No announcement yet.

More proof the Big 12 needs to add us!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC upgraded Nippert for one reason and one reason only...premium seating revenue!

This would have happened no matter what conference we were affiliated with or wanted to join.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat Otto View Post
      UC upgraded Nippert for one reason and one reason only...premium seating revenue!

This would have happened no matter what conference we were affiliated with or wanted to join.
      Thank Gosh somebody else gets it!! The stadium was built first and foremost for the reason above... the Premium Revenue Seating is the only reason to have built the expansion because the amount of revenue it will bring in over the next 10 years nearly pays for itself and then some. Anything else that comes out of its being built, is just gravy on top. Like getting into a better, conference and I am sure that was part of the hope as well, but UC needed the corporate level seating boxes desperately and they capitalized on the string of great seasons and the possibility of getting into a better conference, to get this much needed expansion done... The people who blabber on about "it is, or will be, a waste of money, if we don't get in a new conference", have no concept of what the main benefit of this expansion is, and it will never be a waste of money.

Comment

• But will UC be able to sell out these luxury suites down the road if their conference affiliation doesn't change? When Brian Kelly was here, UC football had the most buzz the program had ever generated. That was because they were in a BCS league. I still remember the night that we were on ABC at 8 PM on a Saturday. That time slot is always reserved for the OSU, Notre Dame and USCs of the world. Now we are back to the CUSA days of having Thur-Fri games on ESPN2. That kind of fade into oblivion might not sell out those luxury suites.

Comment

• Good article yesterday by Heather Dinich at ESPN. It's an interview with none other than Bob Bowlsby on the subject of how the Big 12 can fix their "tie breaker issue" in football. You can tell this guy is just a puppet who's strings are being pulled in Austin.

Here's his latest words of wisdom on the Big 12 and their view on having a conference championship game:

Does that sound like the Big 12 is embracing a championship game?? Hardly. More like they are digging their heels in because "our regular season is better than anybody else's". LOL. The funniest part about this is that the folks in Austin are so insular and detached they don't even realize the rest of the P5 is laughing at them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...nate-co-champs

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
            But will UC be able to sell out these luxury suites down the road if their conference affiliation doesn't change? When Brian Kelly was here, UC football had the most buzz the program had ever generated. That was because they were in a BCS league. I still remember the night that we were on ABC at 8 PM on a Saturday. That time slot is always reserved for the OSU, Notre Dame and USCs of the world. Now we are back to the CUSA days of having Thur-Fri games on ESPN2. That kind of fade into oblivion might not sell out those luxury suites.
            AMEN There are not enough big money types to buy the luxury seats just to buy them. Cincinnatians need a reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by hipal88 View Post
              AMEN There are not enough big money types to buy the luxury seats just to buy them. Cincinnatians need a reason.
              Ahmm. Yes there are.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                Ahmm. Yes there are.
                GREAT response. Please allow me to retort. No, there are not.

Comment

hipal...you would be wrong on this front.

There are multiple fortune 500 companies headquartered in the Cincinnati commercial zone. All employ many levels of management that make far and away more than the average worker bees.

Add that to these corporation using the suites to entertain. These companies are looking for a return on their investment. Offering their customers and/or vendors a great day at the ballgame pays dividends for them even if they are not fans of UC. If I am not mistaken, the suites were the first to sell out in the new arrangement. They probably have a waiting list to fill in for any turnover.

I have no doubt that the new seating will be full and will continue to be a money maker for the university. You market to your customers. The sports customer, in this market and everywhere else, wants conveniences like leg room, good food without long lines, same with restrooms, and good sight lines. The new seats have all of that.

If it was just product on the field, the Bengals would be long gone.

Comment

• I will give you credit, Otto, for attempting an argument. But... There are multiple suite options for the so called executive entertainment dollar - Reds, Bengals, X, and UC bball and now fball. Up and down the road for the transplants are nc tOSU and sUcK. I can't see the return on inviting a client the titanic UC v Tulsa Thursday night extravaganza.

