No announcement yet.

More Big Ten movement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this is all about football money, and the ACC gets raided and goes the way of the Big East, which schools are viable to be stolen (for football)? Okay, this is with the assumption that four conferences remain as football powerhouses (BIG, Big12, PAC, SEC)
    Clemson - Probably
    Duke - No for football
    Maryland (gone - one of original 7 charter schools)
    North Carolina - maybe? Rumor is they are a package deal with Duke.
    North Carolina State - maybe?
    South Carolina - probably?
    Wake Forest - maybe?
    Georgia Tech - Yes
    Miami - Yes
    Virginia tech - Yes
    Boston College - Probably (history and TV)
    Pittsburgh - Yes (history)
    Syracuse - Yes (history and TV)
    Louisville - probably?
    My guess is that UC is more attractive to the Big 12 than at least a third of these schools (I use the Big 12 here because I do not think that UC is attractive to the SEC, BIG, or the PAC). That being said, where do those 6-8 teams end up at within the big 4 and will there still be room in one of the big 4 conferences for UC after that massive raid? These teams will be looking out for themselves when they start seeing water in their sinking ship. The alternative is that the Big12 gets raided and the ACC stays floating.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
      it's interesting to see kansas mentioned by a nebraska website. i think wishful thinking to renew their rivalry.
      One of the reasons the Big ten added Maryland/Rutgers was to give Penn State an eastern partner, so they very well could add KU to give Nebraska a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
        One of the reasons the Big ten added Maryland/Rutgers was to give Penn State an eastern partner, so they very well could add KU to give Nebraska a friend.
        They grabbed Maryland/Rutgers to grab more/larger markets. I don't think they were that concerned about getting Penn State an eastern partner. They saw untapped markets for their Network and grabbed them. 10 years ago it would have been for regional partners - that's not the name of the game anymore. This is why UVA, GTech, and some Florida teams have been mentioned as possible expansion targets in the Big 10's future...new markets for their product. Now they do supposedly pay attention to where their alums live, or at least they say this during their expansion press conferences, but their network's markets are their major focus. It's a business more so than an athletic conference now.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatd View Post
          They grabbed Maryland/Rutgers to grab more/larger markets. I don't think they were that concerned about getting Penn State an eastern partner. They saw untapped markets for their Network and grabbed them. 10 years ago it would have been for regional partners - that's not the name of the game anymore. This is why UVA, GTech, and some Florida teams have been mentioned as possible expansion targets in the Big 10's future...new markets for their product. Now they do supposedly pay attention to where their alums live, or at least they say this during their expansion press conferences, but their network's markets are their major focus. It's a business more so than an athletic conference now.
          Finding Penn State an eastern partner was one of the factors, but not the primary one or two. It was probably down the list around 4 or 5. As you stated, it's all about TV markets and eyeballs first.
          RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
          CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

As I understand cable networks, they make $ based on households with the service. It has very little to do with viewership. The B1G wanted to ensure the B1G Network was being offered in the NYC and Washington DC/Baltimore markets

Comment

The Big 10 has nothing in the Carolinas. UNC and Duke absolutely deliver, at a minimum, the entire state of NC. These fans are rabid down here (I currently live in Charlotte). A UNC/Duke deal would not surprise me at all. Long shot, maybe, but they would at least have to think about it if Big 10 come calling.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...-for-b1g-money

"But the Big Ten eventually will become a 16-team league, and odds are the additional schools will come from the ACC. If you want to speculate about the Big Ten's next expansion targets, look at big markets with good recruits and lots of Big Ten alumni."

It may be in a while but the question should not be if the ACC will be raided but rather when will it be raided? It would look like the ESPN would like to see the ACC fall now. _ edit: Actually, ESPN has the most to lose if the ACC is raided (see next link).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...offerings-next
                Will Football Realignment Destroy ESPN's Sports Offerings Next? Says that if the BIG does not move by early February, then there will be quiet until summer. But it does identify several schools in the ACC which will be or have been invited.
                Last edited by bearcatbret; 01-27-2013, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat25 View Post
                  The Big 10 has nothing in the Carolinas. UNC and Duke absolutely deliver, at a minimum, the entire state of NC. These fans are rabid down here (I currently live in Charlotte). A UNC/Duke deal would not surprise me at all. Long shot, maybe, but they would at least have to think about it if Big 10 come calling.
                  Since football is the driving force in the conference re-alignment, what does Duke bring to the table?

Maybe Lacrosse will woo the Big 10.

If I am Duke, I am worried about the ACC being raided. They may be left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Otto View Post
                    Since football is the driving force in the conference re-alignment, what does Duke bring to the table?

Maybe Lacrosse will woo the Big 10.

If I am Duke, I am worried about the ACC being raided. They may be left behind.
                    What does Maryland bring to the table?

It's about the TV money and delivering the Carolinas (Raleigh, Charlotte, and the rest of the entire state). I'm just saying it's a possibility.

Comment

They don't need both Duke and UNC to bring the cable boxes to them.

That is why Duke might be left out.

Comment

UC has to get off this train....

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...hool-keep-name

Comment

They don't need both Duke and UNC to bring the cable boxes to them.

That is why Duke might be left out.
                          Except the fact that you aren't getting UNC without Duke.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret;219913[url
                            http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1454770-will-the-football-realignment-nuke-espns-sports-offerings-next[/url]
                            Will Football Realignment Destroy ESPN's Sports Offerings Next? Says that if the BIG does not move by early February, then there will be quiet until summer. But it does identify several schools in the ACC which will be or have been invited.
                            My favorite line: "To any fan sick of ESPN's alleged conference meddling, this whole story is incredibly juicy."
                            RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
                            CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat25 View Post
                              Except the fact that you aren't getting UNC without Duke.
                              I disagree.

If a conference sees a way to improve their opportunity to make more money by adding one team and that team is UNC. Then Duke will be left behind.

I agree it may be unlikely. But in today's money grab conference shuffle, it could very well happen.

Comment

I disagree.

If a conference sees a way to improve their opportunity to make more money by adding one team and that team is UNC. Then Duke will be left behind.

I agree it may be unlikely. But in today's money grab conference shuffle, it could very well happen.
                                I just don't see that happening. I've been surprised before, but those two schools are joined at the hip. I can see NC State breaking away from the group, but not UNC/Duke.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X