No announcement yet.

2024/2025 Roster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we...stop attributing thoughts and motivations to players (our own or recruits?) I realize I am recently guilty of doing this myself, but was (trying) to be tongue-in-cheek. I cant presume to be in the heart and mind of another person, and I certainly don't know what any of their life or financial situations might be. Like it or not (I can't say I do, but this is the world as it exists), college athletics is a business. College coaches had free agency without consequences forever, now the players do as well. I don't think it is fair to presume that every decision is being made based on which program has the biggest bag to offer, but if I had been given these kind of fleeting physical abilities, maybe the smart thing IS to get what you can for that gift before it is gone. Regardless, if someone questions my character ("loyalty") without knowing me or my situation closely, we are going to have words. Taking shots on a message board doesn't even offer that opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Longtime Lurker View Post
      Can we...stop attributing thoughts and motivations to players (our own or recruits?) I realize I am recently guilty of doing this myself, but was (trying) to be tongue-in-cheek. I cant presume to be in the heart and mind of another person, and I certainly don't know what any of their life or financial situations might be. Like it or not (I can't say I do, but this is the world as it exists), college athletics is a business. College coaches had free agency without consequences forever, now the players do as well. I don't think it is fair to presume that every decision is being made based on which program has the biggest bag to offer, but if I had been given these kind of fleeting physical abilities, maybe the smart thing IS to get what you can for that gift before it is gone. Regardless, if someone questions my character ("loyalty") without knowing me or my situation closely, we are going to have words. Taking shots on a message board doesn't even offer that opportunity.
      One of the most sensible posts I have read. You should lurk less and post more.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Still plenty out there, but to your point maybe not many uncommitted starter-level centers left (also note that there have been multiple transfers who have committed to once school and flipped to another so you never really know...).

Good news is that Aziz should be back, so likely moot.
        Now if the coaching staff would teach Aziz a few reliable offensive moves (jump hook, drop step, finger roll, etc.), that may improve his chances of going pro. It would most definitely help UC win a few more games next season. Teach the guy some offensive moves for God's sake (something other than the ally-oop).

Comment

• Originally posted by leeraymond View Post

Now if the coaching staff would teach Aziz a few reliable offensive moves (jump hook, drop step, finger roll, etc.), that may improve his chances of going pro. It would most definitely help UC win a few more games next season. Teach the guy some offensive moves for God's sake (something other than the ally-oop).
          now that is a groovy observation.

Comment

• We are talking about bringing another big man into the program; Achor Achor for instance. I just looked up Tyler Mckinley's (incoming freshman) high school stats on the season (19.4 ppg; 9.5 rpp; shot 61.7%). This guy may be able to move into the starting lineup as a freshman. Maybe. Think Yancy Gates or Gary Clark. For those that have seen Mckinley play this season, is he capable of breaking into the starting lineup as a freshman? If he can, that solves that starting 4 problem.
            Last edited by leeraymond; 05-10-2024, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by leeraymond View Post
              We are talking about bringing another big man into the program; Achor Achor for instance. I just looked up Tyler Mckinley's (incoming freshman) high school stats on the season (19.4 ppg; 9.5 rpp; shot 61.7%). This guy may be able to move into the starting lineup as a freshman. Maybe. Think Yancy Gates or Gary Clark. For those that have seen Mckinley play this season, is he capable of breaking into the starting lineup as a freshman? If he can, that solves that starting 4 problem.
              I saw McKinley in Winton Woods' loss at Little Miami around midseason. The Panthers double- and triple-teamed him most of the night; first via man-to-man, then in a 3-2 yo-yo, a defense I hadn't seen in years. McKinley showed his ability to see the floor and find his teammates, who fired bricks for most of the game. Tyler finished with 12 & 7, but really had to work for them. He went 5-for-14 from the floor (1-for-2 from outside). In the third quarter, he slipped into the splits and appeared to pick up a groin strain, which affected his mobility.

McKinley is a very smart player and is a legitimate 6'9". The downside is that he'll be a freshman with a lot to learn, with the B12 gauntlet ahead. He has played with and against high-caliber talent while at Link Academy, which won the national HS tourney during his junior year. That year he was more a facilitator to his teammates (Ja'Kobe Walter, Elliot Cadeau, BJ Davis-Ray).

