Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

I’m not willing to join the B12 unless a new TV contract is worked out giving equal shares to all the teams, with a significant jump from the current AAC money. Even then I’m skeptical about it, especially if BIG 12 will be looked at as Gang of 6. All of the AAC teams should take the same stance.

Or, maybe the AAC boots ECU and Tulane, and absorbs the BIG 12.
    In reading opponent evaluations, Tulane has upped their game and might be competitive starting now. ECU, well ...........

Comment

• After the Pac-12 decided not to expand at this time, it gave the Big XII an opportunity to look at all available schools. There is an Athletic article stating that the Big XII is seriously considering BYU and rightfully so. I think an addition of BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, and a pick of Houston/Memphis/USF or Temple make a lot of sense.

BYU - huge following and competitive programs.
      Cincinnati - a good following, in BIG territory, and will compete immediately for championships in football and basketball.
      UCF - a good following in ACC and SEC territory will competed in football, be a bottom feeder in basketball. Is not an island due to hundreds of easily accessible flights to Orlando daily.
      Houston - with A&M and Texas leaving there is a need for the Big XII to cover Southeastern Texas and a need to have the 5th largest city in the nation in the conference, but will old grudges hold them back? Football will be middle of pack, basketball will compete day 1.
      Memphis - a decent following with decent football and basketball, but on could be on the verge of basketball prowess with Hardaway. Football will be a top tier, but not championship caliber for awhile. Although its not a sexy splash it would be a good stash.
      USF- Ties you to Florida hotbed recruiting. Sports would be way behind for awhile, but could be competitive with the right hires, and on campus football stadium.
      Temple - to complete an eastern wing. Maybe bball rises to the its old glory days, and football is always tough, but just not there. They would be my last option.

A Big XII that looks like this would be a fun league

BYU
      Kansas
      Cincinnati
      Iowa St
      Kansas St
      West Virginia
      Texas Tech
      Oklahoma St
      Central Florida
      Houston
      Baylor
      TCU

Comment

• It's gonna be an incredibly tough basketball conference that's for sure... Maybe the best. I prefer they take UCF, Houston, Memphis, UC. You have to take UCF because they are a potentially powerhouse football program waiting to explode but the others would make the Big12 the best bball conference while still being relevant in football and hopefully hanging on to P5 status.

This is all assuming the ACC & B1G don't expand due to the "Alliance"
        Last edited by Chewbacca2099; 08-27-2021, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• The question is could OU and Texas still be in conference when/if New schools are added. I doubt it, but wouldn't put it past the 8 to screw Texas as much as possible
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• I don't think they will be. The leftover 8 will want to keep all the money to themselves. The bigger question is WHEN will they leave. Could be next year, could be several years down the road. I'm hoping sooner than later so we have more leverage to keep Fick onboard

Comment

• New Pete Thamel column https://sports.yahoo.com/think-big-h...203016120.html

He says the Big 12 should go big and expand to 16 teams, planting its flag in key TV markets from coast-to-coast, which over time should result in the league reemerging as a national power.

To get to eight schools, he suggests adding BYU, Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State, Houston, UCF, USF and Cincinnati (Memphis and Tulane could be considered too)

With 16 teams, he proposes four pods -- including the "East" pod consisting of UC, WVU, UCF and USF (or sub in Memphis for one of the Florida schools - I'd imagine UCF > USF)

Comment

• ESPN is still in the driver's seat.

https://twitter.com/CAustinCox/statu...332277255?s=19

"It's up to ESPN at this point. Invariably, it's up to ESPN. It's not just us [schools]. FOX [Sports] has its head in the sand and won't say anything. Whatever happens, it's being decided in Bristol (ESPN)." - Current Big 12 Assoc. AD on whether the Big 12 will be able to expand
                Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 08-27-2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Big 12 subcommittee says 'nothing imminent' on potential expansion (espn.com)

I am starting to get worried. If we don't get in the Big 8 at this point then we will never get out of the AAC, I see that they are only seriously pursuing BYU at this point. Why would you not be serious about UC and UCF at this point? They are the two schools from the AAC that have the best football and they could somewhat compete against the remaining 8. Maybe they are going to add BYU first and then come after us? It would be less messy for BYU to join because they are an independent. The AAC and ESPN signed a 12 year contract last year so how much would be the buyout for us for the 11 remaining years? Would ESPN try to stop AAC schools from leaving because it would weaken their contract with the AAC? If UC, UCF, Houston and Memphis leaves then that dramatically weakens their numbers.

Comment

• You can't "worry" about this stuff. It has a life of its' own. The key is always to put good teams on the field or court and things will take care of themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post
                      You can't "worry" about this stuff. It has a life of its' own. The key is always to put good teams on the field or court and things will take care of themselves.
                      And butts in the seats

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post
                        You can't "worry" about this stuff. It has a life of its' own. The key is always to put good teams on the field or court and things will take care of themselves.
                        I hear you and I know this isn't life or death but I'm a big UC fan so I want what is best for the program and this could be a make or break situation.

Comment

• Per cbssports and a few other twitter "first hand accounts" Big 12 is looking to add BYU first. Not sure if this is really happening, with the Honor code clause, nor are there indications this move would be made stand-alone or with other invites.

https://247sports.com/Article/confer...ion-169728437/

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                            Per cbssports and a few other twitter "first hand accounts" Big 12 is looking to add BYU first. Not sure if this is really happening, with the Honor code clause, nor are there indications this move would be made stand-alone or with other invites.

https://247sports.com/Article/confer...ion-169728437/
                            I can't imagine that they would add BYU in anything other than football. The rest of the teams comepete in the WCC and none of the teams can play on Sunday.

Along those lines, what do you do as the Big 12 if BYU gets an NY6 Bowl or a CFP invite and the game is on Sunday. Not play?
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I have been reading a lot of speculation that the remaining 8 have been in talks with UC, UCF, and Houston.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                                I have been reading a lot of speculation that the remaining 8 have been in talks with UC, UCF, and Houston.
                                Good news if true!!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X