No announcement yet.

2024/2025 Roster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the way it is now, are players announcing their intention to stay? or do we just have to hope we don't hear they're entering the portal?

Comment

With a couple transfer guards having had contact/offers from Cincinnati, are we trying to add a 3rd guard or might DayDay be on the outs as Jizzle has shined.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
        With a couple transfer guards having had contact/offers from Cincinnati, are we trying to add a 3rd guard or might DayDay be on the outs as Jizzle has shined.
        Perhaps they want a ball handler or a shooter to replace CJ fredericks

Comment

I keep forgetting CJ is listed as a guard. I hope he gets better, but not seeing him much was easy to forget he is a 2.

Comment

I don't want Reynolds back, I don't think his lack of effort is fixable. I don't expect Vik to come back with how the season ended, I think he's capable of being a high end starter, but whatever got him benched didn't seem to get fixed, I don't see how you can take Fredrick back unless he's willing to be a walk-on.

I see only two clear starters next year: Jizzle and Skillings, everyone else could end up on the bench if we can bring in a high-end transfer at their position.

Aziz probably starts, but if you can get a big with offensive ability from the transfer portal, you take him in a heartbeat.

Simas and Day Day are in a similar position, do enough right to start, but not good enough that you start them over a top end guy at their position, if you can get one.

Reed will continue as a bench piece, but needs to improve his 3 point shooting or he's replaceable.

Sage I have no idea on, but if he's not going to be ready for minutes next year it's time to send him packing and find a young transfer center who is.

Comment

Originally posted by zykarious View Post
              I don't want Reynolds back, I don't think his lack of effort is fixable. I don't expect Vik to come back with how the season ended, I think he's capable of being a high end starter, but whatever got him benched didn't seem to get fixed, I don't see how you can take Fredrick back unless he's willing to be a walk-on.

I see only two clear starters next year: Jizzle and Skillings, everyone else could end up on the bench if we can bring in a high-end transfer at their position.

Aziz probably starts, but if you can get a big with offensive ability from the transfer portal, you take him in a heartbeat.

Simas and Day Day are in a similar position, do enough right to start, but not good enough that you start them over a top end guy at their position, if you can get one.

Reed will continue as a bench piece, but needs to improve his 3 point shooting or he's replaceable.

Sage I have no idea on, but if he's not going to be ready for minutes next year it's time to send him packing and find a young transfer center who is.
              Good thoughts except SL brings the most value of any player. He has BB smarts and he doesn't panic when the game gets tight. JJ and DS do. They are bulls in a china shop so to say. Sadly, they disappear or do uncalled for things at the end of the game. The reason UC lost is because the game is more than hitting a few shots especially when the majority come in the first half.

Comment

A note on Lukosius -- throughout the year, I believe it was said/thought/acknowledged that his 3-point shooting numbers were down from his time at Butler. And this caused some frustration due to his high volume/continual green light.

Well, after shooting 37.8% from three on 156 attempts last year at Butler, Lukosius finished the season at a career-best 38.5% on 234 attempts from three this year. This is following 29/64 (45.3%) on triples in six postseason games, including 19/37 (51.4%) in the three NIT games.

This is not remotely where Landers Nolley was shooting the year before (and the team, as a whole, had its worst 3-point percentage of the Wes Miller era), but I'd like to think Lukosius is primed for a good year in 2024-25.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                  A note on Lukosius -- throughout the year, I believe it was said/thought/acknowledged that his 3-point shooting numbers were down from his time at Butler. And this caused some frustration due to his high volume/continual green light.

Well, after shooting 37.8% from three on 156 attempts last year at Butler, Lukosius finished the season at a career-best 38.5% on 234 attempts from three this year. This is following 29/64 (45.3%) on triples in six postseason games, including 19/37 (51.4%) in the three NIT games.

