No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More food for thought... http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...last-long-term

Comment

• I'm so tired of all this crap. Maybe the best idea would be to turn down an invite if we get one.

@McMurphyESPN 52s52 seconds ago OU president David Boren on Big 12 plans: "I wouldn't take expansion as a given. I wouldn't take it as a sure thing." @EricBaileyTW reports

Comment

• If the Big 12 doesn't expand after all this drawn out drama and crap, they will finally be exposed for the inept frauds that they are. Not that everyone doesn't know that already.
        May UT die a slow and painful death, because this is all their doing.
        I hate the Big 12, yet we need to get into a P5 again (we were there in the Big East, and I blame Pres Greg Williams for letting that blow up on us, and deciding that we will go down with the the ship).

Lest anyone forget, UC Football won the Big East 4 out of 5 years running at one point. We're the only ones who remember that, it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rational Cat View Post
          I hate the Big 12, yet we need to get into a P5 again (we were there in the Big East, and I blame Pres Greg Williams for letting that blow up on us, and deciding that we will go down with the the ship).
          Sucks that they seem to be the only option. Maybe we'd be better off sitting in the corner with Jugdish and Lonnie.

On a serious note, this whole thing has badly damaged the reputation of the Big 12, it seems like some of them don't care and may actually be trying to kill their own conference on purpose.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Sucks that they seem to be the only option. Maybe we'd be better off sitting in the corner with Jugdish and Lonnie.

On a serious note, this whole thing has badly damaged the reputation of the Big 12, it seems like some of them don't care and may actually be trying to kill their own conference on purpose.
            I think Ut and OU are using this exercise to look for a nicer home.
            OU will find one, because they're nice folks
            UT will not, because they're bullies.

Texas politics only work in Texas. Nowhere else

Comment

• Expansion is not guaranteed and Boren is ok to say it. This doesn't say Boren is against it or he doesn't think expansion is going to happen. This statement isn't news.
              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rational Cat View Post

I think Ut and OU are using this exercise to look for a nicer home.
                OU will find one, because they're nice folks
                UT will not, because they're bullies.

Texas politics only work in Texas. Nowhere else
                My sentiments exactly. When Texas launched the LHN in 2011 and refused to share the revenue, that was the last straw for Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, and Texas A&M. All of these articles (like the one above) proclaiming that Texas can leave anytime they want and join any conference they want are just click bait. The LHN contract with ESPN runs through 2031......which puts Texas in an untenable position when the Big12 GOR expires in 2024. Does anyone really believe that the university presidents in the other P5 conferences are going to welcome a school that has it's own network, keeps all the money, and is a bully when it comes to getting it's own way?
                When the Big12 GOR is up, I could see Oklahoma and Kansas leaving for the B1G. Unless Texas is willing to bend on the LHN, they will probably be forced to add some G5 schools again to try to keep the Big12 viable..........remains to be seen if that will work....I don't think it will. Hopefully Texas ends up as an Independent where they struggle to schedule and struggle to remain financially viable after the LHN is done.
                Last edited by blackattack; 09-15-2016, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• The statement by Boren that expansion is not a given isn't quite the whole story. He basically stated that they don't expect a vote on the Oct. 17 Board meeting timetable that everyone expected. To be fair, the media assumed it would happen at that time. They may in fact drag this out to December. I just searched for the next scheduled meeting after Oct. 17 and it doesn't appear they have that info posted anywhere. They may set that date at the Oct. 17 meeting.

Here's the whole article that McMurphy cited.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...e69432e90.html
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by blackattack View Post

My sentiments exactly. When Texas launched the LHN in 2011 and refused to share the revenue, that was the last straw for Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, and Texas A&M. All of these articles (like the one above) proclaiming that Texas can leave anytime they want and join any conference they want are just click bait. The LHN contract with ESPN runs through 2031......which puts Texas in an untenable position when the Big12 GOR expires in 2024. Does anyone really believe that the university presidents in the other P5 conferences are going to welcome a school that has it's own network, keeps all the money, and is a bully when it comes to getting it's own way?
                    When the Big12 GOR is up, I could see Oklahoma and Kansas leaving for the B1G. Unless Texas is willing to bend on the LHN, they will probably be forced to add some G5 schools again to try to keep the Big12 viable..........remains to be seen if that will work....I don't think it will. Hopefully Texas ends up as an Independent where they struggle to schedule and struggle to remain financially viable after the LHN is done.
                    Is the LHN that big of a sticking point?I'm playing devil's advocate here, but hear me out. All schools have some sort of contract for tier 3 rights which is what the LHN covers. The LHN also brings exposure to other Olympic sports as many of those games are available. As a Bearcat fan, I'd love to tune into a Bearcat only network for special events, like signing days, open practices or scrimmages, and coaches/pre-game shows. Why should other schools complain that they are so well known (or believed in by the network) to have their own channel for this content. It would not prevent tier 1 or tier 2 rights holders from selecting Texas. They get more money, waaa stop crying! It's Texas, they were going to get that money from big oil donors anyway, so it's not really something others can complain about. If we think of the LHN as tier 3 rights, then why wouldn't another conference want that? Oh wait, can someone help me out here, I believe the other conferences pool their tier 3 rights and that's what makes a conference network plausible for SEC/B!G and now the ACC. Is that true?

