NCAA Legal Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatbret

    Does that mean the university can have them sign a non-compete clause?
    Probably not since the legality of non-competes is under review with the Dept of Labor. I think non-competes got shot down a while back but it might still be going through the appeals process.

    Leave a comment:


  • bearcatbret
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot
    Appeals court ruling has athletes pegged as employees deserving of compensation.

    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...etes-employees
    Does that mean the university can have them sign a non-compete clause?

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    Appeals court ruling has athletes pegged as employees deserving of compensation.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by swilsonsp4

    Schools such as HCU are in a real Catch-22 situation. If they decide to participate in paying their players, they risk financial ruin for the athletics departments. They don't draw huge TV cash and don't pack large stadia. If they decide to forego paying players, they will become even more irrelevant than they are now. Many schools may need to downgrade to D2/D3.
    Yep and it's likely a lot of FCS schools are going to hop on the bandwagon for this settlement challenge.

    Leave a comment:


  • swilsonsp4
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot
    The House case settlement is in danger. Houston Christian U, an FCS school, has filed an objection to the plan.

    https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/558...caa-challenge/
    Schools such as HCU are in a real Catch-22 situation. If they decide to participate in paying their players, they risk financial ruin for the athletics departments. They don't draw huge TV cash and don't pack large stadia. If they decide to forego paying players, they will become even more irrelevant than they are now. Many schools may need to downgrade to D2/D3.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    The House case settlement is in danger. Houston Christian U, an FCS school, has filed an objection to the plan.

    https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/558...caa-challenge/

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot
    The NCAA has a new angle today which might kill off a couple of court cases for the NCAA. The D1 NCAA Rules committee recommended that the injuction put in place from Dave Yost's case regarding multi-time transfers will remain in place.

    Players will be allowed to transfer freely to another school provided they are in good academic standing at the current school and making progress toward their degree when enrolling in a new school.

    The full NCAA membership will vote on this on 4/22
    This has been been permanaently enjoined. Free transfers for everybody

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by red_n_black_attack

    I doubt NIL and revenue sharing will be subject to Title IX. I mean some guys get paid more than other guys because they have more NIL value; they simply bring more return to the investors using their NIL. I think the thing in Title IX that isn't going to be an issue is that all athletes have the right and opportunity to market their NIL value, which will be different athlete to athlete.
    That may be the case.

    I've heard and read a number of articles on putting in place an NIL "salary cap" for schools (not directly on players) . All parties need to figure that out and it has to wait until athletes eventually become employees and have representation to negotiate it.

    This thread is going to get really long eventually because there are so many parties with angles to iron out and I'm sure there will be more lawsuits filed along the way. This could have all been in the works for years and it still wouldn't be a smooth transition.
    Last edited by Lobot; 05-29-2024, 11:47 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot

    Don't know.

    What I suspect from the House settlement is that NIL collectives will be dragged in house to Athletic departments most likely. That's the only way to deal with Title IX and keep things reasonably equitable between revenue and non revenue sports if in fact that's what you want to do. NIL collectives are not beholden to Title IX, I don't think. I could be wrong.

    Regardless or whether I"m right or wrong, Cincy Reigns, Altius folks, etc. seem to be finding good avenues for non revenue sport athletes for NIL contracts
    I doubt NIL and revenue sharing will be subject to Title IX. I mean some guys get paid more than other guys because they have more NIL value; they simply bring more return to the investors using their NIL. I think the thing in Title IX that isn't going to be an issue is that all athletes have the right and opportunity to market their NIL value, which will be different athlete to athlete.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatbret
    As I understand this, it is payment of revenue sharing. The only programs that may make money at nearly all schools are football and basketball. Will these payments exclude all other sports? If so, will the NIL still be used for those nonrevenue sports?
    Don't know.

    What I suspect from the House settlement is that NIL collectives will be dragged in house to Athletic departments most likely. That's the only way to deal with Title IX and keep things reasonably equitable between revenue and non revenue sports if in fact that's what you want to do. NIL collectives are not beholden to Title IX, I don't think. I could be wrong.

    Regardless or whether I"m right or wrong, Cincy Reigns, Altius folks, etc. seem to be finding good avenues for non revenue sport athletes for NIL contracts

    Leave a comment:


  • bearcatbret
    replied
    As I understand this, it is payment of revenue sharing. The only programs that may make money at nearly all schools are football and basketball. Will these payments exclude all other sports? If so, will the NIL still be used for those nonrevenue sports?

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    House settlement articles:

    ($) https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/551...tlement-votes/



    The settlement in House vs. NCAA is just the latest in a 70-year buildup and teardown of amateurism.


    The landmark $2.8B deal topples the NCAA’s long-standing rules around amateurism and could help protect the organization from future legal challenges. But plenty of questions remain as to how it'll all work.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    House has been settled for 2.8B.

    Update:The judge has to approve the settlement but that's all that left here. We're paying players directly which probably means the the NIL Collectives will go away.
    Last edited by Lobot; 05-24-2024, 03:51 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • GoBearcats31
    replied
    @PeteThamel
    Sources: The Big 12 presidents and chancellors have unanimously voted to settle the looming anti-trust cases, including House v NCAA. They have bee[n] briefed in recent days on the settlement’s 13-page term sheet. The Big 12 is the first of six named parties to vote this week.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    NCAA looks like they are about to settle the House case for multi-billions. The Big East is big mad because they don't think they got treated farily as a non power conference in football. A little ironic since they're considered one in basketball and they opted to keep the conference name and from when it was a power conference in football. I'm thinking had they not hoovered up the name for brand recoginition reasons, they'd be considered a separate business entity from the Big East that had BCS football when UC was in it. Maybe they'd be paying less in that case.

    Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...