Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bobestes View Post
    There is a tiny chance that the same thing that happened to Louisville happens to UC; miss out on big 12 only to get an invite to the ACC when they go to 16. Maybe.
    Our only shot is that the Big 12 decides expansion is good for the Big 12 and we get an invite. If that doesn't happen, there will be an arms race along with the move to four Super Conferences resulting in the destruction of either the ACC or the Big 12 - I predict the Big 12 is the loser if they don't expand now. If the Big 12 expands now and the ACC loses, but we are not ones chosen for the Big 12, then we won't be added by ANY of the Super Four.

The SEC, B!G, and PAC are waiting to see who they get to pick off from amongst the losing P-5 conference. They are not going to boot out any of their own, no matter how much bottom dwellers are seen as dead weight. Texas is the only school willing to boot the dead weight out of all of the P-5 teams, at least the other schools are more like OU in putting effort to keep traditional affiliations together unless forced to forgo.

NET - Our only chance at reaching a Super Four is an invite from the Big 12 and the Big 12 surviving contraction from P-5 to Super Four. Boy the worst part of this is the Raycom deal falling through in the early nineties (91 or 92) that would've created a sixteen team Super Conference including UC (and many of the old Metro teams along with Fla State, Lousiville, South Carolina, Va Tech...being first to the trough would've set us up for long term success. Being last may mean there is no room at the trough.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• I have long advocated the ACC as our best option. Just fits us better in sooo many ways. Unfortunately we are not even on their radar and its just not gonna happen, which leaves us with prostituting ourselves to the dysfunctional Big 12. Quite a dilemma with very few good options. I drool over the ACC possibilities and rivalries though. Doesn't hurt to dream.

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...s-could-narrow

I have always said that I think we are screwed and that eventually the focus will turn to a basketball focus. The above link isn't good for us either even though it is just someone's opinion. If Houston did leave at least it wouldn't hurt us in basketball.

Comment

• Another damper on the Big 12 opportunity, but again, just an opinion. I can't see Texas doing that but if they don't get back to elite status who knows.

"The SEC should just dispense with the formalities, move forward with its master plan of world domination and go ahead and bankrupt the Big 12 and ACC by buying FSU, Clemson, Texas and Oklahoma."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...05-column.html
          Last edited by Lobot; 06-06-2016, 06:26 PM. Reason: link fixed.

Comment

• http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...12-last-month/

If we are stuck long term in the AAC then I wouldn't mind seeing these 2 teams leave. It wouldn't hurt basketball. I still think we need to explore Power 5 dreams but we also need to think of a world where we are in the have-nots in football but can still be a have in basketball like Xavier (yuck, I can't believe I am naming them as something to strive for)

Comment

• http://www.frogsowar.com/2016/6/6/11...and-cincinnati

For the optimists!!

Comment

• I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Big 12 adds Houston because of pressure from Texas. It sounds counter intuitive when you first look at it, but remember that adding Houston would actually help UT consolidate more power in the league since the Texas schools can vote as a block and control future league policy changes. I think powerful UT billionaire alum Red McCombs is on record favoring adding Houston. These UT people are all the same....it's about power and control for them.
                If the Big 12 ever folds, whichever league UT lands in will forever regret inviting them.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I'm still befuddled by what Houston adds to the conference except to give UT more power in any future decisions. The more I read about the Big 12 the less of an appetite I have for association with them, though I understand we have to take any power 5 offer. Other than Oklahoma (and W. Va from a geographic standpoint) who cares? Is anyone really excited about going to a UC/Iowa St. game? If we never played TCU, Baylor, or Texas Tech again, would anyone really care? There are real reasons Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, and TA&M left, and I think Kansas would leave in a heartbeat if they had a soft landing place.Beggars can't be choosers but boy - is this group dysfunctional!

Comment

• Originally posted by richard k. View Post

I'm still befuddled by what Houston adds to the conference except to give UT more power in any future decisions. The more I read about the Big 12 the less of an appetite I have for association with them, though I understand we have to take any power 5 offer. Other than Oklahoma (and W. Va from a geographic standpoint) who cares? Is anyone really excited about going to a UC/Iowa St. game? If we never played TCU, Baylor, or Texas Tech again, would anyone really care? There are real reasons Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, and TA&M left, and I think Kansas would leave in a heartbeat if they had a soft landing place.Beggars can't be choosers but boy - is this group dysfunctional!

This is spot on ^^^^^^. My sentiments exactly. If UT had it their way the "Big 12" would consist of them and 9 other smaller schools from the state of Texas......and I'm not joking. As I've said before the Big 12 really isn't a true "league" or "conference" .......because that would imply cooperation and unity towards a common purpose......it's really more like a loose collection of schools that exist for the privilege of playing UT and promoting UT's interests.

Comment

• I think the consensus is that a tv contract for the b12 is highly unlikely anytime soon. Thus, this is a short term solution to basically running out the conference at 12 and unless some big tv deal changes you will likely see the big guys like ou and texas out of there once the gor is over. The rest will then likely hookup with others, like the aac or mw, etc.

Comment

• http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...ssue-expansion
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• http://www.landgrantholyland.com/201...l-espn-tnt-nbc

Could the ballsy Big 12 expand just to take money off the table from other conferences, specifically the B!G? Anything is possible in this crazy world!

Comment

• This article from Tulsa seems to rule out Tulsa as an expansion candidate, and recognizes the Big 12 expansion is not an urgent issue, but takes a reasonable look at the top candidates. It's nothing we didn't already know, but nice to see expansion chatter continue and the Bearcats favorably described by an impartial source...

http://tulsabeacon.com/tv-proximity-...pansion-plans/

Adding Cincinnati would be a boost for West Virginia in terms of geography. Cincinnati is in a Top-40 TV market and recently renovated its stadium. Cincinnati has been to two BCS bowl recently and several big companies support the school.

Cincinnati can’t compete with Ohio State in football and is very close to Kentucky, a basketball powerhouse.

Comment

• According to this article, there is a good financial incentive to expand and offer the new schools a pro-rated smaller piece of the pie. The AAC teams get around $2 million in tv rights. That leads me to ask, what amount of money is BYU and Boise getting today? I believe BYU is getting a lot more with their own network and may not be willing to take a "smaller share"? I can't imagine Boise makes much more than the AAC conference, if not it's very close. Just curious if any of you guys/gals have any opinions or insight

http://footballscoop.com/news/big-12...-not-done-yet/

the topic of the Big 12 expanding back to its eponymous number still percolates under the surface...
                              While the ending of any TV network dreams removes any immediate need to expand, the Big 12 also has no reason not to expand, assuming the right subject present themselves. The league’s contracts with ESPN and Fox are structured in a way that would allow the conference to expand while keeping the “original” 10 teams’ payouts the same — without needing to consult the networks ahead of time. The Big 12’s existing members are due $23 million a year and rising through the middle of the next decade, whereas each American Athletic Conference team received $2 million for the same product. Dangling, say, $10 million in front of the schools holding the winning ticket would represent an extreme discount on the Big 12’s end and a massive windfall for teams leaving the American.

Comment

• Greg Fluguar is discontinuing expansion talk on his account and sticking to Minn. Sports. Apparently he's being threatened by "The Dude" Unfortunate development.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X