No announcement yet.

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts are that if no invite comes to UC again, you make the AAC as relevant as possible so that the committees cant ignore any and all success. As football is the controlling criteria you take only OK state, TCU, and BYU since they are more often than not at least talked about regularly in the polls (football wise) and take Baylor solely for the success they've had these past few years in basketball. West Virginia makes sense in both bball and football but they are going to the ACC per everyone's opinion. But you don't take all 8 members of the Big 12. Let the remainders go wherever they can we don't need more East Carolinas in the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Does Navy fit? Does Temple fit? I mean the Washington/Anapolis markets may also hit Baltimore and Temple is the only football in Philly aside from Pen State. Neither have performed well, though not as historically bad as East Carolina and Tulane. I'd say 3 of the four have to go if adding all 8 Big 12 teams.
      I think Navy fits because Wichita St fits on the basketball side . Other than that, they don’t fit. Navy will be Interesting to watch. They still have lower tier media rights with CBS. They also had a deal with the league that keeps them in the west division. Logistically I’m not sure how that works out if you add a bunch of western schools.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Per the Longhorn Wire, the AAC are trying to merge with all the remaining 8 B12 schools:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-...192507882.html

Comment

• Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
          Per the Longhorn Wire, the AAC are trying to merge with all the remaining 8 B12 schools:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-...192507882.html
          and they probably will bc if you aren’t with ESPN, you are in no mans land. AAC will probably see their package increase in value but could be better if it weren’t for the bottom feeders of the conference.

Comment

• The SEC vote has happened. Texas and OU are in. Dominos may commence falling
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• My apologies to all forum members. I was thinking BYU was in the big 12 and was posting opinions on this incorrect info.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                The SEC vote has happened. Texas and OU are in. Dominos may commence falling
                Don't expect anything major to happen or at least be made public today, right?
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Should the AAC and Big 12 merge AND the CFP gets expanded to 12 teams with top six highest ranked conference champions being in, doesn't that open up another G5 slot? How does that help the SEC get more teams into the playoff. You have to figure ND or BYU one will always get in so that's one SEC team (the champion) in seven slots and only five remaining slots. Most years the Big 10 and ACC get a second team included, so that is only 3 extra slots remaining for SEC powerhouses, ie. 4 total for the SEC. If the CFP does actually expand to 12, I see it going to 16 fairly quickly.

On the other hand, I could also see the SEC having their own 4 team playoff for SEC championship. That is two extra marquee tv games for the evil empire. That makes for a long, long season and a lot of games for the eventual CFP championship pairing.

Comment

Don't expect anything major to happen or at least be made public today, right?
                    Regarding UC ? I doubt it. I don't think it's entirely up to us to be honest. ESPN's got this all figured out already I suspect. We just have to kind of wait and see what the plan is.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Should the AAC and Big 12 merge AND the CFP gets expanded to 12 teams with top six highest ranked conference champions being in, doesn't that open up another G5 slot? How does that help the SEC get more teams into the playoff. You have to figure ND or BYU one will always get in so that's one SEC team (the champion) in seven slots and only five remaining slots. Most years the Big 10 and ACC get a second team included, so that is only 3 extra slots remaining for SEC powerhouses, ie. 4 total for the SEC. If the CFP does actually expand to 12, I see it going to 16 fairly quickly.

On the other hand, I could also see the SEC having their own 4 team playoff for SEC championship. That is two extra marquee tv games for the evil empire. That makes for a long, long season and a lot of games for the eventual CFP championship pairing.
                      Not sure I'm understanding correctly, but I think the SEC is planning on snagging most of the 6 at large bids. It would be 1 each for PAC, ACC, B1G, SEC, AAC, MW? But also remember those rules are not set in stone and they will likely change to make sure more than 1 Group of 5 doesn't get in.

Comment

• Texas has accepted their SEC invitation. Oklahoma is currently meeting
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Question: If the AAC does add a number of B12 teams and perhaps drops a few schools (ECU, Tulane), what does that mean for our ESPN contract?

I understand that ESPN would willing to renogiate but would the conference have the ability to get out of the deal? Like, say they do the above, and maybe start/rename a new conference, are they free to negoiate the rights with other networks?

The reason I ask is I find it hard to believe that Fox is just going to take all of this sitting down, and give up. I could also see some places like Amazon or Peacock willing to pay to establish a foothold into CFB before ESPN completely takes over. I wonder if we could get a better deal elsewhere, orif these networks would at least drive up the price.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post

Not sure I'm understanding correctly, but I think the SEC is planning on snagging most of the 6 at large bids. It would be 1 each for PAC, ACC, B1G, SEC, AAC, MW? But also remember those rules are not set in stone and they will likely change to make sure more than 1 Group of 5 doesn't get in.
                            The SEC is planning on it,but I doubt it happens. 3 of 6 at large, with the occasional 4 at large bids is best case for them.

Comment

• I suspect that the SEC may plan on departing the current system and write their own rules. Remember that the NCAA does not control college football.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                                I suspect that the SEC may plan on departing the current system and write their own rules. Remember that the NCAA does not control college football.
                                You may be right. Wouldn't put it past Sankey to say one thing then do another

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X