The Wes Miller Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post
    You are correct. Those were much different times, times when we weren't even threatened by them.

It's kind of the opposite of how the Miami-UC FB rivalry has turned. That was always very intense, and now our fans show up like it is guaranteed victory day. If we fired one of our FB coaches and he went there to coach we would just respond, "meh".
    The rivalry was huge when Baker coached. Yes he was 5-2, but many games were by a couple of points with only one blow out. UC crushed them when Baker coached X, but bearcatlett had some good teams.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post

All I can say there is that was a very very odd situation and whereas it didn't predate the rivalry it certainly predated the rabid level and hatred that exists today. Plus Bakers persona in general is very different from Wes and certainly Huggs. There is an exception to everything but I couldn't envision this happening today.
      You are wrong about how fans felt about one another. That hatred predates Tay Baker for sure. This rivalry has always been intense.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

You are wrong about how fans felt about one another. That hatred predates Tay Baker for sure. This rivalry has always been intense.
        Don't know about earlier, but I was at UC late 50's thru 1960 and it always felt it was just short of a religious war back then, one had the sense that neither side of Cinti Gardens could stand the other.

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post

Don't know about earlier, but I was at UC late 50's thru 1960 and it always felt it was just short of a religious war back then, one had the sense that neither side of Cinti Gardens could stand the other.
          ain't that the truth ---I remember the hatred and the embarrassment if UC lost. The city seemed to be smaller then and we had less on our minds and so the game was important. The papers played it up. Heck they even had the football rivalry too throwing on gas.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

ain't that the truth ---I remember the hatred and the embarrassment if UC lost. The city seemed to be smaller then and we had less on our minds and so the game was important. The papers played it up. Heck they even had the football rivalry too throwing on gas.
            Exactly right. Xavier was always the most important game on the schedule. If anything, there is a lot less emphasis in recent times.
            Last edited by Oldtimer_UC_fan; 12-16-2022, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I read the Xavier fan board & am always flummoxed by the hatred spewed by their moderator. The hypocrisy reeks- I remember in the 80’s my X acquaintances would complain UC used too many black players, then it was Prop 48, then transfer players, then thugs/criminals. X always followed suit so now it’s a matter of degree. One example- “ Yeah but he was only at X for 2 years & that happened after he was gone”.
              Whatever.

Comment

X has always covered up their problems. They have kept their dirty laundry in-house. If they do discipline a player, it is usually at the beginning of the next season during the cupcake portion of the schedule. They keep it out of the press and the problem dies without any life. It is to the point that I could care less and that is the same feeling I have about this game.

Comment

It’s amazing how much our program has declined. A few years ago we were the team to beat on our opponents schedule. Xavier has emerged in the last few years as the better program in this town. They are one of the best teams in the country. We have to beat these guys year in and out and re-establish our superiority. But we’re like the reds, in continuous rebuild. I’m encouraged by the level of recruits CWM is chasing, hoping we can get back our swagger at some point

Comment

I don't to allow this to become an Xavier bashing thread but only wish to say this, the cross town shootout has become a bigger game to them than it has to UC. The decline in the interest of this game for UC coincides with the so called continual rebuilding mentioned above. John Brannen's first year here was just collegiate sports second year of experiencing and navigating the transfer portal of players. Then the pandemic granted players a fifth year and then the unfortunate circumstances that led to JB's termination. CWM was handed a dumpster fire. If he continues to recruit and retain the type of recruits he has been getting so far our future is bright. Unfortunately we have to endure the product that remains from these previous years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                      I don't to allow this to become an Xavier bashing thread but only wish to say this, the cross town shootout has become a bigger game to them than it has to UC. The decline in the interest of this game for UC coincides with the so called continual rebuilding mentioned above. John Brannen's first year here was just collegiate sports second year of experiencing and navigating the transfer portal of players. Then the pandemic granted players a fifth year and then the unfortunate circumstances that led to JB's termination. CWM was handed a dumpster fire. If he continues to recruit and retain the type of recruits he has been getting so far our future is bright. Unfortunately we have to endure the product that remains from these previous years.
                      sadly the excuses from many as well for the lack of play right now. Surely some of these guys can be coached up right now.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

sadly the excuses from many as well for the lack of play right now. Surely some of these guys can be coached up right now.
                        No. I believe Wes is already getting the most out of every player on the roster, and more than Brannen could've coached them up.
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

No. I believe Wes is already getting the most out of every player on the roster, and more than Brannen could've coached them up.
                          mental and selfish mistakes can be coached

Comment

No I don't believe the selfishness can be coached "out" at this point. It's been almost a season and a half and still seeing the behavior tolerated and sometimes even encouraged. Coach is playing the hand dealt him until he can rotate the recruits that are all His.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                              No I don't believe the selfishness can be coached "out" at this point. It's been almost a season and a half and still seeing the behavior tolerated and sometimes even encouraged. Coach is playing the hand dealt him until he can rotate the recruits that are all His.
                              I agree but what I meant it should have been coached up before it got this out of hand. A first year coach could do it especially the winningest under 40.

Comment

I remember when Huggs first practice. Lou Banks said he didn’t feel good and didn’t want to practice. Coach told him to get dressed and be on the floor or clean out his locker.
                                That crap was tolerated by Yates and Badger. Huggs set the precedent for hard work and greatness. It works!!!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X