Indiana 9/24 3:30 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
    I have been a fan of UC FB since the Tony Mason days. We have had some great QB's, and some not so good during the "dark days" of Dave Curry. I cannot remember a single one though who did not have at least some dimension of being able to run..... BB's slide attempt to get a first down in the 4th Quarter showed us how slow he is. EP would have gotten the first down and at least 5 more yards on top of that.

B.C.
    Yep, and probably 175 yards passing. Again, the coaches know what they are doing. If we can't run the ball any better than we did, then passing is the mode of attack. If thats the case, Bryant gives them more chance to score. Its not his fault we shut it down in the second half, became predictable, and tried to run the ball and eat clock.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post

Yep, and probably 175 yards passing. Again, the coaches know what they are doing. If we can't run the ball any better than we did, then passing is the mode of attack. If thats the case, Bryant gives them more chance to score. Its not his fault we shut it down in the second half, became predictable, and tried to run the ball and eat clock.
      I think you are making my point. Bryant is the starter. He has earned that, and boy, did he make some pretty throws in the first half. He also had some receivers with some agonizing drops in the second half. But, if the game plan switches at half time to a run-heavy offense, and if it is struggling to get going, then bring in a passer/runner, or if you prefer, a runner/passer. I am not advocating that EP should have played all game. I am saying that, during this Indiana game in the second half, to go with the strength of what you are trying to do. At least see if he can mix it up enough to help the Cats do something other than pound out a whopping 1.3 yards per carry.

Comment

Awesome win over a big 10 team. Just need to improve the running game!

Comment

Originally posted by UC4me View Post

I think you are making my point. Bryant is the starter. He has earned that, and boy, did he make some pretty throws in the first half. He also had some receivers with some agonizing drops in the second half. But, if the game plan switches at half time to a run-heavy offense, and if it is struggling to get going, then bring in a passer/runner, or if you prefer, a runner/passer. I am not advocating that EP should have played all game. I am saying that, during this Indiana game in the second half, to go with the strength of what you are trying to do. At least see if he can mix it up enough to help the Cats do something other than pound out a whopping 1.3 yards per carry.
          I agree. I said all preseason that I thought our best offense would be an unpredictable 2 headed monster. Hard to prepare for and an attack for all occassions. It also appeared that Ben hurt his throwing arm which only compounded the situation.

Comment

My concern with yesterday's game was the 2nd half performance. It wasn't so much that the we didn't do anything but you've a QB out there for most of the 3rd and all of the 4th quarter who was obviously hurt in the throwing arm and they didn't sub Prater. I'm not sure if that was Ben not wanting to come out or just game management strategy by Gino and Luke. In any case, I feel like we got lucky to win that becuase of the lack of offense in the 2nd half.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Box Score:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401405096
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Inconsistency is a tough trait to have at any position but QB is even tougher. BB holds on to the ball too long and is fairly immobile, a tough combo when teams through a lot of blitz packages against us. IU put some film out there that should require Gino to refrain from that type of play calling in the second half. There’s something curious about Prater not playing in the second half. We are going to struggle vs real talent, I’m afraid, especially on the road.

Comment

Zach Osterman, IU beat writer for the Indy Star:

”Gotta say, first time at Nippert Stadium yesterday. Really cool atmosphere and setting, right in the middle of campus. Up there with some of my favorite spots in the Big Ten.”

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                    Zach Osterman, IU beat writer for the Indy Star:

”Gotta say, first time at Nippert Stadium yesterday. Really cool atmosphere and setting, right in the middle of campus. Up there with some of my favorite spots in the Big Ten.”
                    This is really cool. I know I have been guilty of taking our stadium gem for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post

They did not attempt to run the clock out. They were snapping the ball with 25 seconds left on the shot clock. As for bad officiating, there was a horse collar on one of our wide receivers at the sideline that was not called. It was obvious.

Comment

I am surprised to read so many anti-Ben posts today. I thought he made throws in the first half that Ridder never made the past few years. He was hitting people in stride and allowing them to run after the catch. There were 2 horrible drops in the 2nd half, one by McClelland and I don't remember who had the other one. With all the running issues we had, I find it hard to believe our biggest issue is our QB. Our QB was 24 of 40 with 4 tds and a QBR of 121.6. I am way more concerned with our inability to run the ball. It is especially killing us in the red zone. 25 rushes for 42 yards isn't going to get it done. Our long run was 6 yards.

I did listen to part of the post game with Fickell and he said they went to a much more "controlled" offense in the 2nd half. I did also find it interesting that were snapping the ball with so much time left and then calling a very conservative game plan. It seemed to be counter-productive.

Comment

Originally posted by GangstaTakester View Post
                          I am surprised to read so many anti-Ben posts today. I thought he made throws in the first half that Ridder never made the past few years. He was hitting people in stride and allowing them to run after the catch. There were 2 horrible drops in the 2nd half, one by McClelland and I don't remember who had the other one. With all the running issues we had, I find it hard to believe our biggest issue is our QB. Our QB was 24 of 40 with 4 tds and a QBR of 121.6. I am way more concerned with our inability to run the ball. It is especially killing us in the red zone. 25 rushes for 42 yards isn't going to get it done. Our long run was 6 yards.

I did listen to part of the post game with Fickell and he said they went to a much more "controlled" offense in the 2nd half. I did also find it interesting that were snapping the ball with so much time left and then calling a very conservative game plan. It seemed to be counter-productive.
                          Your point about Ben making throws Ridder often didn't is accurate. At the time Ben transferred, I actually would have preferred he had been the starter over Ridder. I do not mean to sound anti-Ben. Not at all. He seems to be handling all of this with a lot more grace and maturity than some of the fan base. The run problems you highlighted drive my question for not switching the offensive leader at the time to help match what was being attempted in the run game. But, the coaches know a zillion more things about this than I do. It was just curious to me given what the coaches have said all season and what was transpiring on the field in the second half. But, I am very happy with the win.

Comment

Prater has really handled this with class and maturity. He is very involved on the sideline and very engaged with Ben when he comes off the field. Their relationship seems very solid and I don't see any sulking or attitude. Thats very commendable as I am sure he wants to be on the field. I just thought under the circumstances, it would have been a good time to throw him a bone and better facilatate our clock management.
                            Gino is also in a new role and learning on the fly. Perhaps the coaches will also tweak things as they learn. Overall it was still a very nice win. The key is that we get better every week and address any identified deficiencies. I am confident we will. I am also confident that if we played Arkansas this week instead of week one that we would beat them.

Comment

Post game analysis from Justin Williams ($)

https://theathletic.com/3624411/2022...tball-indiana/
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I still find it funny that the Indiana DC Chad Wilt, who worked with Fickell a couple of year ago, just went and assumed we were going to run it down their throat in the first half. That lost them the game. Mindblowingly dumb if you watch any of our tape from previous games at all. I do not get it.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X