No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This could not have happened at a worse time. As it now stands, the Big 12 is supposed to meet later in the summer (not definite) to make a decision on expansion. It is obvious that any search committee appointed in the coming weeks will not have time to make a recommendation before the Big 12 decides. My hope is that Dr. Davenport is as committed to the athletic program as Dr. Ono, and that he takes the time and makes a real effort to bring her up to speed on the issues and introduce her to as many of his Big 12 contacts as he can. I think she needs to make it clear that she is as committed as Dr. Ono, and if she can get us into the Big 12 that makes her a candidate for the job on a permanent basis. As I recall, I think she holds the same position as Dr. Ono before he was elevated to the top job. So right now our future in the Big 12 is in the hands of Dr. Davenport with whatever help Dr. Ono can provide before he leaves next month.

Comment

• "Professionally, Dr. Ono was a major supporter of athletics," Cronin said. "He valued athletics' contribution to the university, and his passion for UC was a great asset for all of us. That said, I have great confidence in our Board of Trustees, and we can all be certain that we will find another great leader for our university."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...o-go/85834152/

Comment

• I think it probably matters more what the BOT thought about Ono's position on and promotion of athletics. The full court press was put on and at this point we're just waiting for the Big 12 to make a decision. I'm not sure Losing Ono at this point in the game will matter a ton. Timing could be better for sure but I think the work was put in by everyone involved. It's all up to the Big 12 now. Hope for inertia.

Also, keep in mind the Big 12 lost two presidents in the last month so it's not like they're doing much better.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Dr. Ono will no doubt be hard to replace. But I doubt that him leaving has any lasting effect on our chances of getting into the Big 12. It sounds like Dr. Ono did everything humanly possible to position us for a P5 invite, but if the boys in Austin don't want it to happen then the Big 12 won't be an option.

Comment

• Jason Williams at the Enquirer wrote a pair of articles. The first one is about what Ono's leaving for UBC means to the Big 12.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...opes/85840108/

The second one is the Enquirer complaining about the BoT convening an emergency meeting on Ono and violating open records laws. This is basically them complaining that they missed an important breaking story due to the speed at which this took place. It's worth reading just to laugh at them a bit.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...yone/85847718/
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I'm hoping maybe the Gawker hires that hack at the enquirer, Bahita or whatever his name is. They love to take all the shots they can at UC. It's high time someone told them who is the biggest employer in the city. They should probably worry a little more about their own business model and perception, and a little less about worrying about a day's notice on a guy taking another job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                I think it probably matters more what the BOT thought about Ono's position on and promotion of athletics. The full court press was put on and at this point we're just waiting for the Big 12 to make a decision. I'm not sure Losing Ono at this point in the game will matter a ton. Timing could be better for sure but I think the work was put in by everyone involved. It's all up to the Big 12 now. Hope for inertia.

Also, keep in mind the Big 12 lost two presidents in the last month so it's not like they're doing much better.
                I hope you're right, though can't help but feel that longevity is important. Boren has been OU president nearly since the inception of the Big 12. I get that we are a steppingstone university for coaches and faculty/admin leadership. Being in the Big 12, the SEC or the B!G wouldn't change that because we are not a Blueblood, and very few P-5 schools are Blueblood destination schools. If someone gets good at Vandy, they go to Penn State. IT simply happens. The poaching of coaches happens to so-called bottom dwellers in P-5 and this also applies to academia. If the Harvard Law School came knocking, a UC law professor would jump. I commend Santa Ono for all that he has done at UC and wish him well in this and all future endeavors.

Next president in...it is you and I the fans/alums that are the bedrock of making UC great.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Jason Williams at the Enquirer wrote a pair of articles. The first one is about what Ono's leaving for UBC means to the Big 12.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...opes/85840108/

The second one is the Enquirer complaining about the BoT convening an emergency meeting on Ono and violating open records laws. This is basically them complaining that they missed an important breaking story due to the speed at which this took place. It's worth reading just to laugh at them a bit.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...yone/85847718/
                  They're just mad that a sports blog scooped them. They didn't bother to make or develop the relationships where they just might have been in the know. This is pure karma. Bad mouth and ignore, then act surprised you're left out. Bwahahahaha!
                  The Red & Black shall triumph as they are struggling down the field. Oh fight for Cincinnati: McMicken's foes shall yield.

Comment

• Boren is saying expansion will not be solved this summer. Nothing to see here. Go about your business. These are not the droids you're looking for.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Boren is saying expansion will not be solved this summer. Nothing to see here. Go about your business. These are not the droids you're looking for.
                      "Welp, I'm moving to Vancouver"

Comment

• Originally posted by bobestes View Post

"Welp, I'm moving to Vancouver"

LOL. Watching the Big 12 "leadership" in action is like watching paint dry.

Comment

• Interesting thing going on today. Big 12 asked Baylor for all documents pertaining to sexual assault. They may be looking to sanction or remove Baylor from the conference a la the Big East and Temple. It would be a little weird if UC got into the conference via the back door but I'd still take it.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I couldn't see the B12 giving BU the boot, despite the nature of the offenses. Doing so so would involve the loss of tens of millions of dollars by BU, who most assuredly would tie the conference up in litigation. No one wants that.

I heard David Uebben today commenting on having read the B12 by-laws & there's not much leverage, unless they want to face off in court for a protracted fight. He believes they would avoid that, probably opting for some sorts of athletics performance penalties.

Comment

• You could guess either the Big 12 or the NCAA pulls a Baylor 2.0 and whacks their non conference schedule like they did the basketball program after Dave Bliss. Baylor takes a huge financial hit by having to buy out their non con games and still gets to play a Big 12 schedule which saves the new divisions and the round robin.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• When do we open up a new thread titled "Big 12 in 2018"? I'm about as optimistic about UC getting into the Big 12 as anyone can get, but I don't see an invite this year....I'd take it no matter how it was offered, expand by two (or four), Baylor out, Texas to the PAC, OU to the SEC, etc...
                                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X