I grant all points about Texas politics and bullying to get their way, etc... on the other hand, many of the issues they advocate are in line with the way SEC and B!G conferences operate. The ACC would love to have Texas and ND would likely sign off on a recurring home and home with Texas. The worst part of Texas joining another conference is that there are limited slots and the offer would be Texas only, not Texas plus TT or Texas plus TCU, etc...

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Is the LHN that big of a sticking point?I'm playing devil's advocate here, but hear me out. All schools have some sort of contract for tier 3 rights which is what the LHN covers. The LHN also brings exposure to other Olympic sports as many of those games are available. As a Bearcat fan, I'd love to tune into a Bearcat only network for special events, like signing days, open practices or scrimmages, and coaches/pre-game shows. Why should other schools complain that they are so well known (or believed in by the network) to have their own channel for this content. It would not prevent tier 1 or tier 2 rights holders from selecting Texas. They get more money, waaa stop crying! It's Texas, they were going to get that money from big oil donors anyway, so it's not really something others can complain about. If we think of the LHN as tier 3 rights, then why wouldn't another conference want that? Oh wait, can someone help me out here, I believe the other conferences pool their tier 3 rights and that's what makes a conference network plausible for SEC/B!G and now the ACC. Is that true?

I grant all points about Texas politics and bullying to get their way, etc... on the other hand, many of the issues they advocate are in line with the way SEC and B!G conferences operate. The ACC would love to have Texas and ND would likely sign off on a recurring home and home with Texas. The worst part of Texas joining another conference is that there are limited slots and the offer would be Texas only, not Texas plus TT or Texas plus TCU, etc...

Why did Nebraska, Texas A&M, Colorado, and Missouri leave the Big12 ?

Comment

• Originally posted by blackattack View Post

Why did Nebraska, Texas A&M, Colorado, and Missouri leave the Big12 ?
                        The LHN was a tipping point because Texas is a bully and everything that goes along with Texas politics. Each had their own reasons (all involving higher revenue and hurt feelings due to Texas politics and bullying). The Big 12 had the opportunity to form a Big 12 network and turned it down, then ESPN came to Texas to form LHN. Once the money started rolling into Austin, TA&M and MO felt they were at a significant competitive disadvantage and jumped at the opportunity for a significant pay raise in the SEC, I don't know if they favored conference network or not at initial offering, but it's their own fault (and those of fellow conference members) that there wasn't a mechanism to require sharing of tier 3 rights and pooled revenue. Nebraska was highly pissed that Texas pushed through a limit on using Prop 48 players and setting a higher bar for academics. The limit was something like 6 or 8 and Nebraska had around 45 Prop 48 players on their roster. When the courtship with the B!G began, it was pretty simple after that for Nebraska to see the chaos they were leaving, and funds to be received in the B!G. As to Colorado, I think they jumped to the Pac believing the Big 12 would fall apart, largely due to Texas.

You are correct, Texas is a menacing pariah as a conference mate on equal footing and they cannot keep 100% of the LHN revenue if they jump ship. Texas will have to weigh if they can afford to share the revenue of LHN if asked to join a conference with pooled tier 3 rights. The other conferences will have to take a long hard look at the other baggage Texas carries and sharing LHN revenue is only a beginning.
                        Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 09-15-2016, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Flugaur just tweeted that they can't get a consensus on 2 and can't get to 4 without a public statement from BYU that protects the conference. So right now it's at 0.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Also,
                            BTM:OU Contacts "No public change in Honor Code has eroded support. Which has greatly eroded data argument for 14"

BTM:OU Contacts "UH & UC is D.O.A" UH & UConn is D.O.A" "UC & UConn is D.O.A"

Paraphrase: Expansion will be tabled unless BYU gets it's ***** together.
                            Last edited by Lobot; 09-15-2016, 01:33 PM.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Very discouraging. This conference is a mess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                                Also,
                                BTM:OU Contacts "No public change in Honor Code has eroded support. Which has greatly eroded data argument for 14"

BTM:OU Contacts "UH & UC is D.O.A" UH & UConn is D.O.A" "UC & UConn is D.O.A"

Paraphrase: Expansion will be tabled unless BYU gets it's ***** together.
                                This makes sense of Boren's comments that expansion is not a given. I also see that as a sign that both Florida schools aren't really in the picture either. I also see this as support that Greg's OU contacts can be trusted. It all hinges on BYU being the centerpiece...On a positive, if BYU satisfies the Big 12 on Honor Code, this process could get back on track?

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X