of their already solid league would be awesome. Take me to the ACC!

Comment

Originally posted by dbernie41 View Post
                                I think I would go with ACC no doubt. FSU, ND, Clemson, Louisville, Canes, Va Tech, Pitt, etc. I would be all about that. I think the ACC is better top to bottom than the B12. The basketball with the additions of Cuse and Pitt on top of their already solid league would be awesome. Take me to the ACC!
                                I thought about the quantity of ACC teams that are top notch and I see that as both a pro and a con.

It is a huge pro because any team that goes thru that brutal schedule (Fball or BBall) and remains unbeaten or 1 loss in FBall or just at the top in bball is deserving of Fball playoff spot or #1 NCAA seed.

The con is, even on our best years, there are so many great teams to go against game after game. Winning the Big 12 will get you to the same end point most years (need to be undefeated for play-off in fball) and should get #1 seed in Bball, but the path is easier with fewer truly great teams.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X