Utah Valley, NIT 3/22 9:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gmann View Post
    We better get a rim protector other than Vik or we will get killed inside in the big 12 just like tonight.
    I like the strides Vik took this year and I hope he comes back next season. And I don't know if it was the ankle injury or something the last few games but he needs to be more physical and less finesse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
      A winnable game lost again to the same old habits that just can’t seem to be coached out of them.
      Hmmmmm....where have i heard that before????

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post

Hmmmmm....where have i heard that before????
        the big question is "will we hear it again".

Comment

• Originally posted by Cincatz13 View Post

I couldn't agree more. UC really botched this whole thing making the team be on the road. How do you expect to boost donors when you should have home games for post season, but instead send the team to NY and UT? Shame on UC and the athletic department for the mis-handling of all of this due to redoing a ******* floor in time for graduation. Unreal.
          I kind of thought this when I didn't have all the facts.

Right out of the gate, the athletic department did a bad job of explaining what was involved; it was just announced that a contracted company needed time to sand the floor. There were many more factors involved. The Shoe is not just used for basketball; there are the mentioned graduation activities, but also camps and other activities. They planned for a period of time to have the contractor perform the job, and that was adjusted to at least get one game in.

Finally, how many basketball programs plan their schedule with the NIT in mind? Some schools wouldn't even play in the NIT.

Let's give the department a break on this and get on with our lives.

Comment

• I know this is going to sound strange, but as bad as it seemed last night on the offensive end for UC, they actually hit more shots than UVU. Strange right? UC got killed at the free-throw line. Check out the stats: UC (hit 27 shots and 6 from three). UVU (hit 25 shots and 5 from 3). Here is where UC lost: UC (8-10 FT), UVU (19-29 FT). UC put UVU on the FT line 29 times. Bad defensive play sinks another ship for UC.

Another thing that I found strange last night is: what is it with Ezikpe and Miller? Every time Ezikpe came in the game last night, UC went on a scoring rally. After one of their scoring rallies in the second half that helped UC tie the score, Ezikpe DID NOT PLAY again all night. Davenport played 20 something minutes and did not score. He pulled down 5 rebounds but did not do much of anything else. He was invisible last night. Miller has problems reading the tea leaves. Ezikpe and Oguama seemed to give the team a chemistry that Lakhin and Oguama do not have.

With better awareness and defense, this is a game that UC could have won. UVU is a good team and are well coached. They have beat some pretty good teams on the season. The better team won the game.
            Last edited by leeraymond; 03-24-2023, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• I said in another post that Vik has not been right ever since his ankle injury. I recount at least 8-10 times he missed easy shots trying to finesse shots instead of just dunking during this season.

The affinity CMW has for JD given more playing time and the way players were rotated into games like a revolving door last year, as opposed to now then shutting physically able bodies down ( Hensley / Ezikpe ) and Reed to a certain extent using them sparingly when he has two injured players and one who's going to red shirt this year sitting on the bench is baffling.

​​​​
              Last edited by Rufus; 03-23-2023, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by leeraymond View Post
                I know this is going to sound strange, but as bad as it seemed last night on the offensive end for UC, they actually hit more shots than UVU. Strange right? UC got killed at the free-throw line. Check out the stats: UC (hit 27 shots and 6 from three). UVU (hit 25 shots and 5 from 3). Here is where UC lost: UC (8-10 FT), UVU (19-29 FT). UC put UVU on the FT line 29 times. Bad defensive play sinks another ship for UC.

Another thing that I found strange last night is: what is it with Ezikpe and Miller? Every time Ezikpe came in the game last night, UC went on a scoring rally. After one of their scoring rallies in the second half that helped UC tie the score, Ezikpe DID NOT PLAY again all night. Davenport played 20 something minutes and did not score. He pulled down 5 rebounds but did not do much of anything else. He was invisable last night. Miller has problems reading the tea leaves. Ezikpe and Oguama seemed to give the team a chemistry that Lakhin and Oguama do not have.

With better awareness and defense, this is a game that UC could have won. UVU is a good team and are well coached. They have beat some pretty good teams on the season. The better team won the game.
                That one senior was beaten inside all night especially when the scored was tied and then he gave up easy up close baskets for points 42, 44, 46 to UV. There went the Kaulu inspired run . Remember his teal and drive. The UV coach knew UC well. He schemed those fast breaks or should we call them Vanity Breaks as our guys watch instead of positioning for a rebound or defense. Skillings follows his shot as every 3rd grader is taught.

Comment

• Here's the box score if you care to see it. The amazing thing is we pulled down 18 offensive rebounds in that game. We also shot 34% from the field. Can't hit a shot, got our own, miss the next shot. Rinse, repeat.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401526921

Last edited by Lobot; 03-23-2023, 02:54 PM.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The strength of the B12 schedule will likely buffer any pressure on Wes, but to date, he hasn’t shown himself to be a
                    good X’s & O’s or capable defensive coach. The just plain strange disappearance of players when the game is working for certain players (Izikpe, Skillings) is fairly maddening. JD coming off the bench was gimmicky-at the end of the day, he isn’t very good and the amount he played and the way he was allowed to play hurt UC. Did Wes with any consistency beat anyone of note at UNCG? Not just a one victory over Illinois in two years type deal but did he beat higher ranked teams with at least some regularity? I honestly don’t know the answer. I do know he has zero NCAA wins in 10+ years as a HC, which is concerning. The way UC loses games they should win or are in a position to win is troubling-this year’s team had talent, enough to win 5 games more during the regular season and likely gain an at large berth in the actual tournament. We have all seen this game too many times this year and to close the year doing it yet again is nuts.

Comment

• Won 23 games this season which exceeded my expectations. Greatly improved compared to last season or the last 3 seasons. I expect continued improvement but we will have a more difficult schedule going forward. The program overall is heading in a positive direction. It remains to be seen if that continues, but I am optimistic.
                      ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

• Honestly believe CMW coddled the seniors (Davenport and others) and used them more than he should due to their last year. That team was in my opinion, nothing special. Trash honestly, a press would have created turnovers and we didn't need the best guards to do it. They had one real ball handler in Harmon. The athletic forward had no shot creating ability. The center was bailed out by lahkins foul trouble and was given way to much respect around the rim. Put a shoulder in his chest and wear the shot blocking ability out of him.

Too many missed opportunities to take control of the game rushing shot and mishandling possessions. Down by two Vik should have been in to slow down the offense, take higher percentage shots and wear down the shot blocking threat. They were frantic because they knew this was not the team to beat them and they gave it away.

Was not a good showing of CMW's coaching ability. Too many recognizable changes that were not made and a lack of ability to influence the team and take control of the tempo settling down the team. They were out hustled in the 1st half big time rebounds, defensive transition and loose balls. Was a bad lose to watch, especially when that team was giving the game away the best they could.

I look forward to his first real season without the haunting shadow of past players who quite frankly got the short end of the stick during their tenure. Believe we will see a more authentic style of coaching from CMW.

Comment

• I never played or coached basketball but have
                          watched forever. So I’m no expert but what is
                          CWM coaching tenets? What does he hang his
                          hat on ?
                          Defense is abominable, offense is hero ball.
                          Shoot a 3 as soon as you see the whites of their
                          eyes or go one on one to try & create a shot.
                          No ball movement, no inside-out, screening
                          ineffective if even existent.
                          I’m rooting but less than impressed so far.

Comment

• This has gotten off track. Can we move some of this stuff over to the Year in Review thread? Thanks.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X