No announcement yet.

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we get an invite within a week, along with 3 other AAC schools we could negotiate to much less than 27 months, but unless we get to Juky 1, 2022, why pay much more for 22 months? The AAC will survive and could use the cash infusion to recruit replacements. July 2023 is latest acceptable joining date.

Interesting to read USF and SMU were seriously considered, especially if Houston was not the 4th team..

How would we learn of invite? I'd love to think that could be arranged such that universities receiving invites make announcements or at least coordinated press releases. I doubt the leaks would get details when invites go out or timing to accept bid.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Is that basketball talking or money? The ACC only makes sense to reunite some BEAST rivals and play Duke in BB. ACC football isn't that great. Couple good at top and fair in middle. With multiple Kansas type bottom feeders. SEC and Big 10 make more sense than ACC, and neither will happen.
      I too think the Big 10 makes more sense but then again, tO$U won't allow and our legislators really don't feel the need to force the issue. Second choice is ACC. Makes a lot more sense geographically and we could challenge Clemson, Florida State and Miami every year. Re-establishing rivalries with Pittsburgh and Louisville and seeing Syracuse regularly also makes a great deal of sense.

Comment

• Can't wait to see BYU fans and WVU fans in the same place at the same time. That could be epicly hilarious.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          Can't wait to see BYU fans and WVU fans in the same place at the same time. That could be epicly hilarious.
          Anybody else remember what Nippert was like the last time W. Va. came to town - it was almost impossible to move around the stadium. For stability and local opponents (Pitt, U of L, etc.) I would still rather be in the ACC, but Ok. St., Iowa St., Baylor, etc., replacing ECU, Tulsa, et. al. you've got to be kidding!
          Last edited by richard k.; 09-03-2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Friend shared something with me from an OSU board and someone who I believe is a major "insider" / "scoops" guy said UC, BYU, UCF done deal to Big 12 and Houston a maybe. FWIW...

And Stewart Mandel just tweeted something about figuring out who the AAC should go after "when it loses Cincy/UCF/Houston"

Comment

Is that basketball talking or money? The ACC only makes sense to reunite some BEAST rivals and play Duke in BB. ACC football isn't that great. Couple good at top and fair in middle. With multiple Kansas type bottom feeders. SEC and Big 10 make more sense than ACC, and neither will happen.
              As you noted, the SEC and Big 10 are both out. That leaves the AAC, the Big 12, and the ACC. Of the 3, the ACC is far more stable. In different ways, the AAC and Big 12 are both now on life support. Of course, this isn't basketball or money talking. It is just a longtime fan who probably thinks we have way more value than most of the other conferences do!

Comment

• Joseph Duarte of the Houston Chronicle says the B12 will vote next week on expansion candidates, and that UH is expected to receive unanimous support. BYU, UC & UCF are mentioned, but Duarte did not allude to how those votes may turn out.

Comment

• If this happens, and OU/Tex are both gone, which destination will you look forward to making a road trip.

My top 3 in no specific order

Provo, Utah - BYU is a powerhouse, plus loads of hiking opportunities in Utah
                  Ok State - Thr Ciwboys are another excellent program with an absolute rabid fan base. Plus, iI really enjoyed my last trip to Oklahoma, albeit in Norman

Kansas, for basketball. Need I really say more?

Bonus, the drivable game in Morgantiwn will be a definite yes

Comment

• KHOU is now reporting that this is a done deal and bids will go out in 7-10 days
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I'll see it to believe it.

Comment

• Originally posted by UC4me View Post

As you noted, the SEC and Big 10 are both out. That leaves the AAC, the Big 12, and the ACC. Of the 3, the ACC is far more stable. In different ways, the AAC and Big 12 are both now on life support. Of course, this isn't basketball or money talking. It is just a longtime fan who probably thinks we have way more value than most of the other conferences do!
                        It may not be basketball but wouldn't you want to be in 5th/3rd for a conference game the first time Huggins leads his Mountaineers onto the floor?

Comment

I'll see it to believe it.
                          I'm with you. Way too many people had this is a sure thing the last go around.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Lobot What do we now about KHOU anyways? Like if Fox19 -- for example -- broke some major UC news I would be taking it with a huge grain of salt (I guess they did get some exclusives with John Brannen "sources" back in the spring...)
                            Last edited by GoBearcats31; 09-03-2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

If this happens, and OU/Tex are both gone, which destination will you look forward to making a road trip.

My top 3 in no specific order

Provo, Utah - BYU is a powerhouse, plus loads of hiking opportunities in Utah
                              Ok State - Thr Ciwboys are another excellent program with an absolute rabid fan base. Plus, iI really enjoyed my last trip to Oklahoma, albeit in Norman

Kansas, for basketball. Need I really say more?

Bonus, the drivable game in Morgantiwn will be a definite yes
                              I went to the BYU game when we played them & that part of the country is beautiful. I'd go back in a heartbeat. Lots of things to do & see.

Comment

• Thread from Pete Thamel on expansion and timeline, etc.
                                https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/statu...71024660094976

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X