No announcement yet.

Texas 1/9 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's just a good feeling for the first time in years to go into a top-25 level game with a genuine feeling that we can win, to get an exciting game that we legitmately could've/should've won, to see 5/3 electric again...i think it is the unfamiliar feeling that bearcat basketball might be fun again? I liked Mick...but even at his best, those games were rarely a joyride. when this team is playing well (and i really believe they have a higher ceiling with a hopefully stable lineup), it is fun at a level we haven't seen for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
      It was interesting listening to the post game discussion between CWM and Terry. Terry asked hard questions. I could see that Terry respected CWM's position and CWM was cool cause Terry is a Bearcat legend. Terry gave the Coach the last word, but Terry was as CWM says "pissed" especially about guarding the hot handed scorer.

yes in his presser He stated he didn't want to hear about thee missed free throws but did mention the turnovers and the missed lay-ups by Thomas. Sounds like Thomas is the better defender of the two guards. These unforced turnovers are going to be our downfall.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmoney70 View Post
        The more I read these threads, the more I think nobody short of a 30 year old Huggins will satisfy some folks. You can't change coaches every 3 years and expect to ever be good. This team is playing better each game but the competition is also getting better each game. They are headed in the right direction and every loss can't just be "This was Wes' fault". They are coming along and his recruiting is getting better every year. Enjoy the ride.
        I look at it this way, are we better now than when Wes got the job? Yes we are, far far better. Watching Vic then you’d never guess he’s the same player now, same for John Newman. And next year, with Rayvon playing, three top 100 players will join the roster. CWM is doing a **** of a job.

Comment

The more I read these threads, the more I think nobody short of a 30 year old Huggins will satisfy some folks. You can't change coaches every 3 years and expect to ever be good. This team is playing better each game but the competition is also getting better each game. They are headed in the right direction and every loss can't just be "This was Wes' fault". They are coming along and his recruiting is getting better every year. Enjoy the ride.
          Spot on and welcome back.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The thing that concerns me now is this. In our scouting reports it is the normal M.O. for Newman / Reed to take the defense of the opponents leading scorer. But in these past contests a player emerges out of nowhere that becomes hot and shoots lights out against us. Olivari for
            X, Holmes for Dayton, Blackman for Stetson, Knell for BYU and then Disu for Texas. Are they seeing something
            on film that they are attacking us with, are they spotting some weakness in the defense, or do we need more guys to embrace defense, it surely can't just be a coincident that 4 out the last five opponents have a player not normally known for carrying their team suddenly have career highs in points.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
              The thing that concerns me now is this. In our scouting reports it is the normal M.O. for Newman / Reed to take the defense of the opponents leading scorer. But in these past contests a player emerges out of nowhere that becomes hot and shoots lights out against us. Olivari for
              X, Holmes for Dayton, Blackman for Stetson, Knell for BYU and then Disu for Texas. Are they seeing something
              on film that they are attacking us with, are they spotting some weakness in the defense, or do we need more guys to embrace defense, it surely can't just be a coincident that 4 out the last five opponents have a player not normally known for carrying their team suddenly have career highs in points.
              I am with you Rufus. Coach Miller has this team playing some good basketball right now. However, there are things about his coaching that I find puzzling. For one, why is it that Miller does not play the match-ups? Olivari ran crazy on UC because Miller did not match Newman up on him until he hit for 23. Once Newman was on him, Olivari did not make another field goal. Secondly, why has Miller reduced Oguama's minutes so much? Oguama only played 2 minutes in the Texas game. Oguama is UC's best big man defender. Oguama is about 6'7'' / 6'8''. He would have been a GREAT match for Disu. Oguama would have been a good match-up for Holmes (Dayton). Miller had Skillings on Disu when he hit that crucial shot that reduced UC's lead to 73-72. Why? Why NOT play Oguama on him? Like I said before, Miller is doing a good job with this team right now. However, he makes some odd choices during live game action that sometimes put the team at a disadvantage with the match-ups.

One last comment. I do not want to ramble. Every lost that UC has, Aziz started the game. Oguama has started 6 games and Reynolds has started 1 game (I think). UC has won all those games. I truly like Aziz (he is the team's best rebounder). However, he CANNOT defend AWAY from the rim. Aziz was embarrassed in the Dayton game. He has all types of problems defending away from the rim. You would think that the coaching staff would understand that. Maybe they don't.
              Last edited by leeraymond; 01-11-2024, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• These last two posts are important to me as Miller is clearly doing a number of things very well-namely recruiting and developing an offense. I’ve seen much more movement, some better passing and the development of some newer players. AND…..a penchant for odd substitutions/defensive assignments. It’s not unreasonable to want improvement there.
                I am really impressed by the talent that’s been assembled this season, probably most worried about the PG position & defensive scheme. I’m loving the B12 experience so far though.

Comment

The thing that concerns me now is this. In our scouting reports it is the normal M.O. for Newman / Reed to take the defense of the opponents leading scorer. But in these past contests a player emerges out of nowhere that becomes hot and shoots lights out against us. Olivari for
                  I'm sure the staff knew of all of these players. Holmes is UD's best player; Blackman is the same for Stetson. Disu, who has missed time this year, was the B12 conference tourney MVP last season. He took a shot at the NBA draft but decided to return.

Comment

• I'm sure the staff knew about these guys. But I find it too much of a coincident that at the time of the contests with these teams their leading scorers at that time are out and the guys mentioned above "get healthy" and drops 30+ points against us. I'm just envious because we haven't got "that" guy on the roster.

Comment

yes in his presser He stated he didn't want to hear about thee missed free throws but did mention the turnovers and the missed lay-ups by Thomas. Sounds like Thomas is the better defender of the two guards. These unforced turnovers are going to be our downfall.
                      In all three of our losses, the difference in the opponents free throws and ours was the difference in the games.

Comment

Well said. I myself have been puzzled at times with some of Wes's moves, but there's no denying he's got the program moving in the right direction, and I hope we can hang on to him for a while.

I will "enjoy the ride" as you say, knowing fully that there will continue to be some bumps along the way. This is, after all, Big XII basketball. While the days of UC completely dominating a conference are all but over, it's important to keep in mind the wise words of one Martha Stewart: "It's a good thing."

Comment

• Did you just quote Martha Stewart? lol

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                            Did you just quote Martha Stewart? lol
                            For shizzle
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse