2022 Transfer Portal Megathread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Transfer Portal Megathread

Well, might as well get this started. This thread is intended to be news-based and not for people to start trashing any Bearcats or saying this person or that person should leave.

My vision:
    - Post any noteworthy transfer portal news around college basketball
    - Post any UC portal-related updates if/when they happen
    - Post any news of transfers who UC contacts or shows interest in

A couple of questions - are you allowed to have 13 scholarship players on a 15 man roster ? Do redshirt players count against both the scholarship limits and the roster limits ?

Comment

My take is the redshirt players count against both the scholarship limit and the roster limit. Let's not speculate who from UC should transfer but rather report it if they enter the portal.

Comment

That's fine, I don't want to speculate and I don't believe in criticizing amateur athletes or suggesting that anyone leave. Under the circumstances, I was pretty happy with this team's record.

Comment

Redshirts do count as scholarships. Without speculating, UC would appear to be at the maximum 13 scholarships for next year with two out of eligibility (Koval, Ado) and perception that Banks wouldn't be on scholarship -- and then adding three high school senior signees. It seems inevitable there will be some attrition, but until anything happens there isn't room for anyone else.

Comment

Don’t know how it’s going to work out, but we can offer transfers a trip to Hawaii, as we play in Maui next season.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
              Don’t know how it’s going to work out, but we can offer transfers a trip to Hawaii, as we play in Maui next season.
              Perhaps lucrative NIL options would speak louder.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                Redshirts do count as scholarships. Without speculating, UC would appear to be at the maximum 13 scholarships for next year with two out of eligibility (Koval, Ado) and perception that Banks wouldn't be on scholarship -- and then adding three high school senior signees. It seems inevitable there will be some attrition, but until anything happens there isn't room for anyone else.
                This is how I have it figured. It assumes that everyone on the current roster opts to return (including DDJ and Newman) and that the 3 new recruit commits fill the spots vacated by Banks, Koval, and Ado. There is no room for transfers unless we have attrition with other guys which I feel we will know soon enough.

Comment

Not to stray too far from the intent of his thread, I just wish to expand on Leo's comment by predicting that the NIL will have/ make a bigger impact on college recruiting than the portal itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                    Not to stray too far from the intent of his thread, I just wish to expand on Leo's comment by predicting that the NIL will have/ make a bigger impact on college recruiting than the portal itself.
                    There is no doubt the NIL will have a bigger impact than anything else. There is a story where a junior in highschool just signed an 8 million dollar NIL with the college football( unknown school and player) team and hasn't played a minute of college football. This will be how smaller teams compete with the big boys. Offer giant deals and get blue chip recruits, the landscape has changed and this is the future of recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox19bearcatbounce View Post

There is no doubt the NIL will have a bigger impact than anything else. There is a story where a junior in highschool just signed an 8 million dollar NIL with the college football( unknown school and player) team and hasn't played a minute of college football. This will be how smaller teams compete with the big boys. Offer giant deals and get blue chip recruits, the landscape has changed and this is the future of recruiting.
                      How are smaller teams with less revenue and smaller athletic budgets going to compete with the big boys?

Comment

NIL's are corporate sponsor funded, not athletic budget. Certainly Cincinnati has every bit the corporate environment as anyone. That's the wave of the future, at least for now, so we better get in the game if we want to remain relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                          NIL's are corporate sponsor funded, not athletic budget. Certainly Cincinnati has every bit the corporate environment as anyone. That's the wave of the future, at least for now, so we better get in the game if we want to remain relevant.
                          I hope you're right !

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                            Someone needs to go to these corporate giants and see if they are willing to put some money down for the NIL deals, if kentucky or duke is offering let's say 25 to 50k and Cincinnati is offering 100 to 200k I would say a recruit looking at theses schools would definitely take that extra dough. This is how cincinnati and smaller schools can compete, any super 5 star stud that's nba potentially is going pro rather he goes to uc or uk. Also likes and retweets are going to help also with recruiting. Things have changed, now let's get ahead of it before were big12 bound.

Comment

Just recently I was reading where fedex got involved in the recruitment of a player coming to Memphis. Loserville's stadium is named after KFC and some others food chains (Yum inc.) so when I look at some of the businesses here in Cincy I would hope that they would want to get involved. I think their going to have to if we want to be relevant in collegiate sports.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X