Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I can't imagine that they would add BYU in anything other than football. The rest of the teams comepete in the WCC and none of the teams can play on Sunday.

Along those lines, what do you do as the Big 12 if BYU gets an NY6 Bowl or a CFP invite and the game is on Sunday. Not play?
    Has BYU not accepted a Sunday Bowl invite in the past or did the Bowls simply not invite them knowing they couldn't play on Sundays?

PS - How do BYU grads in the NFL reconcile the issue of not playing on Sundays?
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Here's another take on B12 expansion candidates. The top 4: UC, UCF, BYU, San Diego State. The article promotes expansion with these schools as adding the most value to the conference.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2021/08/31...save-big-east/

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Has BYU not accepted a Sunday Bowl invite in the past or did the Bowls simply not invite them knowing they couldn't play on Sundays?

PS - How do BYU grads in the NFL reconcile the issue of not playing on Sundays?
        I think it's the latter. As far as the NFL is concerned, once they leave BYU, I'm pretty sure they can do what they want. They're not bound by the school's honor code after that point. Not every player at BYU is Mormon so for some of the NFL players it's never an issue.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The Big 12 has issued ….. something. This is really weak.

https://big12sports.com/news/2021/9/...statement.aspx

Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• That was weak but would you expect anything other than that?

Comment

The Big 12 has issued ….. something. This is really weak.

We are committed to each other, since no one else will take us in

Comment

The Big 12 has issued ….. something. This is really weak.

This is like me saying "I am committed to breathing today". Do we really expect them to say anything different than this? This was really lame.

Comment

• I not convinced at all that the Big 12 is a viable option at this point. Maybe if the AAC holds together we’re better off where we are.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                    I not convinced at all that the Big 12 is a viable option at this point. Maybe if the AAC holds together we’re better off where we are.
                    I'm not terribly confident the AAC will be fully in on football. Some schools are all in like UC and UCF, Houston and Memphis, while others aren't. Except for Kansas (who did try with the Les Miles hiring), the remaining Big 12 members are committed to building quality football while competing at highest levels in all sports. Those seven are as or more committed to football as UC, UCF, Houston, BYU and a handful of other AAC schools, unlike USF, Temple, E Carolina, and Tulane who will be good every once in a while without fully investing in facilities. (stadium and training facilities, bubble, etc...)

It will depend on overall value. If an invite to Big 12 comes with current tv contract and full shares beginning July 1 2022, then you almost have to take a three times increase in revenue for 3 years and commit to continuous improvement to hope the next contract is significantly better than current AAC deal. That would mean longer term increased annual revenue, increased levels of competition, and make it worth any buyouts to exit the AAC. With the current level of play by Iowa State, UC, and UCF I'm optimistic that gamble pays off, especially given the commitment and history of TCU, TT, Baylor, Houston, and Ok State.

Comment

• Houston may not be involved... I keep hearing San Diego state and Boise ahead of Houston. I do hope they take all 4 you mention though

Comment

• Houston is mentioned some. The reasons why others have discounted Houston are: first, the other Texas schools do not want to compete for recruits with another Texas school in the Big 12. The second is due to the reason of how Houston's top dogs acted during the 2016 non-expansion process of the Big 12. However, there is some talk about the Big 12 going to 16 teams. The big question is whether they can expand prior to UT and OK living. Something about if the expansion happens while those two schools are still in the conference, they can use that to get out of their grant of rights fees.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1433457064630706178
                          The Big 12's current preference in expansion discussions is adding four members, sources tell @TheAthletic. BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston are considered the leading contenders. Still a lot of work to be done
                          Last edited by GoBearcats31; 09-02-2021, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I'm not terribly confident the AAC will be fully in on football. Some schools are all in like UC and UCF, Houston and Memphis, while others aren't. Except for Kansas (who did try with the Les Miles hiring), the remaining Big 12 members are committed to building quality football while competing at highest levels in all sports. Those seven are as or more committed to football as UC, UCF, Houston, BYU and a handful of other AAC schools, unlike USF, Temple, E Carolina, and Tulane who will be good every once in a while without fully investing in facilities. (stadium and training facilities, bubble, etc...)

It will depend on overall value. If an invite to Big 12 comes with current tv contract and full shares beginning July 1 2022, then you almost have to take a three times increase in revenue for 3 years and commit to continuous improvement to hope the next contract is significantly better than current AAC deal. That would mean longer term increased annual revenue, increased levels of competition, and make it worth any buyouts to exit the AAC. With the current level of play by Iowa State, UC, and UCF I'm optimistic that gamble pays off, especially given the commitment and history of TCU, TT, Baylor, Houston, and Ok State.
                            Rather than edit, I'd like to say Mike Aresco has done a fabulous job as AAC commissioner. It doesn't take hundreds of millions per year to have a top notch football program and the investments over time will have great return on investment as new fans become more fanatic. Several AAC programs have shown ability to become national powers under Aresco and within the confining constraints of AAC lower revenue and somewhat lower competition, Aresco isn't the problem and I'd endorse him as commisioner once Andrew Luck retires after taking over for Bowlsby. The AAC as a whole has shown that power comes on the field first, and given time the viewers/fans would follow. Some programs are simply much more ready to be power programs. Unfortunately, some who are ready will be left out. I hope Cincy isn't left out this time.

Comment

• Athletic says the Big 12 is looking at UC, UCF, BYU and Houston ($)

https://theathletic.com/news/big-12-...s/5CZvjXPK0mL1
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Well, if the AAC sees expansion in their future, the time to act is now. UC and UCF are the best remaining candidates. I’m tired of conference hopping, I’d just like to find a place and stay put. The Big 10 is where we should be, the politics will kill that. The ACC is a better geographic fit than the Big 12. If we move again, I just hope it’s the last time.
                                Last edited by longtimefan; 09-02-2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X