Welcome to the Big XII

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    Just saw something similar from Nicole Auerbach. The agreement has reached but not the price per Aresco.
    Aresco shot himself in the foot when he agreed to total of $17 million for UConn to leave with 15 months notice and no replacement. Asking for $10 million exit fee, plus an additional $35 million for three teams to leave with 22 months notice is unacceptable. HE will blink in the standoff or all three teams will play in AAC for 23/24. The revenue we will get will be prorated and much less than $45 so it would be a loss of almost $20 plus to leave with those terms in place.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• And that’s the starting point from the look of it. 17-20 range

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/...in-big-12-2023
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Big 12 meetings are going, including the four new members (see @CFBHeather on Twitter)

Comment

• Report: Cincinnati, Houston, UCF Negotiating $17-20M Settlement to Join Big 12 in '23 | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
          Could pay off with one year TV revenue.

Comment

• What if Texas and Oklahoma leave early? If Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC in 2023, here are 7 things that would be impacted (saturdaydownsouth.com)

Comment

• Interesting article on UCF, their recent success, increasing recruiting clout, etc. about joining the Big 12. I suspect that it will be similar for UC. The Bearcats may not be able to compete against tosu in recruiting but we should hold our own against regional teams such as UK, UL, PU, IU, WVU, Illinois, NW, Minn, Wisc, Pitt, etc. Keep CLF, keep winning, keep recruiting.
              Last edited by bearcatbret; 05-05-2022, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• LISTEN: The Big 12s makeover is coming, could be clumsy (247sports.com)

WATCH: College football trying to weather the storm (247sports.com)

College football trying to weather the storm

Here are two well-known and two well-positioned voices in college football: Paul Finebaum and Jack Swarbrick. Finebaum is a respected media personality in the south who doesn't why from the most important topics. Swarbrick is Notre Dame's athletic director. The latter for the former's attention late last month with a pretty grim outlook for the future.

"It’s not only the future — it’s the present," Finebaum said. "And I read something over the weekend from Jack Swarbrick of Notre Dame, respected individual — highly respected — and he said that he thought the NCAA current structure, Power Five, would be obsolete by the middle of the 2030s. That’s 10 years off. I think he’s being very, very generous. I don’t think this is a sustainable model that will last another couple of years. Now, it’s impossible to predict the breakup of an organization like this because it moves so slowly. But it is going to come apart. The NCAA is on its last breath. And I think college football, as we know it, is on its last breath."

That's significant, but the most notable part of such a statement is that it really isn't that bold. Look around and take inventory of changes that make you uncomfortable about the present and the future. There are many of them, right? You can't do much about it. Worse yet, the people who are in charge of safeguarding the sport don't seem very invested or interested in doing so. In the video above, Late Kick host Josh Pate addresses the tornado and who's in the middle of it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                  LISTEN: The Big 12s makeover is coming, could be clumsy (247sports.com)

WATCH: College football trying to weather the storm (247sports.com)

College football trying to weather the storm

Here are two well-known and two well-positioned voices in college football: Paul Finebaum and Jack Swarbrick. Finebaum is a respected media personality in the south who doesn't why from the most important topics. Swarbrick is Notre Dame's athletic director. The latter for the former's attention late last month with a pretty grim outlook for the future.

"It’s not only the future — it’s the present," Finebaum said. "And I read something over the weekend from Jack Swarbrick of Notre Dame, respected individual — highly respected — and he said that he thought the NCAA current structure, Power Five, would be obsolete by the middle of the 2030s. That’s 10 years off. I think he’s being very, very generous. I don’t think this is a sustainable model that will last another couple of years. Now, it’s impossible to predict the breakup of an organization like this because it moves so slowly. But it is going to come apart. The NCAA is on its last breath. And I think college football, as we know it, is on its last breath."

That's significant, but the most notable part of such a statement is that it really isn't that bold. Look around and take inventory of changes that make you uncomfortable about the present and the future. There are many of them, right? You can't do much about it. Worse yet, the people who are in charge of safeguarding the sport don't seem very invested or interested in doing so. In the video above, Late Kick host Josh Pate addresses the tornado and who's in the middle of it all.

I agree that the NCAA as we know will most likely cease to have any influence or governance over college football, at least at the elite level. However, I don't envision a league like NFL with any number of the top tier teams only playing each other. Whether it be a 32 team or 64 team group that breaks from the NCAA, I simply don't see these teams only playing each other. First off, the money generated from extra home games is huge. Teams pay 1-3 hundred thousand dollars for directional state lower tier U to come to their house because the home team at top tier schools make a few million on top of tv revenue. The difference in operating budget between 6 and 7 home games could support one or two smaller sports. Secondly, I don't see oh st, Bama, or UGA accepting 4 loss seasons as elite like in the NFL. The great college teams can afford to play a softer schedule and use those games as extra practice/evaluation to prep for the 2 or 3 tough games on the schedule. Like it or not, the Top 25 needs Northwestern, Vanderbilt, G5, and FCS teams to beat up upon. While there may be a break from the NCAA as a governance body, the break will be more about making/keeping money with the P5 programs and the school Chancellors/Presidents will put something in place to maintain the student athlete model as opposed to drafting high school kids and paying them a salary. These big schools like their money and the NIL model lets kids get money from Boosters without getting salaray/benefits from the school. (A side note, the XFL/USFL or whatever non-NFL teams are missing the boat on drafting and paying high school kids like the G league.)

While change is inevitable, I don't think it will ruin college sports. Purists may yearn for the App St over Michigan upsets in the Big House, but it will be more entertaining for top tier teams to play 8-10 tough games as opposed to 2-3. All I hope is that whatever model is next for elite college football teams that it include your Cincinnati Bearcats!
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Spring meetings are over. Gundy and Holgorsen Reunion in the Desert at Big 12 Spring Meetings | Pokes Report

Comment

• Looks like divisions might not be happening after all.

https://theathletic.com/news/ncaa-fo.../EOTjZNYLouND/
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• What UCF is doing to prepare. Also, they have the number 47 recruiting class. Conference realignment: How UCF is preparing for Big 12 move (tampabay.com)

Comment

• It looks like UC is adding key staff to get ready for the Big 12. Brad Pike Joins Cincinnati Athletics as Executive Senior Associate AD - University of Cincinnati Athletics (gobearcats.com)

A long read but an interesting one about future realignment, big money, playoff, etc. College Football Problems and Ways to Fix Them: Conference Realignment | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
                          Last edited by bearcatbret; 05-13-2022, 12:08 AM.

Comment

And that’s the starting point from the look of it. 17-20 range

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/...in-big-12-2023
                            From that article "Multiple sources said they are “fully confident” that a settlement will be reached this month by UC, UH, UCF and the AAC." Has anyone heard anything on the agreement? Also, has there been any news about the Commissioner hunt?

Comment

• I’ll try and get on this when I get back in town. I’d like to know myself
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I’ll try and get on this when I get back in town. I’d like to know myself
                                The Houston Chronical and the San Antonio Express may have something but I am not a subscriber.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X