In that championship game, Link defeated AZ Compass, which was Rayvon Griffith's team. McKinley outplayed Rayvon that day, but they weren't really matched up. Tyler played mostly at the high post, while Rayvon hung around the perimeter.
              Last edited by swilsonsp4; 05-10-2024, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

I saw McKinley in Winton Woods' loss at Little Miami around midseason. The Panthers double- and triple-teamed him most of the night; first via man-to-man, then in a 3-2 yo-yo, a defense I hadn't seen in years. McKinley showed his ability to see the floor and find his teammates, who fired bricks for most of the game. Tyler finished with 12 & 7, but really had to work for them. He went 5-for-14 from the floor (1-for-2 from outside). In the third quarter, he slipped into the splits and appeared to pick up a groin strain, which affected his mobility.

McKinley is a very smart player and is a legitimate 6'9". The downside is that he'll be a freshman with a lot to learn, with the B12 gauntlet ahead. He has played with and against high-caliber talent while at Link Academy, which won the national HS tourney during his junior year. That year he was more a facilitator to his teammates (Ja'Kobe Walter, Elliot Cadeau, BJ Davis-Ray).

In that championship game, Link defeated AZ Compass, which was Rayvon Griffith's team. McKinley outplayed Rayvon that day, but they weren't really matched up. Tyler played mostly at the high post, while Rayvon hung around the perimeter.
                Tyler looked really good in that championship game.

Comment

• I'm ready to end the CJF speculation
                  https://twitter.com/GoBearcatsMBB/st...64549753737601

Comment

• BANG

1. Aziz Bandaogo, SR+
                    2. CJ Fredrick, SR+
                    3. Simas Lukosius, SR
                    4. Day Day Thomas, SR
                    5. Connor Hickman, SR (Bradley)
                    6. Dan Skillings, JR
                    7. Josh Reed, JR
                    8. Dillon Mitchell, JR (Texas)
                    9. Jizzle James, SO
                    10. Arrinten Page, SO (USC)
                    11. Rayvon Griffith, RS-FR
                    12. Tyler Betsey, FR
                    13. Tyler McKinley, FR

Comment

• Big pickup. I'm slotting Mitchell in as the starting 4. I think Jizzle, Skillings, Mitchell, and Aziz are clear starters. Hickman and Simas can battle it out for the final spot. Simas might get it as a second year Bearcat, but Hickman was a better all around player.

Comment

• A lot of depth with this roster. Who slots in as first off the bench when Aziz is out?
                        Fire Scott Satterfield

Comment

• Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

I too watched that championship game and was extremely impressed with McKinley's play. He moves, passes the ball, rebounds, and shoots. His decision making was thoughtful and under control. Truly a team person.

Comment

• My way too early minutes predictions would be something like:

Center: Aziz 22, Page 10, Mitchell 8
                            PF: Mitchell 12, Simas 20, Page 3, Reed 5
                            SF: Skillings 20, Reed 5, Simas 5, Griffith 10
                            SG: Hickman 20, Fredrick 15, Skillings 5
                            PG: Jizzle 22, Day Day 18

Both Tyler's redshirt.

Guys are going to have to compete to earn minutes and deserving players are going to be left out. Skillings and Aziz are the only two players I'm 100% sure will start. I have a feeling either Hickman or Fredrick is going to end up as a bench warmer. At PF I expect Mitchell or Simas to start, though Page is a dark horse to take the spot later in the season (he's the most complete player of the three, but also the youngest and most mistake prone). SF/SG will be the biggest competition, Skillings can start at either position, but Simas could start at the 3, Hickman or Fredrick at the 2, Reed/Griffith should get minutes and Jizzle/Day Day can play together too.

Comment

• Originally posted by zykarious View Post
                              My way too early minutes predictions would be something like:

Center: Aziz 22, Page 10, Mitchell 8
                              PF: Mitchell 12, Simas 20, Page 3, Reed 5
                              SF: Skillings 20, Reed 5, Simas 5, Griffith 10
                              SG: Hickman 20, Fredrick 15, Skillings 5
                              PG: Jizzle 22, Day Day 18

Both Tyler's redshirt.

Guys are going to have to compete to earn minutes and deserving players are going to be left out. Skillings and Aziz are the only two players I'm 100% sure will start. I have a feeling either Hickman or Fredrick is going to end up as a bench warmer. At PF I expect Mitchell or Simas to start, though Page is a dark horse to take the spot later in the season (he's the most complete player of the three, but also the youngest and most mistake prone). SF/SG will be the biggest competition, Skillings can start at either position, but Simas could start at the 3, Hickman or Fredrick at the 2, Reed/Griffith should get minutes and Jizzle/Day Day can play together too.
                              Are we really at the point that we can redshirt high 4 Stars? With the transfer portal, is that happening at a lot of other places?
                              Fire Scott Satterfield

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Are we really at the point that we can redshirt high 4 Stars? With the transfer portal, is that happening at a lot of other places?
                                Griffith redshirted last year as a four-star. Just saying its possible.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X