Threads closing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iamspen View Post
    Because without us, there wouldn't be much of a website.
    Still doesn't make it our project. Although there are many members here and those members that left would easily be picked up by other members. Like I said, this site has been around a long, long time.
    -SlM-

Comment

Originally posted by SLMadiCat View Post
      Still doesn't make it our project. Although there are many members here and those members that left would easily be picked up by other members. Like I said, this site has been around a long, long time.
      Since they started adding advertising, it becomes a little different "project." With the Orange Bowl and the BBall team coming back they might even make a few bucks.

Any commercial venture should be looked upon differently than a "labor of love."

Comment

Originally posted by jeffto View Post
        Since they started adding advertising, it becomes a little different "project." With the Orange Bowl and the BBall team coming back they might even make a few bucks.

Any commercial venture should be looked upon differently than a "labor of love."
        I could be wrong, but I don't think they make much money, if any at all, on the advertising. It's used to support the costs of the site. For some reason, I thought they said that a while ago.
        -SlM-

Comment

LOL... amusing thread. I can't believe that people are getting attacked for providing feedback in the Feedback forum.

Personally, I would like to see threads that move off topic moved to the General forum rather than closed down, unless there is some kind of storage space issue. No, I don't care enough about that to start my own message board, but I do think that some interesting chains of discussion between Bearcat fans are ended prematurely before they are able to full play out because they are deemed to be Off Topic.

And of course, as the mods love to remind us when we complain about certain posters spamming the board, there is always an ignore function so you don't have to subject yourself to those posters who occasionally stray off topic if you don't want to.

Comment

Wow - I just found this thread and read the last weeks worth of posts. (now this is where you complain about the mods not reading their own Feedback board!)

I'll try to address some things from the last few posts -

= = = = =
            SLMadiCat - I often disagree with some of the thread closings but it is their site, they put the work into it, and I'm grateful that they do it out of pure pleasure and no cost to us. If I get to the point to where I can no longer stand it, I will just quit posting. And like you said, I have the ability to create my own site. It is much harder than people think and takes a lot of one persons time.
            SLMadiCat? "Stop posting"? No freekin way.
            What would you do with those extra two hours each day? haha
            Alot of folks seem to forget that the site is free.

SLMadicat - I have no idea how long you have been on bearcatnews, but the site has been around for a long, long time. There are plenty of users to support this site regardless of the select few who oppose the moderation.
            BearcatNews.com was started in 1999 as I recall. Before that there were two independent websites run by Keith and Brett. I joined the team about the same time they joined forces.

After looking at some numbers (and removing the attempts by spammers to join) I would guess that about 1000 people have joined the message board since its inception, but obviously only a hundred or so post regularly.

iamspen - The administrators here typically do a pretty good job, but if I start a thread I believe to have merit, and it's closed, I've every right to complain because this is my community, too. Do the administrators have to listen to me? No. They can do whatever they want. But that doesn't mean they should do whatever they want. This stopped becoming their project when a legitimate community was built. It's now our project, and, IMO, the powers that be have a certain moral responsibility to not be douchebags (I reiterate, I'm not saying they WERE being douchebags).

SLMadicat's reply - Where do you get this from? This isn't our project, we have absolutely zero ownership in this website.
            Yay! I'm not a douchebag! If a thread is closed, you are welcome to complain. Send a PM to me or Keith or both.

"This stopped becoming their project when a legitimate community was built."
            - I disagree with this. Thanks SLMadicat for the reply. Its still our project and our board. You cant demand to buy a Toyota at your local Chevy dealer, even though both are cars. No one is required to post on this board when - off the top of my head - I can think of five other boards that would happily host Bearcat/college sports chatter.

ME80 - Actually I said you can complain, but don't expect changes to come when handling threads. In fact I don't remember the admins ever close a thread because some one complained.
            We occasionally get emails about a "Reported Post" and we check them right away (assuming I am in front of my PC), but most are closed because we want to eliminate possible flaming or a downgrade of the thread or the topic is old.

jeffto - Since they started adding advertising, it becomes a little different "project." With the Orange Bowl and the BBall team coming back they might even make a few bucks.
            Without going into detail, I will say that yes we make a few bucks. But we only receive checks about every six months. None of the three of us will retire on this income. Believe me.

frankstallone - Personally, I would like to see threads that move off topic moved to the General forum rather than closed down, unless there is some kind of storage space issue. No, I don't care enough about that to start my own message board, but I do think that some interesting chains of discussion between Bearcat fans are ended prematurely before they are able to full play out because they are deemed to be Off Topic.
            And of course, as the mods love to remind us when we complain about certain posters spamming the board, there is always an ignore function so you don't have to subject yourself to those posters who occasionally stray off topic if you don't want to.
            No storage space issue.

