No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next round of presentations by the remaining schools is today.
    Last edited by Lobot; 09-08-2016, 09:38 AM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The conference breaking up is always a possibility if it be remote. Texas won't likely do it given their deal, but Oklahoma/Osu not out of the question. If it comes to no expansion, this will be the result. Just a question of how long it takes.

Comment

• TT and UTexas are voting no to any slate without Houston and there must be at least one other school voting against BYU/UC slate, unless eight is not enough. I think they would like a slate getting consensus ten votes in preparation for any lawsuit from ESPN because any dissention could be used as an argument in future litigation. On the topic of slates, they don't seem to be voting on single teams so there isn't a #11 team, #12 team, or #13 team, etc...they are voting on groups of two and ultimately groups of four. If none of the slates can get to ten votes then they may not expand, though the most likely scenario is a slate of four can get ten votes.

On a positive, is there any news on when Bohn is presenting to the Big 12 in person? Will President Davenport join him? Is there any chance she removes interim from her name and becomes the next president?
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rational Cat View Post
          The ineptitude of the Big 12 is mind numbing. When the Big 10 and the ACC expanded, it just pretty much happened.
          The conference commissioner in those conferences was able to collect data and make a formal recommendation to the league presidents in the absence of state politics. Also, in those cases, the conferences set targets instead of having the schools paint themselves as targets. This is my opinion, I think Big 12 went public with initial intent to expand in hopes of wooing Fla State and possibly one other ACC team and letting it be known those schools have options and shouldn't extend the GOR. I further believe the B!G did the same thing when with rumors of Kansas, North Carolina, Virginia, and Missouri to the B!G were "leaked".

Comment

• It's a shame that UC doesn't have something lined up with the ACC. I don't think the Big 12 is going to happen. Texas knows they have the wind at their back now with the big win over ND and Oklahoma's loss to UH.

Comment

• I have read the posts in this thread for many months now. In my opinion, an invitation to the BIG12 is not in the cards for UC. That's why Urban Meyer came out and publicly supported UC and it's "candidacy" for inclusion - he knows it won't happen. It's like the movie "Spies Like Us," where Emmet Fitz-Hume (played by Chevy Chase) said "I'm sorry I'm late. I had to attend the reading of a will. Had to stay to the very end, only to find I received nothing." This thing will drag on for months, and then the BIG12 will not expand.
              Last edited by London 'Cat; 09-08-2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Here's my justification for expansion with four teams...

1. More teams equals more money
                2. All other stable conferences have 14 schools - no more psychologically disadvantaged comments
                3. 10 team league and conference championship game seems impractical
                4. When the presidents realized they needed a conference championship for the playoffs, expansion moved to the front burner

Comment

• UC has done all they can do, and honorably. If the TT era had gone better in football there would be no question. But doing the right thing is not always rewarded, and we could be left out. So, I still think we're in.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackattack View Post
                    It's a shame that UC doesn't have something lined up with the ACC. I don't think the Big 12 is going to happen. Texas knows they have the wind at their back now with the big win over ND and Oklahoma's loss to UH.
                    If we could, we would. The ACC is an all-around better fit. That's not to say we're a bad fit for the Big 12. UC is as worthy of a seat to the P-5 (or Super Four) as at least half the current teams. We simply don't have the traditional relationships and now have to take the best thing to come along, which is the Big 12.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                      UC has done all they can do, and honorably. If the TT era had gone better in football there would be no question. But doing the right thing is not always rewarded, and we could be left out. So, I still think we're in.
                      i was just thinking about the whole TT angle of this. if UC doesn't get into the B12 and Houston does, i gotta think there's going to be a lot more people calling for his job - rightly or wrongly - given how quickly our team's regressed under him and how quickly Houston has ascended.

for the record, my $$$ is still on UC getting in, assuming expansion does happen.

Comment

• Problem is, I think we need to get in to be able to afford and get rid of him.... but it needs to happen regardless and asap

Comment

• What UC offers the Big 12 http://www.bcsnn.com/big-xii/9411-what-the-cincinnati-bearcats-offer-the-big-12-in-expansion.html

Comment

• Blaudschun reappears with more info. Full article requires $

https://tmgcollegesports.com/2016/09...ins-for-uconn/
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by TheDog View Post
                              Here's my justification for expansion with four teams...

1. More teams equals more money
                              2. All other stable conferences have 14 schools - no more psychologically disadvantaged comments
                              3. 10 team league and conference championship game seems impractical
                              4. When the presidents realized they needed a conference championship for the playoffs, expansion moved to the front burner
                              Here are my four teams and why...no particular order.

1. Air Force (football only) - academics, reputation, AF reportedly approached in the past which shows Big 12 interest, AF has not removed themselves from consideration so they are interested
                              2. BYU (football only) - there is no way the Big 12 passes on BYU, academics, fan base, facilities, good teams
                              3. UC - great teams when in better conference, tv market, bridge to WV, many ties to Big 12 presidents, research, academics, recruiting base
                              4. Either Houston or UCONN - UCONN would be my first choice but can't rule out unpredictable and irrational politics

I think AF and BYU are football only to resolve issues such as travel and no play Sundays. Also, both are located in the Mountain time zone so they will not feel isolated with each in the conference and not being the only “football only” school. And “football only” is a compromise with the television partners who will soon be handing the Big 12 more money. AF and BYU will be in the same division.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                                Blaudschun reappears with more info. Full article requires $

https://tmgcollegesports.com/2016/09...ins-for-uconn/
                                The free opening was nice, but left room for additional political considerations....

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X