USC and UCLA to leave the PAC 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
    I see Stanford and Cal being left by themselves because of their attitude towards everyone else (except maybe the B1G) and neither have students that support their primary sports. Washington State and Oregon State will end up in the Mountain West (and wonder what ever happened). It is interesting to consider how memoires forget. Once there was a Big 6 and the Big East football was part of it. Those BE schools that landed early are considered Big 5 status which includes WVU, UL, Pitt, Syracuse, and Rutgers. None have competed better than UC which is still considered a group of 5 and just a body added to the Big 12 even though UC won the Big East when all teams were still there with back to back big boy bowl games. I see the PAC dying slowly like the Big East did a decade ago. The PAC will experience one member leaving, then another and then the rest just scratching their heads. If I recall, Virginia Tech, Boston College and Miami were all once part of the Big East.
    I doubt both Cal and Stanford get left behind if pac10 teams start moving to the Big 12. The Bay area and the following of college football is still big out there, even if the percentage of population is small due to vast population size. Barring Big Ten expansion and assuming Noter Shame stays independent with a new NBC contract, I can see the Big 12 adding Stanford to give NBC one more Noter Shame away game. ND would host Stanford and play one Big 12 away game, then next year, host a Big 12 team while playing at Stanford. They have scheduling flexibility as these would only be games 6 and 7 plus the five games against the ACC.

Should the Big 12 - NBC - ND thing actually come to fruition, this would only supplement the primary Tier 1 and Tier 2 tv rights to make the Big 12 much more revenue than the pac 10, plus if/when Stanford is in the fold, then the other 9 pac 10 teams will most all want in. From them, I think it would be wise to skip Cal as Stanford brings more to the table due to their ND rivalry. From there, add Oregon, Washington, and Utah. I would stop at 16 unless networks raise value/revenue for adding any other teams. You could go to 18 in the event the Big Ten comes calling on Oregon and Washington or Stanford.
    Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 08-08-2022, 10:35 AM.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Consider the source, but the Dude is saying ESPN and Fox have opened negotiations with the Big 12 on a new TV contract. I haven’t seen this anywhere else.

https://twitter.com/thedudeofwv/stat...up3Txtv7SbSjZA

Comment

• The considered source has conflated some things here I think. There's no evidence that is actually happeninig and I don't think the negotation window is even open yet.

But this is REALLY interesting. B1G is dropping ESPN from it's TV contract in the next round. FOX (BTN) , CBS and NBC will have the contract . Now we know why CBS people cared so much about where this was going. The Athletic is also reporting either Amazon or Apple will have streaming rights.

https://sportsbusinessjournal.com/Da...s-CBS-NBC.aspx

($) https://theathletic.com/3488621/2022...-rights-facts/
        Last edited by Lobot; 08-09-2022, 08:29 AM.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• ESPN just surrendered on the B1G per John Ourand at SBJ
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            ESPN just surrendered on the B1G per John Ourand at SBJ
            I wonder if that means that we will see ESPN meddling with the expansion of either the Big 12 or Pac to get some TV programing back.

This talks about ESPN pulling out of the Big 10 and how it benefits the PAC. Pac-12 Conference expansion, realignment live updates, rumors, speculation, reports (msn.com)
            Last edited by bearcatbret; 08-09-2022, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I wonder if that means that we will see ESPN meddling with the expansion of either the Big 12 or Pac to get some TV programing back.

This talks about ESPN pulling out of the Big 10 and how it benefits the PAC. Pac-12 Conference expansion, realignment live updates, rumors, speculation, reports (msn.com)
              I can tell you right now that we will get screwed again and left at the altar just like we did in the Big East. I can just feel it and I don't like it. It's like that Bruce Springsteen song - One step up and two steps back.

Comment

It is speculation by a Pac10 beat writer. Insert Big 12 and the speculation and rumors still fit. With the ACC stuck at such low revenue for 14 more years and the options not as good as the four the Big 12 added, the Big 12 is stil in best position to be top conference behind Big 10 and SEC. The Pac10 has too many teams playing like Kansas, and Kansas is on the rise in a tough conference. When it comes to tv negotiations, the multiple time zones will be a huge benefit. Relax and wait, nothing will be settled for a long time and nothing will even be hinted at being clearer until the Big 10 signs their new tv deal.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• So, this link is updated when anything their team feels like posting. Pac-12 Conference expansion, realignment live updates, rumors, speculation, reports (yahoo.com)

I agree that this is going to be a long process and I doubt we hear anything for a while except writers making up stuff just to be relevant. Do any of us really believe that things are going to be leaked? However, this guy believes that ESPN not getting in the Big 10 will be bad for the PAC.
                  With Fox, CBS and NBC sharing inventory that includes the New York, Chicago and Los Angeles media markets, the networks will have little, if any motivation to bid against ESPN for the Pac-12 rights."

Comment

So, this link is updated when anything their team feels like posting. Pac-12 Conference expansion, realignment live updates, rumors, speculation, reports (yahoo.com)

I agree that this is going to be a long process and I doubt we hear anything for a while except writers making up stuff just to be relevant. Do any of us really believe that things are going to be leaked? However, this guy believes that ESPN not getting in the Big 10 will be bad for the PAC.
                    With Fox, CBS and NBC sharing inventory that includes the New York, Chicago and Los Angeles media markets, the networks will have little, if any motivation to bid against ESPN for the Pac-12 rights."
                    Key quote here that invalidates the WV bozos:

The San Jose Mercury News' Jon Wilner wrote: "The Big 12 is expected to begin media rights negotiations in the summer of 2024,
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The B1G has announced its TV rights deal with Fox, CBS, and NBC. Rights were sold for 7 Billion over 7 years.

If the Big 12 can even get half of that, I’d be happy. Even without a full share of this for a couple years USC and UCLA made out like bandits on this.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Looks like there’s a bit more to this . There are contract escalators that take the deal to 10 billion if teams are added.

McMurphy is reporting that they aren’t done expanding and the targets are ND, Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• If that information is confirmed it might speed up the AZ,Utah,ASU,Colorado to Big12 scenario

Comment

• Reporting on McMurphy - How the Big Ten TV Deal Impacts Big 12 Expansion (msn.com)

Comment

• Big Ten completes 7-year, $7 billion media rights agreement with Fox, CBS, NBC
                              https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nt-fox-cbs-nbc

Comment

• A suggestion was made in the Welcome to the Big XII thread to move on from this one. Yay or Nay?
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X