No announcement yet.

Is Reallignment On The Horizon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would vote for the ACC. I'm just a little uneasy about the BIG 12 even though there is a GOR in place. Expansion isn't over and the BIG 12 just has too few schools to overcome a mass exodus. I would guess a raid of the BIG 12 would leave WV, TCU, Iowa State, and Baylor behind. Also, the ACC has been more proactive in trying to keep it together. The Big 12 should have added Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF or UCF when they added WV instead of TCU.

Comment

Despite living in Texas, I think the ACC is a better fit for UC athletics and for the university as a whole. As far as Nippert, both the TCU and the new Baylor stadium seat 45k, so I don't believe Nippert will be an issue. It goes without saying, the Big 12 would be an obvious upgrade from our current situation as well.

Comment

ACC for me.
        Re-establishes rivalries w/ U of L and Pitt.
        Puts us into a conference with a better geographical fit. (I believe UWV is having problems recruiting given the geography of their conference).
        Look who is at the top of ACC BB this year - Cuse and Pitt
        In FB we will need to step up a level, but we know how to do that - moved from C-USA to BE successfully.
        Get into the ACC and we can be the second option in Ohio which will get us a lot of good players. Not sure that is the case if we get into the Big 12.
        I'd take a good fit and the opportunity to compete in a strong conference or a poor fit and an easier path.

Comment

It's really irrelevant at this point. What is relevant is to support the school and it's teams wherever they are at in order to make the program attractive to bigger conferences. If that attitude is not adopted by the fans and/or alumni it wont' happen. It's not a pull, it's a push.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
            It's really irrelevant at this point. What is relevant is to support the school and it's teams wherever they are at in order to make the program attractive to bigger conferences. If that attitude is not adopted by the fans and/or alumni it wont' happen. It's not a pull, it's a push.
            Best post in the whole thread.

Comment

Big 12 is going to have to make a move in order to stay in the national picture by adding a conference title game. They need to add teams. UC may not be one of those teams but their choices all belong to other conferences so they may poach which opens the door for UC. I prefer the ACC but at this point, beggars can not be choosy. Although, I believe that the Big 12 lives and dies with Texas and if they bolt, I do not want anything to do with them.

Comment

I would prefer anywhere that Notre Dame is not. Notre Dame will move into a bowl situation with any ties in league play. So lets say UC is in the ACC, UC football ties Notre Dame at 8-4 overall, Notre Dame would get the nod for the more lucrative bowl arrangement. Notre Dame gets all the benefits without actual conference commitments. For instance, Notre Dame gets to say they are an ACC team, but only has to play 5 ACC games. I do not want UC in any league with Notre Dame. Secondly, I think the ACC is better geographically. Third, I think the Big 12 is better for football and allows us into Texas and Oklahoma for recruiting. I think Big 12 basketball is rated #1 right now or has the highest RPI of any conference. UC may very well be one of those teams moving to the Big 12 if and when they decide to increase the teams. Since Whit has stated publically that when the Big 12 made it's decision to go with WVU, UC was right there in the decision. So I don't think that has changed. When the decision comes, it will be the Big 12.
                Last edited by vince8290; 01-20-2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I suppose there are several ways to interpret this

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-...,6627955.story

My interpreation: If Babcock is interviewing elsewhere, it's not a good sign that a change to UC's Conference affiliation is on the horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
                    I suppose there are several ways to interpret this

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-...,6627955.story

My interpreation: If Babcock is interviewing elsewhere, it's not a good sign that a change to UC's Conference affiliation is on the horizon.
                    Let's hope Whit stays around a little while longer...

Comment

I hopefully this is a rumor only and he is not interviewing. I guess we'll find out soon enough. Babcock leaving would definitely hurt and would be a bad sign. However, it wouldn't stop us from getting an offer when the moves start again and they will at some point.
                      Bleed red and black and everything else will take care of itself!

Comment

I didn't see a thing in that article that leads me to believe he's interviewing. He's on someone's short list. A move to UConn would be a lateral one IMO. Just don't see it happening.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

It would be a move to Virginia Tech, but I haven't heard any real rumblings about it. Just a single mention in a local paper.
                          In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                          Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Va Tech is a great school with more resources if you want to live in a rural setting. I would not fault him or anyone else for looking at opportunities to better than pay/position, etc.. it come with the territory. I, for one, do not believe there is anything on the conference front that he or anyone else around here knows. I think they are operating under making the current situation the best they can so as to further position the school if something breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcat95 View Post
                              I hopefully this is a rumor only and he is not interviewing. I guess we'll find out soon enough. Babcock leaving would definitely hurt and would be a bad sign. However, it wouldn't stop us from getting an offer when the moves start again and they will at some point.
                              Disappointing if true.

Hard to gain any traction and try to move forward when we keep having university presidents, AD's, and football coaches quit and have to hire new ones.

Comment

I've opened a a new thread in the general forum about Whit and VT. Some are saying he hasn't applied and some are saying he hasn't.

Here's a link to the new thread.

http://forums.bearcatnews.com/showth...331#post228331
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X