This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion thread 2022

It’s not an exciting title but we probably ought to recycle every year.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

FSU openly commenting about survival (changing conferences). FSU President says Seminoles will be "very aggressive" in conference realignment (msn.com)

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
      FSU openly commenting about survival (changing conferences). FSU President says Seminoles will be "very aggressive" in conference realignment (msn.com)
      They also mention the Grant of Rights contract, which seems to be legit since it is also holding UT-Austin and OU in the Big 12. I have no doubt the ACC will get raided, it's just a matter of when. This is also why it is extremely important to be choiceful when the Big 12 expands. The SEC and Big Ten will battle for FSU, Clemson, Miami, North Carolina and little else. Should 20 be the magic number, then I doubt the Big ten adds 4 more Pac 10 schools and doesn't leave room for the top ACC schools.

One "ploy" I haven't seen yet is the SEC or Big Ten attack an ACC school with a package large enough to offset GoR losses. If I understand it correctly, any future tv revenue that would be due the ACC is only for home games, right? What if the SEC or Big 10 came at an ACC team with a request to play extra road games to make up for the revenue loss? Or offer to make schedule such that the away games would always be a tier 1 pay scale and home games tier 3. Somewhere out there, I have to believe Greg Sanky and Kevin Warren have a team of accountants playing all of these what if scenarios to make it worthwhile to break GoR and make more money than ACC pays out.

Back to the Big 12, the primary and only focus, should be outlasting the remnants of the Pac 10 by adding 2 or 4 of their top brands. When, not if, when the ACC breaks apart, teams like Pitt, Va Tech, Syracuse, Wake Forrest, Loseville, and Ga Tech could be looking for a home. As the dust settles and gets stirred up multiple times over the next decade, the Big 12 is in a good spot to survive and possibly thrive.

Another aspect of dust getting stirred up is the Playoff: I believe if the Big 12 can get 2 or 3 teams in the Playoff, we will get several Playoff game wins and win the whole thing just as much as the SEC or Big 10
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

On Monday, Action Network’s Brett McMurphy reported that Oregon and the Big Ten have had “preliminary discussions” about such a move.

Oregon and the Big Ten have reportedly begun ‘preliminary’ expansion talks (msn.com)

Comment

It would be a complete shame to see Pitt and Syracuse in particular wandering around homeless after what they pulled on the Big East.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            It would be a complete shame to see Pitt and Syracuse in particular wandering around homeless after what they pulled on the Big East.
            They could join what might be Washington St. and Oregon St. left of the Pac. However, I see in the long run that the Big 2 conferences dropping their dead weight and adding additional teams. Not sure Pitt or Cuse would fit the category of being added though. So as a guessing game, who do the B1G 10 and SEC drop and who do they add to make two 20 team conferences? I doubt if UC is included in the top 40 team leagues. The most interesting thing about all of this is that the press talks about how far the ACC, Big 12, and Pac are behind the B1G and SEC in revenue but they never mention that the rest of the conferences make nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

They could join what might be Washington St. and Oregon St. left of the Pac. However, I see in the long run that the Big 2 conferences dropping their dead weight and adding additional teams. Not sure Pitt or Cuse would fit the category of being added though. So as a guessing game, who do the B1G 10 and SEC drop and who do they add to make two 20 team conferences? I doubt if UC is included in the top 40 team leagues. The most interesting thing about all of this is that the press talks about how far the ACC, Big 12, and Pac are behind the B1G and SEC in revenue but they never mention that the rest of the conferences make nothing.
              I simply do not see them dropping the "dead weight". Those schools have allegiances that go back several decades or a century, plus you can only have multiple top tier teams if someone is losing. Parity in college athletics is not something the big boys want. The "dead weight" are like their younger siblings and the big boys have a protective wing over them.

Comment

I am beginning to think the end game for the Big Ten is 24. Breaks into 4 divisions of 6. The teams will play their division games, then one of the other three to get to 11 games. Game 12 will be a divisional round between the division champions, game 13 for the two winners. Then playoffs. The teams who do not win their division will play the team in an opposite division who finished in the same place as them.

Comment

Some talking head is suggesting that the ACC may fold. He states that it would take 8 schools to vote to dissolve the GOR. His scenario is that FSU, Clemson, Miami, North Carolina vote and move to the SEC AND either 2 teams (Virginia and Virginia Tech) go to the B1G 10 and then 2 or 4 teams (depending on if the B1G 10 takes any schools) go to the Big 12. It is possible that the ACC GOR folds.

Comment

Does said talking head work for ESPN?
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

ESPN would hate for that to happen. They have a good product for cheap with the ACC. They want to keep them together as long as possible

Comment

That would be ESPN *ESCAPE PLAN* ACC teams looking for way OUT || Conference Realignment - Bing video From about the 2:30 to 5:00 minute mark.

Comment

It isn't too much of a stretch as far as consipiracy theories go. I doubt Pitt and Loserville vote to dissolve ACC so that Clemson, FSU, Miami, N Caroline can go to SEC and Big Ten even though they could get 15-25 million more per year in the Big 12 (where they belong).I give this a 10-15% chance of happening within a year or two.

No ESPN will not like the loss of so much content, but they will like adding top tier programs to an SEC contract for less than they pay the ACC in total.

Comment

How about the B1G 10 taking 10 teams? The 10 programs that should join the Big Ten per FiveThirtyEight (msn.com)

Comment

About the Big 12 opening TV negotiations and what it means to the PAC. This link has several summaries of articles with the links to those. Pac-12 realignment, expansion live updates: Big 12 TV deal report bad news for conference (msn.com)

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X