West Virginia 11/18 2:30 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Virginia 11/18 2:30 ESPN+

West Virginia started the season with a blowout loss to Penn St. and I think everyone kind of assumed they'd fire Neal Brown shortly and go from there. It was a surprise that they brought back Brown at all after last season but apparently WVU couldn't afford the contract buyout apparently and is having cash flow problems at the state level. Brown and the Mountaineers then ran off 4 straight wins and ended up in the Top 25 for a while before coming back to earth in conference while losing three of their next five including a last second fluke to Houston.

They 6-4 overall but 4-3 in conference. They are primarliy a running team. They have 3 backs with over 400 yards on the season led by CJ Donaldson at 750 yards and 10 TDs. One of those additional backs is the QB Garrett Green so we have a nother running QB to spy this week.

I have not seen WVU play this season but it looks like on paper they might be an offensive carbon copy of the Bearcats. The defense is a diiferent matter were the Mountaineers have given about over 200 ypg on defense in the run game. With both teams running a lot, time of possession will be key and we're going to have to be efficient when we have the ball on offense.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...stats/_/id/277
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

It is expected to be chilly in Morgantown on Saturday, with a high around 50F. About a 20% chance of showers, otherwise partly cloudy. Fairly light breeze out of the NNW.

Comment

This one sets up nicely for the Cats if they can play another clean game and not give/forfeit points. WV is not very good against the run, and the fan base is pretty dejected between Brown and the Okie blowout.

Comment

I just remembering one of the CUSA years (2003?) in Morgantown, it just poured down rain the whole game. We won the game 15-13. I was watching at a local establishment and confidently told the the bartender I'd take a drink for every turnover. Huuuuuuuge mistake. There were 10 turnovers in that game but it was the first time we'd ever won in Morgantown.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          I just remembering one of the CUSA years (2003?) in Morgantown, it just poured down rain the whole game. We won the game 15-13. I was watching at a local establishment and confidently told the the bartender I'd take a drink for every turnover. Huuuuuuuge mistake. There were 10 turnovers in that game but it was the first time we'd ever won in Morgantown.
          I was at that game. There was one TD the entire day, a short pass to Chris Henry who broke some tackles and ran it in over 50 yards. UC kicked 5 field goals. Just good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

I was at that game. There was one TD the entire day, a short pass to Chris Henry who broke some tackles and ran it in over 50 yards. UC kicked 5 field goals. Just good enough.
            Yes, I was there also. Bob Goins had a bus trip to game for like $75 per person and spent overnight Friday at hotel at Penn National. He wanted to show the Big East we could travel well. WVU fans/students cursed us, spit on us, and poured drinks from upper deck on UC fans in lower bowl.

Comment

I was at the game as well with the band. The WVU fans were the WORST I've ever encountered. The band has a strict rule of not letting anyone cut through our lines when we are marching and several people were getting in fights with the band trying to cut through and also trying to steal our mouthpieces/instruments along with the spitting pushing etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                I was at the game as well with the band. The WVU fans were the WORST I've ever encountered. The band has a strict rule of not letting anyone cut through our lines when we are marching and several people were getting in fights with the band trying to cut through and also trying to steal our mouthpieces/instruments along with the spitting pushing etc.
                my only live exposure to WVU fans has been here, at home. they still acted like j/o's. i can only imagine what they're like at wvu.

Comment

My experience with the fans at WVU is if you stay away from the tailgate crowd you're in good shape. The fans in the stadium used to be pretty civil and respectful. This was well before they served beer inside the stadium though. I would imagine things have gone downhill from there.

Worst crowd goes to Hawai'i in my book.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

My experience with the fans at WVU is if you stay away from the tailgate crowd you're in good shape. The fans in the stadium used to be pretty civil and respectful. This was well before they served beer inside the stadium though. I would imagine things have gone downhill from there.

Worst crowd goes to Hawai'i in my book.
                    In the words of Rick Minter following UC's game in Honolulu and the treatment of Bearcat fans, "This is a disgrace!"

Comment

Yep, I think that was Don Nehlen's first game at Wv who is being honored Saturday, and also our first win over WV I believe.

Comment

Let's clear this up ....
                        On September 13, 2003, UC beat the 3rd year Rich Rodriguez-led Mountaineers for the first time ever, 15-13 on four Chet Ervin FGs and a touchdown pass from Gino Guidugli to Cedric Dawley (the XP failed).

Chris Henry did indeed score a TD.

It was a bright and sunny day; the RAIN* game was a few years later against QB Patrick White and Steve Slaton RB.

* Yikes, did it rain! Our motel was flooded on the backside and one of our party had to move to another room late at night because of water coming into their room. And it didn't stop on game day, either.

The rain game was also the game I decided that I would never go to another game in Morgantown because of the harassment inside and outside the stadium.

Comment

Well then one of us is confused. It's probably me all things considered but check the weather on these two box scores.

2003: https://gobearcats.com/boxscore.aspx...&path=football

2008: https://gobearcats.com/boxscore.aspx...&path=football

Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

It was more than a light rain in 2003. I was soaked to the bone. Took forever on the bus trip back to Cincy for my jeans to dry out.

Comment

https://gobearcats.com/sports/footba.../boxscore/3225

We'll have to agree to disagree, but the chain of events is what sticks with me. After UC won in 2003 we stood around by the team bus until some of the team came out and then when we returned to where our auto was some guy was grilling and shared some burgers with us, for a price (only time anybody offered food and then charged at any away venue).

At the 2006 game, the rain continued from the day before and into game and afterwards. Every time White made a place the video board played Sponge Bob saying, "Nice play, Patrick." When we left the stadium to return to our auto (parked in the same place as before), a fan berated us down to the entire way until I asked him what else he wanted, WV won the game; his GF agreed and told him to shut up. The only revenge we had was because of the amount of rain, we gave Hamburger guy a nice lawn job on our way out.

And maybe "light rain" in 2003 was West Virginian for sunshine.
                              Last edited by Geaux Juan; 11-17-2023, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X