No announcement yet.

More proof the Big 12 needs to add us!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN's Brett McMurphy reporting that Bob Bowlsby has reversed course after meeting with Big12 Athletic Directors (i.e. UT Austin) and is now saying that the Big12 will NOT hold a Conference Championship Game. Hahahaha. It was just one week ago that the selection committee chairman Jeff Long told Bowlsby that 13 games counts more than 12 games and Bowlsby said then that the league would start moving in that direction (then the boys in Austin set him straight).

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-talk-hold-now

Comment

• If the Big 12 can't figure it out then in some ways I'm glad UC isn't part of the conference. Don't misunderstand me, I want them in a power 5 conference as much as anybody, but the Big 12 seems very myopic and ineptly run.
      In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
      Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

• I'd be interested in who made that decision for Bowlsby. If it was Texas then who at Texas? Steve Patterson the "new" Texas AD is a lot more progressive than Deloss Dodds by a long shot. I wonder if the Regents had a say in this. They strike me as pretty myopic.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I'd guess, and this is just a guess, this has more to do with being patient and staying the course than being myopic. The Big 12 has been bitten several times in the BCS era wtih a championship game loss, or a BCS game loss to an underdog. These events lead them to believe it's better to get a team into the Playoff, than risk being out of contention.

Most likely the Big 12 will have more seasons with one team being undefeated than seasons with two teams, each with one loss. Even if all P5 conferences have a team go undefeated, it's unlikely that there would be five undefeated teams after the conference championship games. Also consider this, a one-loss Big 12 team will get in over a one loss ACC team every time and this season was a fluke for Fla St.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can see the Big 12 getting into the Playoff 90% over the first ten years, yes the next nine years in a row. They already make more money per school and the championship games risks the glory of the Playoff without adding much if any revenue due to expanding to 12 teams. Boy oh boy, I hope I'm wrong...
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• We probably would benefit more if the Big 12 broke up at this point. It would force the issue sooner rather than later, and at bare minimum would likely lead to UC having a better conference affiliation just thru picking up teams left off the shuffle. Unless there is some grand plan already in place for uc, it's pretty clear the B12 has very little consensus amongst it's own members.

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post
              We probably would benefit more if the Big 12 broke up at this point. It would force the issue sooner rather than later, and at bare minimum would likely lead to UC having a better conference affiliation just thru picking up teams left off the shuffle. Unless there is some grand plan already in place for uc, it's pretty clear the B12 has very little consensus amongst it's own members.
              I have always said that teams being poached from the Big 12 will be needed for us to get in. Maybe Oklahoma, Iowa State to big ten? Texas to SEC? (Even though I don't think Texas will give up its power in another conference)

It seems like the Big 12 is at the bottom of the pecking order for the power 5 and they are always poached when conferences go looking for members. It was that way when the Big East existed. We were at the bottom of the BCS conferences and were poached. (I guess that means Conf USA was 7th since the Big East always went poaching that conference for members)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
                I have always said that teams being poached from the Big 12 will be needed for us to get in. Maybe Oklahoma, Iowa State to big ten? Texas to SEC? (Even though I don't think Texas will give up its power in another conference)

It seems like the Big 12 is at the bottom of the pecking order for the power 5 and they are always poached when conferences go looking for members. It was that way when the Big East existed. We were at the bottom of the BCS conferences and were poached. (I guess that means Conf USA was 7th since the Big East always went poaching that conference for members)
                No thanks on your scenario.

It would be like the Big East all over again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat Otto View Post
                  No thanks on your scenario.

It would be like the Big East all over again.
                  I don't think he was meaning to say we join with the Big 12 leftovers. If the Big 12 disbanded, there would be a race to 16, each of the 4 conferences would expand to 16 teams each. In this scenario, I believe UC would be one of the 64 and I'd be very happy with that.

