Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...132435050.html

If they add teams it will not be 4. They don't want to split the pot that many ways. They don't even want to split it 12 ways but if there was some kind of agreement where the new teams get less at first then maybe they would look at it. I won't get excited until major sports sites like ESPN starts reporting it.
    Suggested Twitter follow for this stuff is FS Southwest reporter David Ubben. @davidubben . FS SW has the 2nd tier rights and runs the Big 12 weekly roundup shows. Although I guarantee you won't agree with him a lot of the time.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• As i understand it, it's not a question of splitting the same pot with added teams. There is incentive from the tv guys to enlarge the print so as to sweeten the pot, and not cause dilution. This can also be accomplished with adding sponsors who will bring more $'s to the tv pot. We'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post
        As i understand it, it's not a question of splitting the same pot with added teams. There is incentive from the tv guys to enlarge the print so as to sweeten the pot, and not cause dilution. This can also be accomplished with adding sponsors who will bring more $'s to the tv pot. We'll see.

It is all about splitting the pie. That is why the BIG 12 wants to stay at 10 and get an exemption for the championship game. The BIG 12 and their TV partners would be willing to tear up the old contract in a second if adding teams would increase the payout proportionately. They would add ten teams if the TV contract would then be worth double what it is now.

Comment

• That's what i'm saying. The question is if the pie can be enlarged to make it a win/win for all. Standard tv rating dollars will not likely do it for us, but if we can bring added sponsors, then it gets interesting.

Comment

That's what i'm saying. The question is if the pie can be enlarged to make it a win/win for all. Standard tv rating dollars will not likely do it for us, but if we can bring added sponsors, then it gets interesting.

I guess what I was trying to say is if they thought 2 teams could be added now and that it would bring the revenue or sponsors to keep the share the same or even add to it then they would have done it already. Instead of fighting for this exemption or keep tooting their horn about "one true champion", it would be easier to just add teams if it was worth it.

Comment

• Here is another take on why the Big 12 should expand. I am not sure how strong his argument really is, but I do agree that the Big 12 may still have some rough sailing ahead.

http://www.bcsnn.com/big-xii/777-the...he-charge.html

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                Here is another take on why the Big 12 should expand. I am not sure how strong his argument really is, but I do agree that the Big 12 may still have some rough sailing ahead.

http://www.bcsnn.com/big-xii/777-the...he-charge.html
                This post seems to think money won't be an issue as long as the added teams are in the eastern time zone because FoxSports only has WVU in a conference contract in this time zone.

I also like his argument of expand or face continued poaching and had forgotten that Colorado left the Big 12 for Pac Ten. The ACC is the only power conference that hasn't raided the Big 12. At 10 teams, they don't supply enough games for FoxSports to fully utilize programming.

On the other hand, he likened the Big 12 to the Big East about waiting to long to expand. I disagree, the Big East simply didn't commit to football and was too big for all other sports.

The silence of waiting is all we have. It's pretty much a consensus outside of UT Austin and their Bowlsby puppet that the Big 12 should expand for a multitude of reasons. Good luck convincing the stubborn horns they may have made a miscalculation.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Stewart Mandel at Fox wrote this today. Appears that Texas is the school in the big 12 that didn't improve when realignment happened. Based on its stature, it probably should have.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...t-chaos-061115
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                    Stewart Mandel at Fox wrote this today. Appears that Texas is the school in the big 12 that didn't improve when realignment happened. Based on its stature, it probably should have.
                    Charlie Strong is a heckuva coach, but it's not a given that he can make Texas a national power again. With in state SEC member Texas A&M regularly taking their recruits, and the emergence of in state schools like TCU and Baylor, Strong has a much more challenging landscape to deal with than previous head coaches at Texas.
                    If Strong is there 5 or 6 years and fails to restore the Longhorns to national prominence, you do have to wonder about the Big12's ability to remain a Power Conference without a dominant Texas program. I think the Big12 could become another Big East in that scenario.

Comment

• If it takes him 5 or 6 years, he won't be there that long. Trust me.

Comment

If it takes him 5 or 6 years, he won't be there that long. Trust me.
                        OK agreed. But he's gonna get time to turn it around cause Mack Brown left a mess.
                        Either way, the point is the Big 12 needs a dominant Texas and/or Oklahoma program if they hope to maintain relevance as a Power conference. Right now, both programs are just a shell of what they used to be.

Comment

• Frankly if Texas and Oklahoma leave for the PAC or some other scenario I would expect the conference to either fold due to loss of members or pick off the best programs from the AAC and MWC. If the second happens I would expect us to be part of the equation but I'm not sure what stature that conference is going to have. Might not be a P conference.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                            Frankly if Texas and Oklahoma leave for the PAC or some other scenario I would expect the conference to either fold due to loss of members or pick off the best programs from the AAC and MWC. If the second happens I would expect us to be part of the equation but I'm not sure what stature that conference is going to have. Might not be a P conference.
                            If this were to happen. I would definitely expect to see UC and BYU added. Along with some sort of combination of Boise St, Uconn, UCF, Memphis, ECU, Tulsa, Houston, SMU being added.

I think that would make for one heck of a basketball conference and a pretty good football conference.

Can you imagine:

Kansas
                            Kansas St
                            Iowa St
                            Oklahoma St
                            Baylor
                            TCU
                            Texas Tech
                            WVU
                            Cincinnati
                            BYU
                            Memphis
                            Uconn

I would take that in a heartbeat.

Comment

• It might not unfold exactly like that, but you toss Boise, Colo. St, and San Diego St in that mix and it's a very good fb and bb conference. Also another reason the lessor current B12 schools want expansion.

Comment

• Cincinnati is mentioned...

http://www.si.com/college-football/2...?xid=si_social
                                Former KMart Ball Boy

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X