Coaching Carousel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
    Bohn is well aware of the mess we currently have in football. He has a very difficult situation to navigate through and must be fiscally accountable. He understands our culture and is sensitive to our unhappiness and his own disappointment. In hindsight the 4 year extension was a mistake, but what would we be saying if we had won 9 games this year. Its always a crap shoot and an educated guess and this one didn't work out, Bohn realizes that and is doing his best to figure out how to fix it. Losing our athletic supportive President hasn't helped the situation. Not knowing who the new Pres. will be and what support the AD will have is slowing the process. Timing is bad. At this point I still trust Bohn and feel confident that he is doing his best but dealing with some really bad circumstances. Who would have predicted a year ago that at this time we would have had such a poor season, lost our Big 12 bid, lost our Athletic supportive President. This really hampers any leaders ability to implement quick fixes.
    Agree. There is always a lot of hair trigger reaction when things go wrong in hindsight, but UC would have been universally criticized if they would have gotten rid of TT after 3 seasons given he had a winning record and 3 bowl appearances. At the end of the day, it's pretty much a certainty that regardless of why you terminate a head football coach you will owe him at least a year's salary if not much more. It's just the nature of the market, and ours is very, very cheap. Consider the buyouts we've rec'd from MSU, ND and UT. Just part of the game. As for Bohn not understanding the culture of UC football, that's totally incorrect. However, he doesn't have the last say in all of this in my estimation.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

Agree. There is always a lot of hair trigger reaction when things go wrong in hindsight, but UC would have been universally criticized if they would have gotten rid of TT after 3 seasons given he had a winning record and 3 bowl appearances. At the end of the day, it's pretty much a certainty that regardless of why you terminate a head football coach you will owe him at least a year's salary if not much more. It's just the nature of the market, and ours is very, very cheap. Consider the buyouts we've rec'd from MSU, ND and UT. Just part of the game. As for Bohn not understanding the culture of UC football, that's totally incorrect. However, he doesn't have the last say in all of this in my estimation.
      Then the question is who is going to make the decision? Davenport is basically out the door. I can't see the resulting interim, interim president making that call either. Is the BoT going to terminate a coach? The major problem here is that we're pretty debt heavy and the Athletic Department is in major subsidy because of it. I think it goes without saying that the financially prudent thing for Bohn to do is keep Tubs another year but the vast majority of the fan base including donors are against that move and that in turn puts Bohn on thin ice as well. More importantly he's going to tick off quite a few donors both big and small. It's not a great situation all the way around for anyone involved.

Speaking of finances. The AAC conference members get a windfall if Navy makes a major bowl so Go Navy!
      Last edited by Lobot; 12-01-2016, 12:38 PM.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The beneficial thing about having a "non competitive" year, versus having a losing season where you were close, is it gets the attention of everyone including the board of trustees. My gut feels is if Bohn demonstrates to them the financial risk of retaining him, he would likely get their backing. Just a hunch.

Comment

Les Miles to Purdue is no longer a thing according to a couple of national sources. It'll be interesting to see if Purdue goes after Fleck.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

So, from a tiered leadership standpoint, does anyone know where we stand on the hiring of a new president? UC needs to get it's house in order from the top down. That starts with the BoT getting on the ball and hiring a new president. Without oversight, Bohn is making the decision on the new coach on his own. I think there should be some oversight by an active board and president to make sure the right decision is made in regards to TT, and the new coach if TT is fired.

Comment

A seven figure decision has to be ok's by the board. Bohn could not do that on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                Les Miles to Purdue is no longer a thing according to a couple of national sources. It'll be interesting to see if Purdue goes after Fleck.

I heard a report at lunch that Houston is looking at Miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilenerm View Post
                  So, from a tiered leadership standpoint, does anyone know where we stand on the hiring of a new president? UC needs to get it's house in order from the top down. That starts with the BoT getting on the ball and hiring a new president. Without oversight, Bohn is making the decision on the new coach on his own. I think there should be some oversight by an active board and president to make sure the right decision is made in regards to TT, and the new coach if TT is fired.

For what it's worth, BoT chair Richardson said a new prez will be hired before end of March 2017.

Bohn would lead the search committee but he cannot sign the contract on his own and the final contract has to be approved by the BoT as part of its fiduciary responsibility.

Comment

Indiana head coach Kevin Wilson steps down over "philosophical differences". So another P5 job opens up. The full blown silly season is upon us. Fasten your seat belt.

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post
                      Indiana head coach Kevin Wilson steps down over "philosophical differences". So another P5 job opens up. The full blown silly season is upon us. Fasten your seat belt.
                      Philosophical differences is awfully fancy wording for physical mistreatment of players.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

I heard a report at lunch that Houston is looking at Miles.
                        Houston is also talking about Kiffin. I don't think they get either of them.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I hope they get Kiffin. He's as dysfunctional as they get and his skills are offset by all his baggage.The guys a loon, and he won't stay any longer than needed until he can prostitute himself to the next bidder. Hiring him will keep Houston in "transition" for 5 years.

Comment

Brohm looks like he's headed to Purdue as of now. Even the Louisville media guys think he would be better off with us. Fleck is apparently Purdue's backup plan.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                              Brohm looks like he's headed to Purdue as of now. Even the Louisville media guys think he would be better off with us. Fleck is apparently Purdue's backup plan.
                              I must be out of touch, but I can't imagine why anybody would want the Purdue job. I don't care how good you think you are, that job is a career dead end.

Comment

Dan Wolken at USA Today is saying that Purdue believes they are out of the Fleck race and that's why the focus is on Brohm at this point.

Lane Kiffin will interview at Houston.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X