Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
    Here's an opinion piece from the KS State writer at 247sports.com that urges the B12 to get busy adding teams. He argues that the B12 will not lose its P5 status. I was able to read this piece while not logged in to 247sport.com.

https://247sports.com/college/cincin...ati-169283520/
    I have been seeing a lot of articles where most are stating that the remaining 8 are not worthy of an invite to the other power 4 conferences. I think that the reality is starting to settle in on the remaining 8. The question is: will it be worth it for the UC, Houston, UCF, etc to join the remaining 8 for a couple of years. It is interesting to listen to the podcast of the homers from those schools and conference. They are in panic mode. It is kind of Parallel to what the schools went through with the failing Big East. The remaining 8 are no different from the top teir of the American but their egos are such that they will not recognize it. I feel a bit sorry for them. When the news first broke that Texas and Oka were leaving, the remaining 8 thought that they would be picked up immediately. After the 4-5 weeks, all conversations have shifted that they will be left out.

My question to all of you is that: will it be worth the few extra million a year to switch to the Big 12 or just stay put? Will the BIG 12 stay as a power 5 if UC, Houston, SMU, UCF, Memphis joins them? What influence does ESPN play in all of this?

It sounds like the news pundits are pushing for a merger of the best of AAC and the Big 12.

Comment

• If UC and a few other teams got an invite to join Big 12 July 1, 2022, that would triple or more our current revenue. I may not last too long, but you take that money if offered. There will not be a better offer in the next 3 years
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Welp, Looks like the BIG 10, ACC, PAC 12 alliance is the real deal. The Athletic is reporting that it may be announced as soon as next week and it's not just a scheduling deal. ($)

https://theathletic.com/news/big-ten...s/qQ7aaP9CvLAD
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Is it possible that as we continue to perform at a high level we have some scheduling flips? I know many games are scheduled 8-12 or more years in advance, but the Evil Empire could re-work some of those made for tv games. Anything to give any extra revenue, play anyone anywhere mentality. I'd certainly welcome 4 OOC games against any SEC, ACC, M!G, or PAC teams, top to bottom.

Comment

• We keep performing at a high level and some of those teams we've signed to play are going to dodge us and cancel the contract (looking at you Nebraska) . Makes for a nice payday for us and we get to schedule something better possibly? I'll take that all day.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Congress has reared its ugly head here. Looks like a Senator from Kansas wants to investigate ESPN’s role in this mess per the Athletic
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                If UC and a few other teams got an invite to join Big 12 July 1, 2022, that would triple or more our current revenue. I may not last too long, but you take that money if offered. There will not be a better offer in the next 3 years
                I agree. I don't have alot of faith in the long range longevity of that conference but you would have to roll the dice. You might see a situation where we and Memphis, Houston and UCF join but then Kansas, West Virginia etc leaves before we ever get there. Like what happened in the last days of the Big East when we added schools that left before they got there. (San Diego State, Boise State and TCU)

Comment

• My concern with going to the Big12 is that they will only give us a much smaller percentage of the current payouts until Texas/Oklahoma leave and then the payouts will drop down significantly anyway. The travel cost might not outweigh the extra money. If we get invited you almost have to demand an equal share, I hope UC is discussing these types of things with other AAC schools that are potential targets so they can stand together on the issue

Comment

• On the Big 12/Pac12/Big 10 alliance thing. The Penn St. AD said the AAU thing out loud.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nce-pac-12-acc
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• There has been alot of internet chatter in the last few days about the Pac 12 taking some of the Big 8 schools. That is not a good sign for us. It is believed that any additions to the Pac 12 will be announced after the details of this ACC/Big10/Pac12 alliance gets finalized and announced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
                        There has been alot of internet chatter in the last few days about the Pac 12 taking some of the Big 8 schools. That is not a good sign for us. It is believed that any additions to the Pac 12 will be announced after the details of this ACC/Big10/Pac12 alliance gets finalized and announced.
                        Any links? I was under the impression that the Pac wasn't interested due to too few TV viewers and the distraction of possible Big 10 invites for USC, etc. The new commissioner for the Pac probably doesn't have much time right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
                          There has been alot of internet chatter in the last few days about the Pac 12 taking some of the Big 8 schools. That is not a good sign for us. It is believed that any additions to the Pac 12 will be announced after the details of this ACC/Big10/Pac12 alliance gets finalized and announced.
                          Everything that I have been reading lately is that the remaining 8 are on the island of misfit toys. Nobody wants them, they think that their value is way higher than it is. In fact, even their own beat writers are stating now that the best option for the remaining 8 is to pick up teams quickly. It is a completely different story than when news first broke about Texas and Oka.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Any links? I was under the impression that the Pac wasn't interested due to too few TV viewers and the distraction of possible Big 10 invites for USC, etc. The new commissioner for the Pac probably doesn't have much time right now.
                            Report: Pac-12 Commissioner Says League Will Make a Decision Whether To Expand in ‘Next Couple of Weeks’ | Pistols Firing (pistolsfiringblog.com)

Comment

• It seems a lot of teams are reaching out to the Pac. I have little belief UC would be in the conversation, but I do hope the AD has at least reached out to inquire. Along a similar vein, will the Alliance make a concerted effort to have all conferences at 14 teams or possibly 16.

Edit: Does it help or hurt that Bohn is AD at USC? He was AD at Colorado when they left Big 12 for Pac, and leads the premiere school in the conference.
                              Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 08-23-2021, 02:24 PM. Reason: Just recalled that Mike Bohn is AD at USC

Comment

• I was listening to the Dan Patrick show and he was saying what some "inside sources" have been telling him. The alliance in the short run will stop the playoff expansion because it gives ESPN and the SEC too much power. This screws us because we have a historically good team with a chance at the playoffs. If it stays at 4 this year then we will have little chance. When the contract comes up in I believe 2025 the alliance schools will want other networks also involved in the process. These people also think that the rest of the Big 8 aren't really attractive to the other conferences. Maybe Kansas will go somewhere because they have one of the best basketball programs in history but these people even said that WVU may even be left out. They were also saying that they could see a NFL type model of maybe about 50 or so teams with maybe 16 of those making the playoffs.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X