Uh-Oh, Could Big12 be expanding!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

The Big 12 had conducted a study last off season in regards to expansion and revenue. UC was the only school at that time that would not decrease revenue per team if added.
      In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
      Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Banter View Post
        I won't believe any expansion rumors till something happens. This is all just a ton of smoke.
        Finally, a man speaking common sense.
        Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Banter View Post
          I won't believe any expansion rumors till something happens. This is all just a ton of smoke.
          At that point , it wouldn't be a rumor then....

Comment

Plenty of stories out there now....

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...160133203.html

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
              Plenty of stories out there now....

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...160133203.html
              You know from a population standpoint, if you swap W. Va. for Nebraska and say TCU offsets Texas A&M (though I bet they don't have as many followers) that leaves you short Mizzou, #18 with a population of 6+ million, and Colorado, #22, with 5+ mil. Hard to believe the networks will really be excited about a conference that offers little interest to almost anyone outside of Texas and Oklahoma.

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post
                You know from a population standpoint, if you swap W. Va. for Nebraska and say TCU offsets Texas A&M (though I bet they don't have as many followers) that leaves you short Mizzou, #18 with a population of 6+ million, and Colorado, #22, with 5+ mil. Hard to believe the networks will really be excited about a conference that offers little interest to almost anyone outside of Texas and Oklahoma.
                Yeah, that's true. SEC teams recruit Memphis area heavily, and Big 10, ACC strike into Cincy metro/N Ky, so why should the Big 12 not make inroads into these regions by adding UC and Memphis. Fuentes has Memphis on the rise, but another good year there and he may be gone to bigger and better places.

Comment

Hi I'm back from Twitter and it was exhausting, and ongoing.
                  Some stuff:

Bohn is in NYC. Theoretically he's there because the Big12 Ads and commish are holding meetings. I now have people telling me the two parties might be coincidental so who knows.

We have had meetings with the Big 12 before the 1st Town Hall meeting.

The SMU board of regents was told during a meeting yesterday that UC and Memphis are the teams being considered and yes Fedex has a lot to do with it being Memphis and not UCF.

OU's Pres. Boren has held the stance that a "land bridge" needs to be formed between WVU and the rest of the league for some time now and that hasn't changed. TY to @landthieves for that bit.

That stuff is fact. The following is opinion

The Big12 is not likely to form an official opinion soon. I would even say that we may not hear anything for some time and we might not be joining until 2018 when the current TV deal expires. I could also be totally wrong on the last part but in general commitees don't move unless there's a consensus and there isn't one right now. Iowa St's AD in particular is being a lazy jerk and wants to let the rest of the conference to continue to fund his crappy football program that he's deathly afraid will be even crappier if expansion happens.

I'll post more if I can remember it. Brain's fried from yesterday.
                  Last edited by Lobot; 12-09-2014, 06:45 PM. Reason: Tuberville not in NYC. Bohn meeting with ?
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-cfp-exclusion

Bowlsby said no decision was made about if the conference would have a 13th game in the future if permitted by the NCAA. He added that the conference would not expand by two programs just to have 12 teams, as that would be a "poor reason."
                    Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

If the Cincinnati rag gets involved, does it mean that it will happen?
                      http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...them/20101569/

Comment

Likeliest scenario is that the B1G savages the ACC, the remnants scatter to the SEC and BIG 12, and UC links up with some old big east buddies like Pitt, Louisville and Syracuse as well as Wake and maybe even Duke.

I think the big 12 is waiting on the next move from the B1G.

Endgame: a conference not that different from the big east.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                          If the Cincinnati rag gets involved, does it mean that it will happen?
                          http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...them/20101569/
                          A nice article by PD. He must be sick

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
                            Likeliest scenario is that the B1G savages the ACC, the remnants scatter to the SEC and BIG 12, and UC links up with some old big east buddies like Pitt, Louisville and Syracuse as well as Wake and maybe even Duke.
                            I think the big 12 is waiting on the next move from the B1G.
                            Endgame: a conference not that different from the big east.
                            I'm sure you know this, but it bears repeating here. All ACC member schools signed the Guarantee of Media Rights (in April 2013). That GOR is in effect until 2026. Essentially, in addition to coughing up $52 Million in exit fees, if an ACC school leaves before 2026, they forfeit ALL media revenue for their home games.
                            Not saying it can't happen cause crazier things have happened, but if the B1G wants to grab another ACC school before 2026, it's going to cost them hundreds of millions to do it........and I bet some of their member institutions won't go along with it (I'm thinking the ones in Ann Arbor and Columbus).
                            Maryland applied to leave the ACC in December 2012, so they managed to avoid the impact of the GOR, but they still coughed up $32 Million in exit fees.

Comment

If enough schools vote to disband, there is no conference to guarantee media rights to.

Originally posted by blackattack View Post
                              I'm sure you know this, but it bears repeating here. All ACC member schools signed the Guarantee of Media Rights (in April 2013). That GOR is in effect until 2026. Essentially, in addition to coughing up $52 Million in exit fees, if an ACC school leaves before 2026, they forfeit ALL media revenue for their home games.
                              Not saying it can't happen cause crazier things have happened, but if the B1G wants to grab another ACC school before 2026, it's going to cost them hundreds of millions to do it........and I bet some of their member institutions won't go along with it (I'm thinking the ones in Ann Arbor and Columbus).
                              Maryland applied to leave the ACC in December 2012, so they managed to avoid the impact of the GOR, but they still coughed up $32 Million in exit fees.

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
                                If enough schools vote to disband, there is no conference to guarantee media rights to.
                                Good point. Like I said, I guess anything could happen. With the ACC in football, you have Florida State, Clemson, Miami, and maybe VaTech that would be attractive in football to another conference. Everyone else in the ACC is basically a mid major in football with no tradition to speak of......and they would be nuts to vote for disbanding. But....you're right......logic isn't in play here.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X