X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dgill2424 View Post
    My apologies if this has been posted or violates protocol

http://www.espn.com/college-football...spn-poll-shows
    not too terribly surprising from a coach's perspective. i'd imagine they don't want to travel to Cincy, Conn., Fla, when they can stay 'closer.' thankfully the coaches don't vote...and neither do their ADs

Comment

• Originally posted by nolte50uc View Post

not too terribly surprising from a coach's perspective. i'd imagine they don't want to travel to Cincy, Conn., Fla, when they can stay 'closer.' thankfully the coaches don't vote...and neither do their ADs
      Fear the Nip!! We Rock home-field advantage!!
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...-big-12-again/
        Maybe this is just a ploy for the big boys of the Big 12 to be plucked up by the BIG and SEC. It kind of makes sense with Texas and OK. It would leave the bottom 6 teams scrambling and it would come back to 4 16-team mega conferences.

Comment

• I have said that all along and think that's the probable scenario. We need to step back and be more objective. IF we get in the Big 12, it will be a short term boost and the blue bloods will realign with other blue bloods and not with us. 4 mega conferences will still leave us on the outside looking in, only then we will be stuck with significantly more travel and expense, especially for the non revenue sports. If we have to prostitute ourselves to even get in, we may not see the planned revenue ramp up because that's predicated on membership parameters that will no longer exist. We have dilusions of joining a Big 12 that is dysfunctional and on the brink of extinction at least from the historical perspective. I still favor coaches more proactive suggestion that we be leaders in forming some association of the quality left overs that markets our level of football packaged with high level basketball. This way we can have some input into our own destiny rather than chasing a "club" that doesn't want us and if we got invited would only be because we were a last resort which would benefit them more than us.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
            I have said that all along and think that's the probable scenario. We need to step back and be more objective. IF we get in the Big 12, it will be a short term boost and the blue bloods will realign with other blue bloods and not with us. 4 mega conferences will still leave us on the outside looking in, only then we will be stuck with significantly more travel and expense, especially for the non revenue sports. If we have to prostitute ourselves to even get in, we may not see the planned revenue ramp up because that's predicated on membership parameters that will no longer exist. We have dilusions of joining a Big 12 that is dysfunctional and on the brink of extinction at least from the historical perspective. I still favor coaches more proactive suggestion that we be leaders in forming some association of the quality left overs that markets our level of football packaged with high level basketball. This way we can have some input into our own destiny rather than chasing a "club" that doesn't want us and if we got invited would only be because we were a last resort which would benefit them more than us.
            The Big 12 is viable until 2024/25. If we get into the Big 12 we will make more money during that time to have made the move worthwhile and then some. Until the reality is four Super Conferences, we must strive to move up in current reality of P-5. Football is the revenue driver and most popular sport (I really, really love college B-ball, but also love college F-ball and realize more people attend/watch football than basketball, except in March). I agree the future is four 16 team conferences, with their own football playoff and basketball Tourney, primarily because the super four can get all of the basketball tv money and cut out the NCAA middleman.

Regarding travel, with SMU, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, UConn, S. Fla, UCF, Temple, and Navy the travel won't be much different or more expensive in the Big 12 so any additional revenue will cover existing Athletic Department costs/outages.

Regarding comments about SEC and B!G poaching the Big 12, it's not going to happen. No one will cave to Texas like the group that is already there. A move to any of the other conferences would be a loss of money for Texas. OU is a different beast. I don't think they go anywhere because they feel like they owe it to the teams they recruited to form the Big 12 from the Big 8. Loyalty and honesty are truly the qualities in Norman. If OU and Texas stay, the conference will survive even if others defect. The extension of ACC GOR thru mid '30s means they cannot be poached. The PAC-12 isn't being poached. The move to four 16 team conferences makes sense, but I don't see egos letting go of traditional connections if the money isn't there to make it worthwhile - I don't see four Super Conferences happening any time in the next 25 years.

NET: Grab that golden ring before someone else does.

Comment

• Originally posted by cinmike View Post
              No inside info, but I want to make a prediction. Big 12 adds BYU and Boise for football only, and Cincinnati and Memphis for all sports.

I guess I don't see what either BYU or Boise State bring to the table. Neither one (Utah, Idaho) provides a lucrative TV market. Neither one enhances the recruiting area for BIG 12 teams. The article posted by dgil2424 indicates BIG 12 coaches prefer Houston and BYU, but the coaches won't make the decision. It's the Presidents and A.D.'s.