Yes, please us the Ignore function.

I guess we could investigate starting an 'open thread' once in a while. Maybe we can set some reduced guidelines - meaning that a particular thread is a little more wide open than a standard thread and the moderation would be reduced. Thoughts?
            Mike In Clifton

No sarcasm on the internet.

Comment

I have been on the message board for a while now (long before it became a web based system and was ran over email) and I come and go depending on how bad the personal attacks have been. They have seemed to die down lately with the success of the football team and the improved basketball team. Just remember that you have very little rights here. It is a public forum, but the time that Keith, Mike, etc. put into it gives them the right to regulate it how they please. They do this (my guess) because they have an interest in the programs and not to make money so keep that in mind and I think this because I have seen them at a few UC athletic events.
              College of Business Administration 2000

Comment

Admins tell me this, why clothes threads on AK? Nothing negative was said in the one, and it got closed for no reason. I dont get why everything is on lockdown. As far as im concerned there is nothing wrong with people putting a story up that is relevant to UC.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
                  Admins tell me this, why clothes threads on AK? Nothing negative was said in the one, and it got closed for no reason. I dont get why everything is on lockdown. As far as im concerned there is nothing wrong with people putting a story up that is relevant to UC.
                  Was wondering this exact thing. Frankly, find it a bit ridiculous, as I think it is clearly relevant to the forum seeing how he is our former coach and got arrested in this very city.

Comment

Talking about Kennedy's incident can only go one place and that one place is negative. I saw this when several attempts were made to start threads on this subject. We don't need that here. Also, Kennedy does not coach here and this incident has absolutely no impact at all on the current team.
                    Keith Wedinger
                    Bearcatnews.com Administrator
                    Twitter: @jkwuc89

Comment

Originally posted by jkwuc89 View Post
                      Also, Kennedy does not coach here and this incident has absolutely no impact at all on the current team.
                      Your right, which is why it was put in the Where Are they now section.

Comment

Originally posted by jkwuc89 View Post
                        Talking about Kennedy's incident can only go one place and that one place is negative. I saw this when several attempts were made to start threads on this subject. We don't need that here. Also, Kennedy does not coach here and this incident has absolutely no impact at all on the current team.
                        It wasnt negative, closing the threads is getting really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegreatone View Post
                          It wasnt negative, closing the threads is getting really bad.
                          I agree. I sent him a PM on this subject, but I guess I'll say it here too. If you want to have a dead board, with nobody reading it, keep moderating it like this. If not, you have to let us discuss this, and other things that are relative to UC. I understand that this is a privately owned website, but you have to lighten up. If not, this will become a ghost town soon enough.
                          I guess I can't use "Fire Zimpher" anymore!!!

Comment

Why Kennedy arrest threads are not permitted

I just received the following direct e-mail about Kennedy threads being deleted.

"In my opinion, it seems like you and Mike are getting a bit too intolerable about topics on the board. I know its your board and you can run it the way you want, but I think that some topics which are tangentially related to UC should be permitted, such as Andy Kennedy."

"I'm not suggesting that rude, insulting or inappropriate language should be permitted. But topics that are discussed in a respectful way should not be closed."

Here is how I replied. I think it explains clearly why we are not allowing Kennedy arrested threads.

You hit the nail squarely on the head. Based on my experience with this board with regards to topics relating to Coach Huggins, opening up threads on Kennedy's arrest would not result in a respectful discussion. The threads and posts I already deleted were already spiraling down this disrespectful path.

For the most part, we are pretty tolerant about the subjects being discussed. But, we (the admins) have seen a bit too much contention and rancor lately so we've decided to tighten things a bit on the basketball forum.

Fortunately, the football forum does not suffer from the same contention and rancor.
                            Keith Wedinger

Comment

I dont get it to be honest, so you assume the posters are going to get negative so you immediately close threads.

Most posters here just want to talk and read about bearcat sports and most everyone is getting frustrated with the unneccessary restrictions we are being put under. Everyone wants to keep things clean but just to delete for topics is silly.

I find it funny that a thread about huggins or kennedy gets deleted in 5 minutes because he could lead to someone saying something negative but someone making comments on Wylers wife stay up for a long time, i am not sure if it isnt still up.

explanation?

Comment

Remember...we do this in our spare time and some things are easier to spot than others. Honestly, why does anyone really want to talk about Kennedy's arrest? We just beat Mississippi State for crying out loud and the football team is going to the Orange Bowl. I think we can find better ways to spend our forum time.
                                Keith Wedinger

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X