No announcement yet.

Uh-Oh, Could Big12 be expanding!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I recall. it was this time of year when we heard about Pitt. Then again about Rutgers and Maryland. I could be wrong though but I thought that the word came out in the first half of the season.

Comment

Well, more back-office rumors, I believe there are a couple outlets reporting Aresco has recently started trying to extend the contract ESPN and increase the payout, but here is a view as to why he has started doing that:

What this league has to worry about right now is ECU, UC, UCF and USF going to the Big 12 to help create an East Division and get a conference championship game. Details are still very sketchy, but it appears the doors have finally opened to the Big 12 finding regional teams for WVU to assist with travel and also establish a long sought after Florida footprint for the league. Multiple sources have suggested that Mike Aresco is already trying to renegotiate the American's current TV deal for the league in an effort to keep these teams in the conference with more money and a possible Grant of Rights. But Aresco's response is reportedly forcing the hand of the Big 12 even faster.

Comment

http://www.bcsnn.com/aac/777-memphis...alignment.html

Here's the link to the article. I'm going with old saying where there's smoke there's fire.

Comment

IMO no additional money, grant of rights or TV contract should keep us from leaving the American. Even if we're the doormat for a while.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I find it interesting to see that the AAC is trying to get more money out of ESPN which basically destroyed the Big East. If ESPN wants these teams to the Big 12, it will happen. If ESPN wants to sabotage UC's chances of going big, they will find a way.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
              I find it interesting to see that the AAC is trying to get more money out of ESPN which basically destroyed the Big East. If ESPN wants these teams to the Big 12, it will happen. If ESPN wants to sabotage UC's chances of going big, they will find a way.
              The Big XII contract is split between Fox and ESPN. Without the official breakdown in front of me I am willing to bet that Fox has more Big XII games than ESPN. With that said I wonder if ESPN is willing to lose those tv markets to a competitor or will up the AAC's payout and include them into a P6.

Comment

^My thought is that ESPN should look ahead and at the big picture prior to meddling in the creation and destruction of conferences and TV markets. I really hope that all of this (conference realignment for TV markets) bites ESPN in the behind. Sure, now that there has been a creation of the P5, I want UC to be part of it but I have to tell you, that I am going to hold my nose the whole way because of the stench.

Comment

^My thought is that ESPN should look ahead and at the big picture prior to meddling in the creation and destruction of conferences and TV markets. I really hope that all of this (conference realignment for TV markets) bites ESPN in the behind. Sure, now that there has been a creation of the P5, I want UC to be part of it but I have to tell you, that I am going to hold my nose the whole way because of the stench.
                  My feelings exactly.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 98bearcat View Post
                      Multiple sources have suggested that Mike Aresco is already trying to renegotiate the American's current TV deal for the league in an effort to keep these teams in the conference with more money and a possible Grant of Rights. But Aresco's response is reportedly forcing the hand of the Big 12 even faster.
                      I think it's funny that the commissioner is trying to get a GOR in place for the AAC... if UC signs on to anything like that, that would be stupid. It's one thing to have a GOR when there's big money involved (like the P5 conferences are making), but when we're getting a small percentage of the schools in those P5 conferences, it's ridiculous to try to get a school to sign on for such a relatively small money conference. It's like the AAC commish sees what the P5 conferences are doing and just keeps mimicking them, not understanding why they are doing what they are doing. The AAC is NOT a P5 conference, as much as he tries to make it seem like it

Comment

No news, just commentary on the rumor:
                        Breaking The Silence On Realignment? - jorgeensen
                        http://cincyontheprowl.com/2014/10/0...e-realignment/

Comment

Whatever the Univ of Texas wants to happen is what's going to happen. They control what happens going forward in the Big 12.

Comment

Here's a guy that says this terrible season is getting us out of the Big 12 conversation. I'm not sure how much one bad season can hurt, but we really need to straighten this out and get to a bowl game.

http://www.bcsnn.com/aac/777-cincinn...cu-s-rise.html

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                              Here's a guy that says this terrible season is getting us out of the Big 12 conversation. I'm not sure how much one bad season can hurt, but we really need to straighten this out and get to a bowl game.

http://www.bcsnn.com/aac/777-cincinn...cu-s-rise.html
                              The guy is a moron and has no clue about what he is writing about. He must think Rutgers great football tradition got them into the B1G. Conference realignment is not fickle enough to be based on the results of an isolated football campaign. To even infer so shows a complete lack of understanding of the process.

Comment

Originally posted by anbuc88 View Post
                                The guy is a moron and has no clue about what he is writing about. He must think Rutgers great football tradition got them into the B1G. Conference realignment is not fickle enough to be based on the results of an isolated football campaign. To even infer so shows a complete lack of understanding of the process.
                                Agree, one season will not hurt. BTW, I'm sick of the 5/3 Arena put downs, there are a lot of P5 programs that play in much worse.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X