Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

No, but you get my point.
    Got your point. His dream job is North Carolina but would he leave for NC State, Duke, Wake? The Big 12 is by far the best basketball conference, will he be satisfied by competing at the highest levels in college basketball?

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Got your point. His dream job is North Carolina but would he leave for NC State, Duke, Wake? The Big 12 is by far the best basketball conference, will he be satisfied by competing at the highest levels in college basketball?
      I understand his desire to coach at his alma mater, just like Huggins did. Hopefully, we can establish ourselves as one of the frontrunners in the Big 12 before long, and our coaching job will be a prime job.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

From the article: Recruiting and stability moving into the Big XII.

Cunningham is obviously pretty confident in Wes being the right guy for the job.
        I wish I was pretty confident that Cunningham was the right guy for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
          I think so, if he can win. I know all coaches say the right "destination" things, but I think Wes truly means it. He would jump for North Carolina but Hubert is the same age and going to be there a long time. Leaving for NC State, Wake or Duke would be blasphemy, like selling your soul to the devil and I don't see him ever doing it just to get back to NC. That would be like Huggins taking the Xavier job.
          I really believe Wes and his staff are invested in Cincy and all in. Performance could change that or the fan base turning on him and chasing him away could also, but all things being equal, I honestly think he loves it there and would like to stay a long time.

Comment

FYI I live in NC and that is the scuttlebutt at this end.

Comment

Just a thought regarding JD and playing time.
              I think Wes is going out of his way to honor previous committments to upper classman recruited by previous coaches. Also keep in mind JD is a local kid and the right message needs to be sent. To some degree this is an investment in the future as prospective recruits appreciate it and have some comfort that they won't be recruited over every year and be buried as upper classman. Of course 5 or some 4 star recruits are the exception but 3-4 year guys need to know they will at least be in the rotation. Wes is clearly tougher on his own recruits, evident by freshman and transfer minutes of his own recruits. I think once the previous coaches guys rotate out, you will see a different philosophy going forward.

Comment

Been saying the same thing to myself but believe JD is playing out of position and is a liability on defense because of it. In turn putting pressure on lahkin and the rest of the team. Coach Wes will show more as a coach putting the best squad out there and not playing to senior liability.

Plus Dejulius needs the Tony Bobbitt treatment on some real spill, selfish on offense barely rebounds. On ball defense is good but he takes too long to heat up on offense

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post

I think so, if he can win. I know all coaches say the right "destination" things, but I think Wes truly means it. He would jump for North Carolina but Hubert is the same age and going to be there a long time. Leaving for NC State, Wake or Duke would be blasphemy, like selling your soul to the devil and I don't see him ever doing it just to get back to NC. That would be like Huggins taking the Xavier job.
                  I really believe Wes and his staff are invested in Cincy and all in. Performance could change that or the fan base turning on him and chasing him away could also, but all things being equal, I honestly think he loves it there and would like to stay a long time.
                  what about Tay Baker taking the X job?

Comment

Just a thought regarding JD and playing time.
                    I think Wes is going out of his way to honor previous committments to upper classman recruited by previous coaches. Also keep in mind JD is a local kid and the right message needs to be sent. To some degree this is an investment in the future as prospective recruits appreciate it and have some comfort that they won't be recruited over every year and be buried as upper classman. Of course 5 or some 4 star recruits are the exception but 3-4 year guys need to know they will at least be in the rotation. Wes is clearly tougher on his own recruits, evident by freshman and transfer minutes of his own recruits. I think once the previous coaches guys rotate out, you will see a different philosophy going forward.
                    I think CWM might be feeling some pressure from former players to start having the team play as a team and especially defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                      Wes looked sick as a dog in the halftime interview tonight . I wasn’t the only one who thought so either.
                      I noticed that also. My first impression was the look of being totally overwhelmed or very sick. Ironically it seems he does not really want to be interviewed at halftime as noticed in previous games, very much like Huggins was, in a disrespectful manner to the interviewer. For that reason I hope his mannerism was due to an illness, not disrespect.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

what about Tay Baker taking the X job?
                        You took the words right out of my mouth. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

You took the words right out of my mouth. LOL
                          All I can say there is that was a very very odd situation and whereas it didn't predate the rivalry it certainly predated the rabid level and hatred that exists today. Plus Bakers persona in general is very different from Wes and certainly Huggs. There is an exception to everything but I couldn't envision this happening today.

Comment

All I can say there is that was a very very odd situation and whereas it didn't predate the rivalry it certainly predated the rabid level and hatred that exists today. Plus Bakers persona in general is very different from Wes and certainly Huggs. There is an exception to everything but I couldn't envision this happening today.
                            Plus the comment was Huggins would never take the Xavier job, not that nobody has ever switched to a rival school.

Comment

Plus the comment was Huggins would never take the Xavier job, not that nobody has ever switched to a rival school.
                              we still hated the fact, but knew he needed a job. Tay was hard to hate as he won twice as much as he lost, but only 1 sweet 16.

Comment

You are correct. Those were much different times, times when we weren't even threatened by them.

It's kind of the opposite of how the Miami-UC FB rivalry has turned. That was always very intense, and now our fans show up like it is guaranteed victory day. If we fired one of our FB coaches and he went there to coach we would just respond, "meh".

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X