This is not remotely where Landers Nolley was shooting the year before (and the team, as a whole, had its worst 3-point percentage of the Wes Miller era), but I'd like to think Lukosius is primed for a good year in 2024-25.
                  Simas needs to clean-up the other parts of his game if he wants to be a high end starter. Most of his TO's are just careless mistakes and he averages too many of them. He needs to work on his ball handling overall if he wants to be more than a shooter. He also needs to get consistent at bringing energy on every defensive possession and rebound. He's improved quite a bit on that since early in the year, but last night ISU got at least one offensive rebound because Simas simply didn't box his man out.

I think most likely starts next year, but he's not an elite talent, it's possible we'll recruit over him. Worst case he's a 20-25 minute per game guy off them bench, which wouldn't be a bad role for him either.

Comment

Simas needs to clean-up the other parts of his game if he wants to be a high end starter. Most of his TO's are just careless mistakes and he averages too many of them. He needs to work on his ball handling overall if he wants to be more than a shooter. He also needs to get consistent at bringing energy on every defensive possession and rebound. He's improved quite a bit on that since early in the year, but last night ISU got at least one offensive rebound because Simas simply didn't box his man out.

I think most likely starts next year, but he's not an elite talent, it's possible we'll recruit over him. Worst case he's a 20-25 minute per game guy off them bench, which wouldn't be a bad role for him either.
                    I called him out on the thread for not boxing out. He is what we have and the one with BB smarts. Who else is there to put up the last shot? Surely not the deer in the headlights JJ or DS. JJ has a chance being a frosh, but his game as been hard charging with high risk high reward and he only wants the reward and is timid at the end (foolish too). DS is DS. CWM needs to teach team. Good points overall and good grasp of the play on the court.

Comment

I don't think Simas needs to be more than a shooter if we can get production out of the other wing spot. Having a guy who can move off ball and make threes off the catch is extremely valuable. Our problem is that Jizzle and Skillings are the only guys who consistently produce with the ball in their hands. Newman on the wing and Aziz inside were offensive black holes this year. If everyone returns we might be ok with CJ at the 2 with Jizzle also getting some time there. But if a spot opens up, the first thing I'm looking for is a high usage wing who can score.

Comment

One thing to say about Simas (and I will admit that he frustrated me a lot this year, especially with his tendency to drive the lane, pass up a bunny, and try to pass from 2 feet away to our bigs who were clearly setting up to rebound his shot, leading to turnovers or awkward misses from the bigs)-but he got a LOT better towards the end of the season/conference tourney/NIT. I keep forgetting that the man GOT HIT BY A CAR this season-I have a feeling his shot (at least) was more affected by this than we think since he didn't miss much time. I happened to be walking near campus after it happened and saw the car, which had some real damage, so i suspect it was a pretty significant collision. Am hoping to see more strides from him with a full year in the program and good health.

For DS, my hope is that he stays. And keeps hitting the monster factory-he is still young in terms of basketball experience, and has all the physical tools in terms of length, strength, and bounce. And works on at least one other move besides the spin that he busts out more than any player I have ever seen-you can literally see defenses anticipating the spin at this point.

Comment

My take on next year's roster:

-Incoming Freshmen (3): Rayvon (RS), Betsy, McKinley

-Key Players who I 100% want back (5): Day Day, Jizzle, Simas, Skillings, Aziz

-Role Players who I'm 50/50 on staying/going (4): Fredrick, Reynolds, Reed, Vik

-Don't care (1): Sage

Comment

Originally posted by sedz View Post
                            I don't think Simas needs to be more than a shooter if we can get production out of the other wing spot. Having a guy who can move off ball and make threes off the catch is extremely valuable. Our problem is that Jizzle and Skillings are the only guys who consistently produce with the ball in their hands. Newman on the wing and Aziz inside were offensive black holes this year. If everyone returns we might be ok with CJ at the 2 with Jizzle also getting some time there. But if a spot opens up, the first thing I'm looking for is a high usage wing who can score.
                            How can we possibly count on CJ?

Comment

Originally posted by sedz View Post
                              Don't be surprised if Tyler Betsey starts next year.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Don't be surprised if Tyler Betsey starts next year.
                                Given how Wes let Skillings and Jizzle grow slowly over each player's freshman season, I will be surprised simply because Wes doesn't do that.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X