Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
    I have a suscpision we will see Yormark at Nippert vs. Indiana
    He said that he went to Indiana and that was really the only team that he followed. Now, his daughter is going to Indiana and he has said that he might go to a game this year to spend time with her.

Comment

• I have NOT really been following all of the college basketball news this off-season. However, I have been following college sports long enough, in general, to think that the league realignment situations that the NCAA has ALLOWED to go on over the last 8 years or so is crazy. These are college kids for God's sake. What impact does traveling all over the damn country to play a conference game have on the level of play? When conferences are built on regional geography, better rivalries can develop. Fans and parents can travel more cheaply to see an away game. Students can travel to see away games. How much goddamn money is enough? The move for UCLA and USC is all about money, plain and simple. Forget student concerns and issues. What good is the NCAA? Why would they just stand by and allow all of this conference realignment to occur? Most of these realignments do NOT make good sense. The travel expenses for league away games must be enormous for a school like West Virginia. Also, since WV joined the Big 12, it has NOT done all that well in league away games for basketball. I wonder why? College sports conferences should continue to be built on geographic closeness. When all is said and done, maybe conference realignment is all about financial survival. Let's not kid each other, money rules out anything else. That in itself is the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by leeraymond View Post
        I have NOT really been following all of the college basketball news this off-season. However, I have been following college sports long enough, in general, to think that the league realignment situations that the NCAA has ALLOWED to go on over the last 8 years or so is crazy. These are college kids for God's sake. What impact does traveling all over the damn country to play a conference game have on the level of play? When conferences are built on regional geography, better rivalries can develop. Fans and parents can travel more cheaply to see an away game. Students can travel to see away games. How much goddamn money is enough? The move for UCLA and USC is all about money, plain and simple. Forget student concerns and issues. What good is the NCAA? Why would they just stand by and allow all of this conference realignment to occur? Most of these realignments do NOT make good sense. The travel expenses for league away games must be enormous for a school like West Virginia. Also, since WV joined the Big 12, it has NOT done all that well in league away games for basketball. I wonder why? College sports conferences should continue to be built on geographic closeness. When all is said and done, maybe conference realignment is all about financial survival. Let's not kid each other, money rules out anything else. That in itself is the problem.
        <Soapbox> Then you've hit it on the head that the problem in fact is unfettered capitalism in sports. And I don't have a better idea here to be honest, because obscene amounts of TV money let the cat out of the bag some time ago and everyone stood around and watched. One of these days we'll learn that advertising dollars ruins everything. Add that to NIL and I think college sports are going to end up in a bad place if somebody (not the NCAA) doesn't get a hold of it. I don't know who that somebody is but it's likely to be the CFP or a new conference guild of some sort for FBS football schools. <End Soapbox>
        Last edited by Lobot; 07-18-2022, 04:43 PM.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
          Out of 50 governors, he is either the worse or 2nd worse. He has been destroying California economically and now trying to expand that to UCLA. I read an article where UCLA athletics department is drowning and that the B1G threw a lifeline to them. Without the kind of TV money that the B1G is offering, UCLA will go broke. So, let Newsom block the deal and we can all watch UCLA slip into irrelevancy.
          Can we please keep political opinions out of here?

Comment

• Back on target.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...n-independent/
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Texas and Oklahoma still adamant about staying put until 2025... which I prefer becasue I want to beat UT at Nippert once.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...g-12-exit-date

Comment

• [QUOTE=Chewbacca2099;n392681]Texas and Oklahoma still adamant about staying put until 2025... which I prefer becasue I want to beat UT at Nippert once.

Probably because ESPN told them to.

Comment

• Fresh off the presses from Pete Thamel: B12 & P12 had been in merger discussions, but the talks ended when the B12 determined that the financials wouldn't justify it:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...officially-end

Comment

• Seeing speculation around the ACC dissolving by the Big10 and SEC both taking a couple teams, the Big12 taking the next 4 best, and the leftovers merging with Pac. I don't think this is realistic because it would include ESPN allowing it to happen... ESPN is getting several premium teams for a huge discount for over a decade to come with that GOR right now, why would they want to pay more.

Comment

• More business angle from FOS.

https://frontofficesports.com/big-12...king-together/
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• No merger... Big 12 and Pac-12 Realignment Merger Isn’t Happening. Now What? Daily Cavalcade (yahoo.com)
                        Could ND really align themselves with the Big 12? A Big 12, Pac-12 merger is off the table. Could the conference still come after Utah? (sltrib.com)
                        Last edited by bearcatbret; 07-19-2022, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• Various twitter sources (unverified) saying that the four corners are applying for BIG12 membership this afternoon.

Who knows, but much quicker than one would think, if true.

Comment

• Originally posted by made_hand View Post
                            Various twitter sources (unverified) saying that the four corners are applying for BIG12 membership this afternoon.

It's that Sideline News account again and Off the top of my head, they've been wrong at every juncture so far. If someone else confirms it, then we're talking.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by made_hand View Post
                              Various twitter sources (unverified) saying that the four corners are applying for BIG12 membership this afternoon.

This looks like someone spewing loads of stuff to see what sticks. Most of it doesn't stick.
                              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1550169613853347841
                                In an interview with the Arizona Republic, Arizona State AD Ray Anderson said of Big 12 defection rumors: "Everything out there has been overblown and exaggerated and lacking any credibility." Says he had 1 conversation with 1 Big 12 AD.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X