No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange development in Waco. The Board of Regents are apparently about to remove Ken Starr as President as a result of the school's sexual assault issue that the football team brought to light. This probably opens them up to several Title IX damage suits among other things. Art Briles is obviously under the gun as well. That leaves the AD. If there's a complete turnover here, who votes at the Big 12 meetings coming up next week? If they appoint an interim, do they have any ties to The University of Texas and how do they lean on expansion. Seems like the expansion ball just landed in the lap of the Board.

This information is coming from Chip Brown, now at Horns Digest. His record is a little spotty but in general he's in front of things like this when they come out.

Warning Autoplay video: http://www.scout.com/college/texas/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Chip Brown now reporting he's been fired.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Texas writers look at UC as an expansion candidate

http://www.hookem.com/2016/05/24/big...ur-cincinnati/
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          Texas writers look at UC as an expansion candidate

http://www.hookem.com/2016/05/24/big...ur-cincinnati/
          What do we have to do to get the truth out about why UC isn't in a P5? It wasn't that we weren't/arent' worthy.It's because our former president decided to be loyal to the ship that was being sunk under him by his buddies at Pitt et al. The Pitt AD IIRC sank the media offer and told the others to 'wait for something better'. Sure 'nuff = Pitt's situation got better.
          The Red & Black shall triumph as they are struggling down the field. Oh fight for Cincinnati: McMicken's foes shall yield.

Comment

• Originally posted by FBBBUCfan View Post

What do we have to do to get the truth out about why UC isn't in a P5? It wasn't that we weren't/arent' worthy.It's because our former president decided to be loyal to the ship that was being sunk under him by his buddies at Pitt et al. The Pitt AD IIRC sank the media offer and told the others to 'wait for something better'. Sure 'nuff = Pitt's situation got better.
            Texas holds all the cards. Anything decision on expansion (or any other major decision for that matter) runs thru Austin.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackattack View Post

Texas holds all the cards. Anything decision on expansion (or any other major decision for that matter) runs thru Austin.
              Texas is holding enough cards, though I wouldn't say they have an ace high straight flush. At this point, they are happy to win with three of a kind. They may end up with two pair, but I'm hoping only a pair of deuces. There are nine other schools and at least seven in favor of Network, expansion, and CCG.

I am also wondering if there is a way ESPN can terminate the LHN contract? I recall we had some speculation on that topic with the contract posted; however, I thought we surmised it is a possibility that ESPN pulls the plug on the LHN. With that possibility and the other conference mates willing to keep giving UT $15 million, you have to think there is a chance, even without Texas putting there stamp of approval - a signature of conciliatory acceptance is all we need.
              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• One of the things I went back and read was this article:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...-money-revenue

One of the points it makes is that LHN is a long term investment and if it sticks around long enough it eventually pours 70% of it's revenue into Texas once it covers the up front start up costs.

The contract termination is here on page 24:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byz...w?pref=2&pli=1

Tl Dr version is ESPN or Texas has to default, be insolvent or dissolved to terminate the deal. There's also an option for illegal conduct. I'm not an attorney but in reading this again they're stuck with each other unless Disney dumps ESPN and they both choose to renegotiate this whole thing. I was under the impression that there was a clause where by mutual agreement they could part ways. Nope.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• In the contract world the way out is to either sweeten the deal for them, or prepay it and they move on to some other alternative. Translated, somebody pays up. Espn has some bad deals, and this is one of them. The bigger issue is that a conference would allow it in the first place, but ultimately that falls on the other members and a lack of leadership. To a certain extent, if you get invited into this den, you're hitching your wagons to the big east part 2. You take what is thrown your way.

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post
                    In the contract world the way out is to either sweeten the deal for them, or prepay it and they move on to some other alternative. Translated, somebody pays up. Espn has some bad deals, and this is one of them. The bigger issue is that a conference would allow it in the first place, but ultimately that falls on the other members and a lack of leadership. To a certain extent, if you get invited into this den, you're hitching your wagons to the big east part 2. You take what is thrown your way.

Well said. Look, I'm in the same camp as most UC fans on this issue. That is, if we get an invite to the Big 12 you take it and run with it and use the opportunity to further build our brand and have as much success as we can. BUT, you also go into the Big 12 with your eyes wide open knowing that if the conference continues with it's lack of vision and leadership that in all likelihood when their GOR expires the chances are high that we will be looking for another conference home.

Comment

One of the things I went back and read was this article:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...-money-revenue

One of the points it makes is that LHN is a long term investment and if it sticks around long enough it eventually pours 70% of it's revenue into Texas once it covers the up front start up costs.
                      Ha Ha HA Bhahahaha - 70% of revenue will always be less than $15 million

Originally posted by coach View Post
                      In the contract world the way out is to either sweeten the deal for them, or prepay it and they move on to some other alternative. Translated, somebody pays up. Espn has some bad deals, and this is one of them. The bigger issue is that a conference would allow it in the first place, but ultimately that falls on the other members and a lack of leadership. To a certain extent, if you get invited into this den, you're hitching your wagons to the big east part 2. You take what is thrown your way.
                      I couldn't agree more! The first path to P5 needs to be accepted; however, we cannot get burned again by sinking our heads in the sand.
                      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Interesting expansion article from David Ubben:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...cincinnati-byu
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Here's another opinion piece that looks at the probable necessity of B12 expansion and (at the end) looks favorably upon UC.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...cincinnati-byu

[Oops. Lobot beat me to it.]

Comment

• Baylor just went up in flames. Ken Starr has been reassigned to Chancellor. Art Briles has been fired. Ian McCaw the AD, has been sanctioned and placed on probation. I have no idea who they send as rep to the Big 12 meetings next week.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• They should give their vote to Boren by proxy.

Comment

Baylor just went up in flames. Ken Starr has been reassigned to Chancellor. Art Briles has been fired. Ian McCaw the AD, has been sanctioned and placed on probation. I have no idea who they send as rep to the Big 12 meetings next week.
                                Per the Waco Trib, Baylor has assigned the interim presidency to the current head of the theology school, Dr. David Garland. He was interim before Ken Starr was hired. Also, while the AD, Ian McCaw, was sanctioned, including probation, there was no mention of any reduction in duties. I would suspect that both Dr. Garland and McCaw would participate in any conference meetings and/or discussions.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X