The Bengals exist because they are part of the wildly popular NFL. Just like UC would thrive if they were in a wildly popular P5 conf.

Here is one final note. If there is a waiting list, then why do I know of one company dropping its UC bball suite....when the bball product is at a 10 year high.

Comment

• Meanwhile in the Bob Bowlsby Said Something Dept., He was widely quoted yesterday as saying that the Big 12 needs a championship game and is at a competitive disadvantage versus the rest of the P5 without one. Just about everyone I saw make a comment suggested that they add BYU and UC and that not doing so while also adding the championship game would be pointless.

I particularly liked a quote from the Landthieves twitter account that suggested that the reason that the old Pac-10 was regarded as not pulling their weight and a lightweight conference in the BCS was that it only had 10 teams. While I doubt Bowlsby cares what they think, it's a very valid point.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        Meanwhile in the Bob Bowlsby Said Something Dept., He was widely quoted yesterday as saying that the Big 12 needs a championship game and is at a competitive disadvantage versus the rest of the P5 without one. Just about everyone I saw make a comment suggested that they add BYU and UC and that not doing so while also adding the championship game would be pointless. .

Yep just saw that. It took the Selection Committee Chairman Jeff Long telling Bowlsby that "13 data points is better than 12" in order for him to admit they have to change. We'll see what kind of change the boys in Austin come up with.
                        This could be our chance at a lifeline....... I'm praying it is.

Comment

• There were 2 fball boxes left last time i heard. However, there is the money there, however unlike almost all the other d1 programs there is a lot of other competition here in terms of the pro teams, etc. Non pro city's like to poo poo that, but it's a fact you have to live with. However, the other big reason for upgrading was to much more reasonably seats 30k plus fans. There logistical changes and added bathrooms were needed given the increased attendance, and this is one way to pay for those added upgrades and keep it on campus.

Comment

I will give you credit, Otto, for attempting an argument. But... There are multiple suite options for the so called executive entertainment dollar - Reds, Bengals, X, and UC bball and now fball. Up and down the road for the transplants are nc tOSU and sUcK. I can't see the return on inviting a client the titanic UC v Tulsa Thursday night extravaganza.

The Bengals exist because they are part of the wildly popular NFL. Just like UC would thrive if they were in a wildly popular P5 conf.

Here is one final note. If there is a waiting list, then why do I know of one company dropping its UC bball suite....when the bball product is at a 10 year high.
                            The obvious answer is that the company decided their ROI was not good. That doesn't mean the next company in thinks the same way or uses the suite in the same manner. You obvious think that if a ROI is bad for one company then it is bad for all companies. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just like you might like bananas and I can't stand them. Who is right? It is a decision made by two companies that have absolutely nothing to do with each others financials. The only common ground is the venue.

All that said, the company leaving might not lie the increase in UCAT pricing on the suite level as well as the seats. just like football, UCATS is going to per seat fee. That may have been the breaking point. Who knows.

Comment

I will give you credit, Otto, for attempting an argument. But... There are multiple suite options for the so called executive entertainment dollar - Reds, Bengals, X, and UC bball and now fball. Up and down the road for the transplants are nc tOSU and sUcK. I can't see the return on inviting a client the titanic UC v Tulsa Thursday night extravaganza.

Which company is dropping it's suite? Can you provide a source to verify?

Comment

FYI.. all the 100,000 per year suites are sold and not only that they were 10year contract leases.. There only 2 suite boxes left right now and they are the least expensive of the lot at $2500 I think? But, we'll see how that trends over the next few years. In he end, Cincinnati has the most Fortune 500 companies per capita then the rest of the country.. we're #1, and I know of a few that have complained for years that they didn't invest in UC much because UC didn't offer luxury accommodations... they don't even care who UC plays because they use the box as a write off. give away to clients etc.. selling the high end suites should never be an issue..

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X