No announcement yet.

USC and UCLA to leave the PAC 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two most attractive teams in the PAC are Washington and Oregon. Would the Big 12 take a chance and invite them? Would Washington bail at the first time the Big 10 comes calling? I believe that the Big 12 should invite the best 4 teams available. I have been reading a lot on the Big 12 blog and many of them think that a merger between the PAC and Big 12 is the best solution. The next popular route seems to be Colorado, Utah, AZ and AZ State.

Comment

There's one real positive from my perspective out of USC & UCLA bolting from the P12. Now, I won't have to listen to Bill Walton crowing about the "Conference of Champions" in every other sentence he utters during a P12 basketball game.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
        The two most attractive teams in the PAC are Washington and Oregon. Would the Big 12 take a chance and invite them? Would Washington bail at the first time the Big 10 comes calling? I believe that the Big 12 should invite the best 4 teams available. I have been reading a lot on the Big 12 blog and many of them think that a merger between the PAC and Big 12 is the best solution. The next popular route seems to be Colorado, Utah, AZ and AZ State.
        I read somewhere that the OR & WA legislatures are trying to build coalitions to prevent either the Ducks or Huskies from leaving the Beavers and Cougars behind.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

I read somewhere that the OR & WA legislatures are trying to build coalitions to prevent either the Ducks or Huskies from leaving the Beavers and Cougars behind.
          Sounds like a business restriction. I doubt that flies
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
            There's one real positive from my perspective out of USC & UCLA bolting from the P12. Now, I won't have to listen to Bill Walton crowing about the "Conference of Champions" in every other sentence he utters during a P12 basketball game.
            Here is your Conference of Champions. Pac-12 Statements: July 1, 2022 | Pac-12

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
              If you're the Big12 why wouldn't you do this? - Certainly go after these 4!

Comment

Here's a good legal analysis of GOR and the likelihood that schools could evade the consequences if they tried to leave a conference. This would be of particular importance to any ACC schools that wish to move on. ($)

https://theathletic.com/3396108/2022...ights-staples/

Comment

Here's theathletic.com's take ($) as to what the P12 should do to rebuild. The article mentions three B12 schools as options. They may be able to grab some MWC programs (SDSU/BSU/UNLV), but I don't see any of the B12 schools entering that festering mess.

https://theathletic.com/3396239/2022.../?redirected=1

Comment

Dennis Dodd wrote a short piece on Yormark's early challenges in advancing the B12: Yormark held an emerging Zoom session with all of the B12 AD's yesterday.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...tting-started/

Comment

Prefacing this with my utter lack of knowledge of the law or the kinds of contracts that the schools enter into with the conferences-is there anything (in the ACC GOR or the equivalent for the B12) that would prevent the leadership of the ACC and B12 from trying to proactively take a HUGE swing and try to merge into a competing superconference (preferably also taking a hard run at getting ND to join the rest of the ACC in it)? While it wouldn't quite match the two superpowers for football, a football conference with UC, Houston, Baylor, Iowa State, Clemson, Miami, Florida St, Pitt(and in my dream world ND) at the top, with UCF, Va Tech, UNC, WVU all making their periodic runs of good years isn't nothing either. And the basketball (though it doesn't drive the conversation) night in and night out would be unbelievable. To try to cut down on the ridiculous travel that the new B10 is imposing on student-athletes, maybe convert the two leagues into divisions that are at least more regional (maybe swapping a few around). I know, i know, there are lots of reasons that this would never fly (not least the difference in academic standing between the ACC schools and the B12) but I've gotta dream, rather than face the reality that the big boys have crushed UC before we even get to the table yet again. As far as the Pac12, i honestly don't care-they can merge with the Mountain West and the remnants of the AAC...

Comment

I think your concept is possible but I think the ACC merging with the Big 10 is more likely than with the Big 12. We haven't gotten the time of day from the ACC in the past and they really don't seem to be the least bit interested in the Big 12 schools. I think its more likely that the ACC is left alone for a couple years until their deal expires and then the sharks pick it apart and grab the desireable parts leaving the rest to sink on their own. It wouldn't surprise me to see Clemson go SEC, and ND, NC, UVA, FLSt, maybe NC St go Big 10 with Miami and Loserville also Big 10 options. Miami, Pitt and Va Tech and Cuse are still somewhat appealing as well. Duke, BC, Ga Tech (who did I forget) offer some TV market appeal but not much football wise.
                        Who really knows at this point, Nothing makes sense anymore, other than they have taken our beloved college football game and just made it a money game and semi pro league that has really very little to do with being a student athlete and representing the name on the front of the jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                          I think your concept is possible but I think the ACC merging with the Big 10 is more likely than with the Big 12. We haven't gotten the time of day from the ACC in the past and they really don't seem to be the least bit interested in the Big 12 schools. I think its more likely that the ACC is left alone for a couple years until their deal expires and then the sharks pick it apart and grab the desireable parts leaving the rest to sink on their own. It wouldn't surprise me to see Clemson go SEC, and ND, NC, UVA, FLSt, maybe NC St go Big 10 with Miami and Loserville also Big 10 options. Miami, Pitt and Va Tech and Cuse are still somewhat appealing as well. Duke, BC, Ga Tech (who did I forget) offer some TV market appeal but not much football wise.
                          Who really knows at this point, Nothing makes sense anymore, other than they have taken our beloved college football game and just made it a money game and semi pro league that has really very little to do with being a student athlete and representing the name on the front of the jersey.
                          Duke's football is slowly coming, and its BB is the plum. The BIG would love to have them for ratings and that Raleigh TV market. Duke has the academics which the BIG brags on.

Comment

No more conference championships. Other than basketball and football all other team sports are lost with no real conference. No rivalry, it’s a disgrace to the fans, alumni and students

Comment

Originally posted by JBB View Post
                              No more conference championships. Other than basketball and football all other team sports are lost with no real conference. No rivalry, it’s a disgrace to the fans, alumni and students
                              I think you'll see super conferences with regional divisions in some of the other sports outside of football. Some rivalries will persist and some won't but I don't think everything is dead in the water.

Along the lines of rivarlies. I wanted to point people to this tweet from Jim Weber (ex-Lost Lettermen newsletter) https://twitter.com/JimMWeber/status...91597131452417

I'm looking for the reddit post that's been screen capped so I can check the replies.

Edit: I think this is the reddit link https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comment...cally_centric/
                              Last edited by Lobot; 07-03-2022, 01:18 PM.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X