No announcement yet.

Big 12 talk is back thanks to Texas.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT things: Bill Powers got a vote of confidence from the Regents. Unexpected, this is. He will be meeting with Mack Brown "in the next short period of time" ??
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I've started to think the ACC is still possible (Not probably, but it is still on the table IMO). There is lots of smoke about them trying to start up their own network. If that were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if they added UC to get into the Ohio markets to add a major slice of revenue, one they probably don't get without Ohio being added. That is by far the best market out there that they are not already in that is part of their existing footprint.

So I could see them adding UC and possibly UConn. That gets them to 16 or 17 schools (With ND not being in the mix in football).
      -------------------
      Writer - FantasySharks.com

Comment

• Doesn't appear likely but I'm all in if it were to happen. MUUUCH better than other scenarios we have been discussing. Our market is our best selling point, both from the TV value and the recruiting access. If we can determine that this is a possibility, I would roll the dice and wait rather than jump at a BIG12 risk. Those conferences are headed in opposite directions and it sure would be nice for us to be able to get involved in a proactive, vibrant conference rather than chase the history of a conference on the decline.

Comment

• Get your popcorn ready... Powers, Dodds, Mack are all in the dias schedule tonight on for the Texas football banquet. Live on LHN.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• OK for those who missed the drama, Here's what happened at the Texas Banquet.

Power, Patterson (new AD) and Mack all spoke at the banquet. It had all the makings of a eulogy until..During the Middle of the banquet, Nick Saban's agents leaks the fact that Saban has agreed to a contract extension with Bama to Kirk Herbstreit which is then corroborated by Cecil Hurt, reporter. Twitter explodes. Everyone at the banquet knew Texas had just been used and trolled by Saban's agent Jimmy Sexton.

Mack then spoke about the bowl game and next year. He is remaining as coach for now.

Now to me, this doesn't mean the Saban to Texas crowd was wrong, it means to me that Texas had a shot at Saban and fumbled the contract.

In any case for us it means the merry go round goes on for another year and the musical chairs have stopped, depending on what Patterson's opinion of expansion and LHN are.

Saban is now up to 7M/yr.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• And Mack Brown resigns... I give up.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/college-football/...exas-longhorns

Comment

• Here is another interesting take. I certainly don't agree with the all the scenarios listed here, but it does appear that if any more expansion takes place, we are first in line. Just how much would a Big 12 championship game be worth?

http://conferenceexpansion.com/author/kclifton/
                  Last edited by longtimefan; 12-15-2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• More than an AAC championship game.
                    In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                    Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

• Good points Bearcattitude92. I could not say it any better. Texas is in it all for herself period. They will do what best helps Texas. They will not allow Cincinnati in the Big 12 if it affects their take home dollars from the TV deal. So UC would have to add to that ESPN amount.

Comment

• If the only way Texas has a shot at a playoff spot is to win a conference championship game, and the NCAA says the only way to have a conference championship game is to have twelve teams then I'm darn sure Cincinnati will look mighty pretty to Texas in that scenario because the money will dry up if there is nothing to play for.
                        In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                        Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

• Originally posted by cmm27 View Post
                          If the only way Texas has a shot at a playoff spot is to win a conference championship game, and the NCAA says the only way to have a conference championship game is to have twelve teams then I'm darn sure Cincinnati will look mighty pretty to Texas in that scenario because the money will dry up if there is nothing to play for.
                          I hope you didn't mean Cincinnati looks good to add because we won't beat Texas or stand in their way at a shot for that Championship money -

The Big 12 has the least history as a conference than any of the Power Five conferences; however, it has some of the best and longest history in terms of programs. By combining the Southwest Conference and the Big 8, you had both a top-5 program in football (Oklahoma) and top-5 program in basketball (Kansas) even though both were originally in the Big 8, adding the Texas schools made the conference highly competitive and, more importantly, a sought after tv commodity. The defections of Nebraska and Missouri go to show that this was a lower tier conference in terms of money to the Top Two (the B1G and SEC). The failed attempts of the PAC-10/12 to lure Texas and Oklahoma away is what will keep this conference alive. Other than the SEC, the top of the Big 12 compares favorably with the B1G and beats out ACC or PAC-10/12.

I see one of two scenarios playing out, both favorably for UC.

1. The NCAA caves on student stipends and doesn't dissolve or get broken up by the Power Five. In this scenario, the Big 12 needs teams to have a conference championship. UC is easily in the top two to be added to the Big 12 and there will be stability in this format for all teams get same or more money in the Big 12 with added revenue from new tv territory and championship game.

2. The NCAA doesn't cave on the stipends. Schools start departing and there isn't honor among thieves as the conferences break-up (sorta). Many old alliances remain intact, but the Power Five will become a Power Four, each with 16 teams. There will be some surprises in this scenario and the four will essentially be a West, Midwest, Southeast, and East with more than likely 40-45 teams east of the Mississippi. Cincinnati will be a target for both the East (old ACC) and Southeast (old SEC) as both try to get in the backyard of O$U and fertile recruiting.

I don't believe this scenario ever plays out after the stipend issue is decided. If the NCAA caves, then the Power Five will make nearly any change they want and run roughshod over the rest will be brow-beaten. This gives long-term stability to UC in a Power Five. If the NCAA break over stipends comes about, conferences will dissolve and reform, thus penalty payouts for leaving a conference will be null and void. In this case I can see teams like Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Duke sitting on the edge of their seats as football will be king in deciding the future wealth.
                          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• ESPN reporting that Charlie Strong is the new coach at Texas.

Comment

• Is Texas and Oklahoma to the PAC 12 dead? Does anyone know that? If those two move, obviously, it opens the door for us to the Big 12. I'm hoping for this scenario. Or if the Big 10 wants to expand at Florida State or Clemson or both. Then we have options with the ACC. Despite the 50 million buyout, I still think that this can happen. IF FSU and Clemson decide that the 50 million buyout is negated by a large TV contract and revenue with the Big 10 Network over time, then it's all possible. If that network can bring FSU and Clemson dollars to off set 50 million, it could work out. I know the Big 10 is not done. I'm not sure they are all thrilled with the Maryland/Rutgers group either. Both are floundering in all sports except women's basketball. It gives them TV revenue or positioning, but that's it. Neither school is breaking ground anywhere. Also, none of us should discount the impact Mick Cronin is having here. He may very well be vaulting UC into the big time with his dynamic ranked team. This could pay dividends for UC. This UC basketball team is only going to get better. Look at the incoming and add Deshayn Moorman.
                              Last edited by vince8290; 02-16-2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by vince8290 View Post
                                Is Texas and Oklahoma to the PAC 12 dead? Does anyone know that? If those two move, obviously, it opens the door for us to the Big 12. I'm hoping for this scenario. Or if the Big 10 wants to expand at Florida State or Clemson or both. Then we have options with the ACC. Despite the 50 million buyout, I still think that this can happen. IF FSU and Clemson decide that the 50 million buyout is negated by a large TV contract and revenue with the Big 10 Network over time, then it's all possible. If that network can bring FSU and Clemson dollars to off set 50 million, it could work out. I know the Big 10 is not done. I'm not sure they are all thrilled with the Maryland/Rutgers group either. Both are floundering in all sports except women's basketball. It gives them TV revenue or positioning, but that's it. Neither school is breaking ground anywhere. Also, none of us should discount the impact Mick Cronin is having here. He may very well be vaulting UC into the big time with his dynamic ranked team. This could pay dividends for UC. This UC basketball team is only going to get better. Look at the incoming and add Deshayn Moorman.
                                Don't forget Strickland, Mick believes he's a scoring big man
                                L

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X