NCAA Legal Thread
Collapse
X
-
-
Tennessee and Virginia have won a preliminary injunction against the NCAA. The NCAA cannot enforce additional rules around NIL while the injunction is in play.Leave a comment:
-
I am just guessing but if Tennessee and Virginia were suing to be allowed to pre-pay potential recruits, they were already doing it.Leave a comment:
-
Leave a comment:
-
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...eds-salary-cap
A day after a historic ruling that could change collegiate sports by allowing NCAA athletes to unionize, St. John's coach Rick Pitino said the sport needs a "salary cap" and a new hierarchy to thrive.
Leave a comment:
-
Yeah I had this conversation with a couple of legal Twitter accounts in the know last night. They can get the visas transferred. The bigger question is what happens when you flood the system with requests en masse if this decision from the NLRB takes effect without warning.Leave a comment:
-
The schools will find a way to get foreign athletes a work visa, thus making them eligible for pay/employment.
Good question. Need a tax lawyer on that one. It could be, but is it w-2 salary or bonus or 1099 with no withholding?
I've seen this come up a couple of times on Twitter. What do you do with foreign players? They're on a student visa. They're not eligible to work and they don't necessarily qualify for a work visa. On the current track we're on, they would either have to give up sports and finish on an academic scholarship or go home.
I mean if this mess takes effect this summer, what do you do with Viktor Lakhin? Going home is not a great or realistic option for him right now.Leave a comment:
-
Good question. Need a tax lawyer on that one. It could be, but is it w-2 salary or bonus or 1099 with no withholding?
I've seen this come up a couple of times on Twitter. What do you do with foreign players? They're on a student visa. They're not eligible to work and they don't necessarily qualify for a work visa. On the current track we're on, they would either have to give up sports and finish on an academic scholarship or go home.
I mean if this mess takes effect this summer, what do you do with Viktor Lakhin? Going home is not a great or realistic option for him right now.Last edited by Lobot; 02-05-2024, 09:52 PM.Leave a comment:
-
If they’re employees, doesn’t that make the value of their scholarships taxable?The Dartmouth athletes vs NCAA has been decided. Dartmouth men’s basketball players have been deemed employees of the university by the courts. As such they will be able to unionize.
I’m skeptical because the Ivy League players are non scholarship but this has the potential to just burn down the NCAA student athlete model.
https://t.co/WHB31u3hI0Leave a comment:
-
The Dartmouth athletes vs NCAA has been decided. Dartmouth men’s basketball players have been deemed employees of the university by the courts. As such they will be able to unionize.
I’m skeptical because the Ivy League players are non scholarship but this has the potential to just burn down the NCAA student athlete model.
Leave a comment:
-
I'd like non-compete clauses for 3 or 4 years in the contract.
I'm guessing you meant sue not sit. I'm not a labor attorney but it seems to be that limiting compensation on NIL isn't going to fly with NLRB and other in federal land. If a head coach or med staff were sued, the University would probably probably be on the hook for defense fees since they are employees of the university and anything that went against them would probably be a drop in the bucket in the budget tbh.
I saw someone mention today that the only way to solve some of this mess is go with employment contracts with stipulations for athletes with non-competes and NDAs.Leave a comment:
-
And now this, right on cue: a player accused/charged with rape has an injunction to lift his suspension. He will lose his NIL deal if he doesn't play and he supports several family members
from the article;
"The Court further finds that Plaintiff has no adequate remedy at law and will suffer irreparable harm without an injunction."
Leave a comment:
-
I'm guessing you meant sue not sit. I'm not a labor attorney but it seems to be that limiting compensation on NIL isn't going to fly with NLRB and other in federal land. If a head coach or med staff were sued, the University would probably probably be on the hook for defense fees since they are employees of the university and anything that went against them would probably be a drop in the bucket in the budget tbh.
I read in there because players are now limited in making NIL by the NCAA decision, the injury to players to sit a year is cause for the lawsuit. However, if this is upheld by the courts, does it open up players to sit coaches who injure their NIL opportunites but not getting enough PT? Or a player to sue the medical staff for being too cautious to ensure they are 100% before being cleared to play and a player can still make good NIL money playing hurt AMA or at 80%.
I saw someone mention today that the only way to solve some of this mess is go with employment contracts with stipulations for athletes with non-competes and NDAs.Leave a comment:
Responsive Ad Widget
Collapse
Leave a comment: