No announcement yet.

East Carolina 2/15 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terry Nelson put my thoughts on the radio. They didn't even try to go after rebounds. Mike Roberts need to earn his pay. teaching how to at least try Terry acknowledged the digression of Skillings this year (Reed is worse). Terry said he did nothing and should had done something with the minutes he was given. This is not on injuries as the Cats had command. They got lazy as usual and not from being tired. They didn't go after rebounds or defended in the first half. ECU was lousy in the first and the Cats had shots going in. Yeah your shot is off when you are tired, but these guys refused to run the court or get under the basket. Some scored 19 but gave up 29.

Comment

I would love to hear Terry Nelson's in-depth "off the record" opinion of what he sees. I appreciate that he has been as honest as he has given his role. Ex-Bearcat players have to be appalled at the effort they see out of these current players.

Miller needs to get pissed off in practice to avoid these pissed off post game moments. It is very troubling that Skillings and Reed are not progressing at all given the PT minutes that are available. I don't believe Miller is demanding or strict enough with his players to get consistency. He better recruit players going forward that have that competitive drive already because it appears he and his staff don't seem to be able to coach it.

Also as has been mentioned frequently on this forum he consistently gets out-coached in end of game situations.

Comment

PATHETIC ! EMBARASSING !

Lots of terms widely used to describe this TEAM... (PLAYERS/COACHES).....

Same old same old, nothing has changed the past 3yrs! And I do not count Brannen's first year... Anyone who inherits Cumberland, Williams, and Trey Scott is going to win 20 plus games!

So the question of the day? When does it end?????????

#1) When this team gets more talented players ? (James, Griffith, Thomas)

#2) Coaching Staff ? Do we need to make another change in the last 4yrs ?

Comment

I don't see it changing soon. The way He utilizes players is confusing. Ex. Hensley. Someone earlier surmised that he would probably hit the portal after seasons end. He, came specifically to play for CWM and has not been given near enough pt to actually see what he can do. He lingered on the bench with no pt whatsoever in the middle portion of this year's schedule. Was He hurt? No one ever said why he was riding the bench. Regardless, with Newman down you would think Hensley would of gotten more playing time.
          So, if the erratic distribution of playing time continues with the new commits for next year we will only see them for one year.

And finally, someone else said it earlier who ever it is working with the 4 & 5's Roberts ? needs to be let go. To not know how to rebound is one thing, if that's the problem. But to just stand there as a player and watch, is actually defiance! But, either way Heads need to roll!

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
            I don't see it changing soon. The way He utilizes players is confusing. Ex. Hensley. Someone earlier surmised that he would probably hit the portal after seasons end. He, came specifically to play for CWM and has not been given near enough pt to actually see what he can do. He lingered on the bench with no pt whatsoever in the middle portion of this year's schedule. Was He hurt? No one ever said why he was riding the bench. Regardless, with Newman down you would think Hensley would of gotten more playing time.
            So, if the erratic distribution of playing time continues with the new commits for next year we will only see them for one year.

And finally, someone else said it earlier who ever it is working with the 4 & 5's Roberts ? needs to be let go. To not know how to rebound is one thing, if that's the problem. But to just stand there as a player and watch, is actually defiance! But, either way Heads need to roll!

sadly Hensley was put in the game last night. he was a step slow and wild at the same time. He was yanked and never came back in. I wonder if Reed will go or will they sweeten his pot some. Right now we speak or tired players. Wait we have Reed, Hensley and Anthony all on scholarship I believe. They need to be coached up. Hensley can put a body on someone and all 3 have 5 fouls to give.

Comment

Terry Nelson - I know Chuck Machock was tight with Huggs and Mick. They are different than CWM and his good buddy Roberts. The thing is we know the look on your face last night. We know you love the cats. Help. Of course, one has to be welcomed. You know the problems. I believe speaking it on the air helps and helps a lot, but they need some bearcat toughness and not CWM cheap talk about it. I know you are busy, but someone needs to help out. Where is Eric Hicks.

Comment

First half looked great particularly from Davenport. We did some nice things on offense and controlled the game.

You could see the collapse coming a mile away when UC started missing shots and jacking up contested 3s early in the shot clock. And it wasn't just Davenport. Also, whatever pick and roll game we had going disappeared because Ezikpe and Oguama couldn't hold onto the ball in the second half. We cooled off at halftime entirely and blew a 16 pt lead at the 9:00 mark. Add in some homecooking from the stripes and you could tell where it was going to end up before the point where we went ice cold at the end of the game.

At some point in time you have to realize that your senior guard is getting abused by Felton trip after trip and try something different. The subsituttion patterns are based on analytics and that's Mike Roberts thing. If Roberts can't identify a better matchup and tell Wes to switch DDJ off Felton after 5 successful trips in a row, then I don't why we're doing the analytics thing. That's coaching and I'll pin that on both Wes and Mike.

Wes was apparently pissed in the postgame interview. I haven't been able to give it a listen yet. Did anyone have the intestinal fortitude to listen to it?
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  First half looked great particularly from Davenport. We did some nice things on offense and controlled the game.

You could see the collapse coming a mile away when UC started missing shots and jacking up contested 3s early in the shot clock. And it wasn't just Davenport. Also, whatever pick and roll game we had going disappeared because Ezikpe and Oguama couldn't hold onto the ball in the second half. We cooled off at halftime entirely and blew a 16 pt lead at the 9:00 mark. Add in some homecooking from the stripes and you could tell where it was going to end up before the point where we went ice cold at the end of the game.

At some point in time you have to realize that your senior guard is getting abused by Felton trip after trip and try something different. The subsituttion patterns are based on analytics and that's Mike Roberts thing. If Roberts can't identify a better matchup and tell Wes to switch DDJ off Felton after 5 successful trips in a row, then I don't why we're doing the analytics thing. That's coaching and I'll pin that on both Wes and Mike.

Wes was apparently pissed in the postgame interview. I haven't been able to give it a listen yet. Did anyone have the intestinal fortitude to listen to it?
                  I did and it was brief. He said he would talk tomorrow. Terry was pissed right afterwards and said some. JD scored 3 in the second half and gave up at least a dozen. Was it all his fault, no but you can't rest on one half and refuse to get into position under the basket to guard the rim.

Comment

Can someone post a link to the postgame interview?
                    Cory Huffman
                    Cin City

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                      Terry Nelson - I know Chuck Machock was tight with Huggs and Mick. They are different than CWM and his good buddy Roberts. The thing is we know the look on your face last night. We know you love the cats. Help. Of course, one has to be welcomed. You know the problems. I believe speaking it on the air helps and helps a lot, but they need some bearcat toughness and not CWM cheap talk about it. I know you are busy, but someone needs to help out. Where is Eric Hicks.
                      In how many games did we have a lead in the 2nd half and then lose? Houston @ Houston is understandable, but ECU anyplace - ugh!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Yeah, ECU was hunting for that matchup. This is the challenge with DDJ. He has many great qualities, and he is at least a willing defender, but we know bigger guards can back him down. UC really seemed bereft of ideas down the stretch besides “play harder.” They should have been able to do a little more over the last 9 minutes to avoid defeat.

Comment

• CWM likes tradition - speak up Mr. Big O. Speak up K-Mart.

Comment

• This is my observation. Nolley at times when He doesn't disappear seems to underestimate the opponents abilities, at least night, and decided that his full attention isn't needed. He was satisfied last night trying to make the spectacular pass especially in the first half when JD was hitting on everything he threw up. Unfortunately when JD and the others went cold Nolley's efforts were a day late and a dollar short in coming, and so he started to brick shots too. That is not playing hard to win. That is playing to amaze spectators. JD was guilty of the same thing earlier until CMW started using him as the sixth man. We have all witnessed this regression from several players even though the supposed mantra is to get better everyday. The season is over for all intents and purposes I think of I was Miller and as pissed as He should be I sit every one of the so called starters and start the others. Let them play out the rest of the schedule and then decide who wants to come back to play ball or who wants to entertain the crowd. We're going nowhere anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

Woods won’t have many minutes with James and Thomas coming in.
                              Davenport or Nolley could have a role next year but not both.
                              Oguama will see some time next year if he stays.
                              Phinisee won’t have much of a role if he returns.
                              Newman could fit on the roster next year, but that also depends on Davenport or Nolley.

if it were my team, I would keep Oguama and wish the rest well to move on. Also, assume none of underclassmen transfer. Next year the roster could look like:
                              James, Griffith - Fr
                              Skillings, Reed, Tolentino - So
                              Thomas, Lahkin - Jr
                              Oguama, Davenport/Nolley - Sr

Three scholarships to fill with transfers or late signings.
                              I'll just say this after having time to digest what I saw last night. Nobody on this roster should be guaranteed a spot on the team next year. Nobody. There are four games left and a conference tournament, we can find out in that span who deserves to be here next year. I'm rarely negative, but last night pushed me over the edge. This is Cincinnati Basketball, and last night nobody on the floor was worthy of that.

Comment

• Reed & Skilling’s lack of development is really concerning. Hensley, at the beginning of the year (yes, against lesser talent) looked like he had improved and then he can’t find the floor for whatever reason. Players regularly leaving 10-15 seconds on the shot clock when playing with a lead, I just
                                don’t understand. There’s just such a lack of discipline from Miller and it’s showing in the second half regularly.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X