The Wes Miller Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBB View Post
    I remember when Huggs first practice. Lou Banks said he didn’t feel good and didn’t want to practice. Coach told him to get dressed and be on the floor or clean out his locker.
    That crap was tolerated by Yates and Badger. Huggs set the precedent for hard work and greatness. It works!!!
    Huggs also didn't let them dress in the varsity locker room and as we all know often told them that they had no earned the right to wear the UC gear.

Comment

The Huggs tough approach worked great 20 years ago. Sad to say it would not work today. Kids and circumstances have changed so much. Players would opt for the portal in a heartbeat or not sign up in the first place. We all grew up with different values and mindset than todays coddled players. They will only tolerate a certain amount of direction and certainly not the berating or embaressing antics of an emotional coach. Hate me if you want for saying it but you can't live in the past and although we didn't make todays rules, we do have to live by them.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
        The Huggs tough approach worked great 20 years ago. Sad to say it would not work today. Kids and circumstances have changed so much. Players would opt for the portal in a heartbeat or not sign up in the first place. We all grew up with different values and mindset than todays coddled players. They will only tolerate a certain amount of direction and certainly not the berating or embaressing antics of an emotional coach. Hate me if you want for saying it but you can't live in the past and although we didn't make todays rules, we do have to live by them.
        Zac Taylor isn't a hardass, he treats his players like big boys and most of the team is in there lifting 8am on victory Mondays.

Comment

I’m just saying discipline works. The successful coaches don’t care if they lose a player that can’t confirm to the their program. Look at what Bill Walton said about John Wooden and his discipline enforcement. The problem is you can’t have two sets of rules. If a player can’t accept what the coach demands, he needs to hit the portal. Can’t worry about those losses. Set the bar high and make everyone in the program reach for it in

Comment

Plus, All the players that played for Huggs, past and present loved that man

Comment

I agree the Hugg's approach worked great back then but wouldn't work for a large percentage of today's generation. I don't think Miler has to be Hugg's but discipline and managing to expectations is important. I don't know but I sense the halftime incident with Kmart was a little wake up call for Miller in a good way. I sense a positive change in his approach. He's still very supportive but he's getting on guys when necessary. I've heard him say in interviews recently he's not just asking anymore he's demanding. That's all I'm looking for. I also feel like we're getting back somewhat to blowing out teams we should rather making them nailbiters. I do believe the quality of recruits is going up and I'm excited about that. I know we've got a long way to go but I'm feeling better about the recent trend.

Comment

There has been several things stated here that are true. Discipline is definitely needed and should be demanded across the whole team, but today's AAU coddled prima Donna's will not conform to a regiment that is not what was promised and so will not hesitate to hit the portal. Someone above mentioned Zac Taylor. He changed the culture of the Bengals. He only wants players who love to play football, wants to be the best player possible, and wants to show other players how to play the game correctly, leaders. They want to improve and get better everyday. If a player refuses to play the way a coach is expecting, then he needs to be benched until he does conform. We have not seen that in the past with CWM. Apparently that's not his style of coaching. However, I did notice as we get closer to the conference schedule that CWM has been more animated and emotional. Perhaps things are beginning to click. I hope so. And I love Kmart. He's one of my all time fav's so this is no slam on him, but it should not have taken a halftime pep talk from him to open up the team's or the coaches eyes. We all have been seeing these discrepancies since the start of last season. I want to see more emotion out of this group of players, and I still don't know why Skillings got t'd up yesterday. I saw nothing wrong.
                Last edited by Rufus; 12-18-2022, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Y'all do realize Huggs hasn't changed and is still stern/assertive with his guys at WVU. No matter the time, there are lines in the sand and lines you don't cross. When Wes got here, he needed players to shoot thru their cold streaks until he gets more talent on the team
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                    Y'all do realize Huggs hasn't changed and is still stern/assertive with his guys at WVU. No matter the time, there are lines in the sand and lines you don't cross. When Wes got here, he needed players to shoot thru their cold streaks until he gets more talent on the team
                    I'm torn on Hugggins post UC. He hasn't changed much and he's a coaching dinosaur at this point to be honest despite all of his success. Not all of his players love him despite the fact that most of the former UC players do. He ran off Oscar Tschwiebe two year ago who was the NCAA POY last year for UK. I think it takes a certain type of player to play for Bob these days and most guys in this era don't fit in that box.

ANYWAYYYYYYY, back to Wes.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

From Justin Williams:

- Salary structure: https://twitter.com/Williams_Justin/...C4jYCpmMcsAAAA
                      - Buyout structure: https://twitter.com/Williams_Justin/...DUncDymMcsAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

He ran off Oscar Tschwiebe two year ago who was the NCAA POY last year for UK.
                        Ran off? That isn’t what happened…

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

Ran off? That isn’t what happened…
                          Huggs is no where near the emotional coach he was when he was our leader. Still if you can't take the tough love, you move on which is what Oscar needed to do. Call it what you want but Lobots post is accurate.

Comment

A different approach is definitely seen and needed with kids these days for a myriad of reasons. Huggins' approach will not work with a majority of these AAU bball kids. And this has been discussed ad nauseum even on this forum. But looking at things as they are I think CWM is doing the best He can with the players he has ( A) convinced to stay and (B) recruited. I'm especially impressed with the talent that this staff has recruited. The more He wins the more the UC brand will be front and center leading to more ranked recruits. I was a little dismayed at losing Collier but that's the way the ball bounces ( no pun intended ) Apparently He has some players presently that refuse to be coached up or at least are reluctant to break their bad habits. And are habits that were actually encouraged out of necessity last year. The last two ball games I think we have started seeing the potential of this group, let's hope they grow this chemistry and pull out a couple upsets. Go 'cats

Comment

I changed my mind
                              Last edited by leo from jersey; 12-23-2022, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Last edited by leo from jersey; 12-23-2022, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X