• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma has accepted their invite.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• NFL Readiness? There's no doubt that adding top teams from Texas and Oklahoma will aide in SEC recruiting with a trickle down effect. It'll be easy to tell recruits they are the best and if you come to XYZ SEC school you will play with best against the best.

We also know being a highly touted recruit us no guarantee to even get drafted, though odds are higher. Will playing tougher games week in and week out help a recruit get to the next level? So much happens in those 3-5 yeats in campus. Will they work hard? Will they lose PT to the 3 other highly touted recruits at their positions? Will a player blossom at schools in lower conferences? I'm thinking the mental grind will help some and hurt some because this is their first time leaving the nest (i.e. home, hometown,, and their high school pond). Could more tougher games affect more players negatively than it helps?
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Here's a piece from 247sports.com making suggestions for the B12 to expand:

https://247sports.com/college/cincin...4/#168406444_1

Comment

• If it were possible to include every big 12 team and that includes WVU and Kansas, along with BYU and Boise State and combine them with the AAC wouldn't it be still considered a power 5 conference ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
            If it were possible to include every big 12 team and that includes WVU and Kansas, along with BYU and Boise State and combine them with the AAC wouldn't it be still considered a power 5 conference ?
            It'd still earn bid to an expanded CFP, though the AAC could do that too with the champion being one of highest 6 ranked conference championship. It would give a sliver of more hope to get a team into current CFP. It would be quality football.

However, the power designation comes from money, and that only comes when TV contracts believe your viewership with be high. Neither the AAC nor the left behind 8 move the needle in viewership. Add in that none of those schools, or combination of schools, bring in even half of the history/clout as OU or UT Austin alone, let alone with Big 12 losing both.

Comment

• Justin William's Twitter :

For reference, even at a 50% reduction, that $14 million per school for the remaining Big 12 members would be roughly double what the new AAC TV deal brings in for its programs each year.
              Quote Tweet

Sam Khan Jr.
              @skhanjr
              · 14m
              Big 12 commish Bob Bowlsby estimates that the remaining eight Big 12 schools could lose $14 million per year in TV revenue upon Oklahoma and Texas' departure. Bowlsby says Big 12 distributes roughly $28 million in TV $$ per school. OU/Texas = about 50% of that.

So, Im guessing the magic number for the AAC to retain everyone and add Big12 schools is a renegotiated value with ESPN of $14m per school. Ill take take.

Comment

• 14m isn't enough to elevate us much though it would certainly help with the budget... I'm reading that Notre Dame isn't interested in the ACC so our only hope is WVU pitching us as a partner to join ACC... however, ACC could want someone in Texas even though it makes no sense geographically... (unless they goto 20 and make a West Division... who knows). Still holding out some hope we don't get stuck in the AAC forever

Comment

• I might be a homer but I believe that the AAC has better value and a bigger TV audience than the remaining 8. When the dust settles, some of those schools will have a rude awakening.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                    I might be a homer but I believe that the AAC has better value and a bigger TV audience than the remaining 8. When the dust settles, some of those schools will have a rude awakening.
                    I think you’re right. The Big 12 should not be on our radar. I’m glad we didn’t go a few years ago. It will all depend on the TV contracts.

Comment

• Originally posted by made_hand View Post
                      Justin William's Twitter :

For reference, even at a 50% reduction, that $14 million per school for the remaining Big 12 members would be roughly double what the new AAC TV deal brings in for its programs each year.
                      Quote Tweet

Sam Khan Jr.
                      @skhanjr
                      · 14m
                      Big 12 commish Bob Bowlsby estimates that the remaining eight Big 12 schools could lose $14 million per year in TV revenue upon Oklahoma and Texas' departure. Bowlsby says Big 12 distributes roughly $28 million in TV $$ per school. OU/Texas = about 50% of that.

So, Im guessing the magic number for the AAC to retain everyone and add Big12 schools is a renegotiated value with ESPN of $14m per school. Ill take take.
                      You’re forgetting the 100+ million the schools would split from Oklahoma and Texas leaving the conference. If it dissolves they owe nothing. However if the Big 12 stays they have to pay their leaving fee which is EXPENSIVE.

Comment

• Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post

You’re forgetting the 100+ million the schools would split from Oklahoma and Texas leaving the conference. If it dissolves they owe nothing. However if the Big 12 stays they have to pay their leaving fee which is EXPENSIVE.
                        I think UT and OU use the buyout as a means to leave prior to 2025. If the conference dissolves, they won’t have to pay any amount. But they can give them some money less than the full buyout to leave early. We’ve seen this happen in prior realignments.

Comment

• Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post

Not only will the left behind 8 get the buyout, there is a clause in media deals to add around $25 million per school added. This is split between ESPN and Fox, maybe the left behind 8 invite schools and off the new teams the ESPN portion and let Fox renegotiate a lesser amount per school to keep good will with a future media partner. If an ACC is even in initial discussion phase, we say no to the Big 12. However, there may be circumstances where joining the Big 12 for a few years is worth the money. Of course the kicker is UC (and other AAC members) should be wary of maintaining good graces of ESPN, but I don't think UC is in their good graces now.

Comment

• I don't think Texas or Oklahoma are really in a bind as it relates to waiting out the current agreement and not having to pay the penalty. They've got a secure future. They can afford to stare down the remaining members who do not.

Comment

• Big 12 and PAC 12 are discussing a scheduling alliance and possible merger today.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                                Big 12 and PAC 12 are discussing a scheduling alliance and possible merger today.
                                UC’s worst nightmare occurring before it’s eyes . . . I never get excited when expansion talks start up because UC will never have a seat at the PX table.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X