2024 NCAA Transfer Portal Megathread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bearcat9796 View Post

I read u can give scholly with NIL $ ....so sounded like can go beyond limit
    Preferred walk-ons receiving NIL$ instead of scholarships. Schools like SMU should be able to buy a championship level team.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Preferred walk-ons receiving NIL$ instead of scholarships. Schools like SMU should be able to buy a championship level team.
      I cannot see a scholarship level player accepting NIL in lieu of a scholly. The player will be asking "Why me? Why do I have to pay tuition/room/board when (points to perceived lesser player) he doesn't?" Unless there was a really good relationship with the player and a great NIL offer explicitly saying he's getting value to pay for tuition/room/board, you will set up an ego battle that will be a nightmare for the team and coaches to manage.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat9796 View Post

I read u can give scholly with NIL $ ....so sounded like can go beyond limit
        This is factual, although Wes did say in his Presser a few days ago he anticipates the roster being complete UNLESS they get an extra scholarship spot, sounds like this really isn't on his radar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          UK's Ugonna Onyenso is in the portal. Might be headed to Arkansas but he's now the top rim protector in the portal. Might be wise to target him or Ogbakko if Sean Stewart doesn't pan out
          Onyenso is Big 12 bound: Kansas State

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I cannot see a scholarship level player accepting NIL in lieu of a scholly. The player will be asking "Why me? Why do I have to pay tuition/room/board when (points to perceived lesser player) he doesn't?" Unless there was a really good relationship with the player and a great NIL offer explicitly saying he's getting value to pay for tuition/room/board, you will set up an ego battle that will be a nightmare for the team and coaches to manage.
            Such NIL would be whatever he would've gotten anyway, plus the costs of admission, etc. He won't lose a dime.

Comment

• Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Such NIL would be whatever he would've gotten anyway, plus the costs of admission, etc. He won't lose a dime.
              This almost belongs in the legal thread. Scholarships are grants and not taxable? NIL is taxable ? Help?
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• NIL is taxable. It is divided into two categories - monetary and non-tax compensation.
                The Tax Reality of NIL Income | TaxAct

Scholarships & grants are tax-free only if the student is a degree-seeking candidate, attends a qualified educational institution, and the funds are used for qualified education expenses. Beware of freebies given by others besides the school. I believe 12.500 is the limit before one is accountable.
                Last edited by leo from jersey; 06-04-2024, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Mississippi State transfer guard Shakeel Moore has committed to Kansas, he tells @On3sports. The 6-1 senior averaged 7.9 PPG this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                    HMM...

@JonRothstein
                    Source: Florida State transfer Jamir Watkins is considering the following programs.
                    St. John's
                    Michigan
                    Florida State
                    Oregon
                    Kansas State
                    Cincinnati
                    Watkins wills stay at FSU

Comment

• Coleman Hawkins has finally committed to K-State. Pulled out of the NBA draft and then took a bunch of visits. Finally came back to Manhattan
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        Coleman Hawkins has finally committed to K-State. Pulled out of the NBA draft and then took a bunch of visits. Finally came back to Manhattan
                        Getting $2M apparently. Overrated.

Nonetheless, the [Big] 12 is going to be a monster.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Getting $2M apparently. Overrated.

Nonetheless, the [Big] 12 is going to be a monster.
                          It’s getting really hard for me, a huge fan since the back-to-back NCAA champions, to keep my same level of enthusiasm. If they’re getting paid, that’s the way of the world now, but honestly I’d rather not see the numbers. A young man with no intention of staying to graduate raking in $2mil for one season, it stinks.
                          Fire Scott Satterfield

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

It’s getting really hard for me, a huge fan since the back-to-back NCAA champions, to keep my same level of enthusiasm. If they’re getting paid, that’s the way of the world now, but honestly I’d rather not see the numbers. A young man with no intention of staying to graduate raking in $2mil for one season, it stinks.
                            I still root for the uniform. It helps although I get frustrated with a few wearing the uniform.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Part of the joy of watching collegiate sports was because the kids were learning the craft and playing in order to get better hoping to make it to the next level. But today selling ones services to the highest bidder diminishes the experience a bit. I'm a homer but I do still obtain some joy in our small market team upsetting the elites and blue bloods on occasion.

Comment

• I don't think this will shock a lot of people on here but according to stats from TP4PT cited by Paul Biancardi at ESPN, there are STILL 3055 players in the transfer portal from D1 and D2 ball. Roughly 2000 of those are D1 and they have no landing spot going into the season. That total number is 40.4% of the players that entered. Biancardi nailed it . The grass isn't always greener.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X