Ohio, Florida and dare'st I say it Connecticut open up much larger TV markets and recruiting areas. But then, like the coaches, it's not my decision eithyer.

Comment

• http://gridironnow.com/big-12-expans...e-realignment/
                The power 5 will remain and the gap widens between them and the group of 5.

Comment

• Red and Black, I agree with what you say and I hope you are right that the poaching of the Big 12 bluebloods will not occur. IF that is in fact the scenario, it definitely is in our best interest. If it doesn't work out that way, hopefully it will for long enough that we reap some financial rewards. My concern is where are we after they leave, but your point is well taken that it could take a while for that to happen or maybe it never will, so why not grab what we can.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                    http://gridironnow.com/big-12-expans...e-realignment/
                    The power 5 will remain and the gap widens between them and the group of 5.

I agree completely with the post. I don't believe there will be a power 4 with 16 teams each but I do believe the power 5 will break away from the NCAA at some point. UC definitely needs to be in the P5 before this happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                      Red and Black, I agree with what you say and I hope you are right that the poaching of the Big 12 bluebloods will not occur. IF that is in fact the scenario, it definitely is in our best interest. If it doesn't work out that way, hopefully it will for long enough that we reap some financial rewards. My concern is where are we after they leave, but your point is well taken that it could take a while for that to happen or maybe it never will, so why not grab what we can.
                      Maybe, just maybe those concerns could be addressed by extending the Big 12 GOR at least to match or go beyond the ACC timeline. The bottom line is that the fight for the fourth super conference is between the ACC and Big 12 - and neither will be poached while the GOR is in effect. The smart moves for the Big 12 are this:

1. Extend GOR beyond that of ACC.
                      2. Expand by four to get as much money from Fox and ESPN as is contractually obligated.
                      3. Sign contract to add FSU or Miami or Clemson beginning in 2036 and be the first to 16.

Or

1. Extend GOR beyond that of ACC.
                      2. Expand by two to get as much money from Fox and ESPN in the next contract by saving them money now.
                      3. Sign contract to add FSU and Miami and Loserville and Clemson or Pitt beginning in 2036 and be the first to 16.

Yes - I think long term in a devious fashion In a fight for survival, be defensive and offensive at the same time. Fight, kick, scratch, claw and survive.

Comment

• UC considered a favorite http://www.espn.com/college-football...ms-join-big-12

Comment

• Copy paste from my reply to a post on Bearcattalk.com: Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS
                          Greg Abbott ‏@GregAbbott_TX · 43m43 minutes ago
                          Big 12 expansion is a non-starter unless it includes University of Houston. @UHouston

Governor of Texas. Don't underestimate politics. UC isn't a sure thing.
                          Duck Duck Duck!!! Expletives avoided by replacing the letter F with the letter D. No vowels, consonants, or exclamation marks were harmed during the writing of this message; however, I may need a few new keys on my keyboard.

Comment

• If i was in charge of the b12, and my understanding of the tv contract is close to correct, i would go to 14 and add cincy, uconn, houston and one of the florida teams or byu. This would help balance the east/west or north/south divisions, and definitely be a hedge to keep the conference together if at the end of the gor's some schools bolt. Byu is a good fball program, but definitely an outlier in terms of culture etc. Given the dysfunction in this conference already(see texas), i would not bring that dimension into it.

Comment

• That only means Texas and Tech will vote for Houston if they even do that at all. Takes 8 to get in. None of the other schools want another Texas school.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                                Copy paste from my reply to a post on Bearcattalk.com: Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS http://bearcatnews.com/showthread.php?p=143246#post143246"][/URL]
                                Greg Abbott ‏@GregAbbott_TX · 43m43 minutes ago
                                Big 12 expansion is a non-starter unless it includes University of Houston. @UHouston

Governor of Texas. Don't underestimate politics. UC isn't a sure thing.
                                Well well it sure didn't take long for politics (and I presume a lot of dirty money) to taint the Big 12 expansion process. Let's see......what were those criteria again that the boys in Austin were going to use to evaluate potential expansion candidates???
                                I'll bet anyone on this board a steak dinner that Houston is a lock for #11 and that Memphis with their FedEx millions is #12. If this turns into a high stakes bidding war we'll be left out again.
                                Btw......the GOVERNOR of Texas gets involved in this and you can bet that Governors and high ranking officials from the states of other schools are also involved.
                                QUESTION: does anyone on here believe for a minute that our governor or state senators would pick up the phone to lobby for us?? The answer is not only "no" but HE11 NO.
                                Last edited by blackattack; 07-21-2016, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X