No announcement yet.

Expansion Thread 2024

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin Wiliiams recaps UConn expansion talk. I didn't realize he was the one who originally broke the story. ($)

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/573...naming-rights/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      UCONNNNNNNNNN!! Here we go again. ($)

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/571...-uconn-pursuit
      Big 12/Brett Yormark put out a statement that they have "jointly decided to pause [their] conversations at this time."

Comment

Pac 12 may add Boise St, Fresno, Colorado State, San Diego State (to Oregon State and Washington State)
        https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-pac...033254424.html

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
          Pac 12 may add Boise St, Fresno, Colorado State, San Diego State (to Oregon State and Washington State)
          https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-pac...033254424.html
          The Pac12 "surviving" is a good thing. I don't mind that they tie up California and the Pacific NW, and don't even see CSU as a rival for tv sets in Colorado. Boise may be the biggest loss/impact for the Big 12 in terms of viewers because people in California don't even watch USC or UckLa.
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

OK, am I missing something? That's a 6 team conference. Also, what happens to the Mountain West if this happens?
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

OK, am I missing something? That's a 6 team conference. Also, what happens to the Mountain West if this happens?
              The NCAA recognizes a conference to be valid if there are seven members. In this case, though, the P12 is in the midst of a two-year grace period that allows them to operate with fewer members. That leads me to believe that another shoe or two (or more) will drop later.

As far as the MWC is concerned, there presently are 12 member schools. So, they'd be down to eight, which still meets the NCAA minimum. However, I imagine they'd try to get back to 12, if possible. They could raid the UAC or target the Dakota and Montana schools. In either case, those teams would have to move up to FBS.

Comment

Chris Vannini is saying the application and admission vote might be today.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Chris Vannini is saying the application and admission vote might be today.
                  Bruce Feldman says the Pac 12 Board of Directors voted unanimously to admit those four -- they will begin for all sports in 26-27 ... I felt badly for Wazzu and Oregon State so a nice consolation for them.

Comment

PAC Media guy Jon Wilner, who now has a job again, is saying that the PAC 6 will go after Tulane and Memphis to reach eight teams.
                    Last edited by Lobot; 09-12-2024, 01:21 PM.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

if you noticed, all six of those teams end with "state". will that be a requirement going forward? could that lead into a sponsorship with allstate? the allstate state conference? memphis used to be memphis state - could it change back?. seriously, i'd think the PAC 2 would look a little further west, to help with travel - i really wonder what kind of money it'll get with the new lineup - enough for AAC teams to add the extra travel costs and headaches?

Comment

UNLV and Wyoming have popped into the conversation for the PAC. That would leave the MWC in the same spot that the PAC is currently in with 6 teams .

I'm confused as to why they just didn't merge the conferences and adopt the PAC 12 brand. Must have been TV or money related to not do that.

Cal and Stanford are looking a little silly right now but I'm sure the academics thing came into play in that decision.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Some moving pieces from several sources here:

The PAC is done grabbing schools until spring supposedly. At that time it's looking at UNLV, Wyoming, Nevada and San Jose St. It has to pay a penalty to the MWC if it takes them (they are paying a penalty for the schools they just took as well). Memphis and Tulane are out there and the penalty is smaller and so is their exit fee from the AAC.

To really throw a wrench in things, you have you have the current situation with the ACC grant of Rights. If FSU and Clemson manage to sue their way out of the ACC, Stanford and Cal are likely to exit and stay on the west coast from things I've seen.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Thamel: Air Force has emerged as a serious target to be added to the AAC

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X