The Big 12 is not ideal, though a huge step up from the AAC. I agree with you, a Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma would be a conference poised to continue being poached until there's nothing left. I don't see Texas going anywhere, so I'd be happy with a Big 12 invite.

Comment

• Although, I think that the BIG would like to add Texas and ND, both of those schools ego's would never accept anything short of everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                      there would be a race to 16, each of the 4 conferences would expand to 16 teams each. In this scenario, I believe UC would be one of the 64 and I'd be very happy with that.
                      I would take that also but I think we might be left out if they go to 64. Right now the power 5 consists of 65. (with Notre Dame). So who gets removed? There are teams that deserve to be removed (Rutgers, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest) but I don't think they will boot anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
                        I would take that also but I think we might be left out if they go to 64. Right now the power 5 consists of 65. (with Notre Dame). So who gets removed? There are teams that deserve to be removed (Rutgers, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest) but I don't think they will boot anyone.
                        Either the ACC or Big 12 will implode or merge to get to four conferences. The remaining conferences will all need to add to get to 16. I think there will be some teams left out when there is more shuffling and that separation will be the hardest part of the whole process.

Who gets left out? I could speculate, but won't add fuel there. I believe we get chosen by one of the remaining conferences over one or two of the bottom feeders of the losing conference. Right now, the conferences are protecting their own. As we saw with the implosion of the Big East, once the conference goes away so does that protective wing.

On a side note, I can envision a scenario with Noter Shame on the outside looking in. A few dominoes have to fall in place for that to happen, beginning with the ACC being the conference that goes away with the move to Super Four (fantastic four is already copyrighted). The next domino is that NBC is left out of the tv deals. There also has to be a nearly unanimous decision to exclude that level of competition based on an intense resentment of the long-standing independent status. It's a looong shot, but could happen.

Something will happen. There will be more shuffling in one form or another. In any of those scenarios, I believe UC will be in. It may happen in a year or two or five or ten.... I hope it does before the next round of tv deals expire.

Comment

• The NBC/Notre Dame TV contract runs through 2025. Conference or no conference, the Irish eyes watch TV. Even if the ACC ditches them and they're left high and dry, NBC has them for 10 more years.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• There is an odd thread on a Cleveland Browns message board, discussing that UC and ECU will announce invites to the Big 12 within a month. Just looks far fetched to me.

http://cle.scout.com/forums/4409-the...u-to-b12?s=149

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                              There is an odd thread on a Cleveland Browns message board, discussing that UC and ECU will announce invites to the Big 12 within a month. Just looks far fetched to me.

http://cle.scout.com/forums/4409-the...u-to-b12?s=149
                              I one respect, this kind of makes sense. Why would UC increase ticket prices
                              & charge higher per seat donation level for the AAC schedule? Maybe they
                              know something we don't. My goodness I hope so.
                              However, I keep hearing the B12 is content on not have a championship game. My heart says we are in & my logical mind says no way.
                              JDBearcat
                              RIP Pat Cummings

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                                The NBC/Notre Dame TV contract runs through 2025. Conference or no conference, the Irish eyes watch TV. Even if the ACC ditches them and they're left high and dry, NBC has them for 10 more years.
                                How long would NBC keep them if the Super 64 teams backed out of playing them? - it's just a dream...

As for the Browns thread, I'm not holding my breath. Rumors can be started by anyone. This one seems to be a WVU fan who is glad to have "local" conference opponents. IF the Big12 expands, I think Cincy gets in - no rumors just my opinion. I also believe ECU could get in only if the Big 12 adds 4 teams, which would drop the per team revenue even lower.

The comment about deferred or less than equal revenue for the new members makes sense. The only way the Big 12 expands is if existing members see it as an advantage. The only advantage this option gives to them is a championship game and equal revenue. They don't believe a championship game is worth the fuss if the revenue stays the same per school. BTW - UC and an other school taking less means less than the cut the Big 12 teams get; it would be a huge boost to our current revenue.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X